Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed

/ Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed #11  
I had an in with a local company that had their own gas plant and hydro.

I would pick up cylinders and sell.

Plant sold off and exported and that ended a good side hustle.

I still fill my small Oxygen by cascading from other tanks.

Each week I buy Oxygen, Nitrogen, CO2, Nitrous Oxide and Air… the E tanks the most expensive way for me to buy so only for backup.

The jobber I use sells for less delivered than Prax where he buys in bulk to resell.

Seen Oxygen Cylinders still in service from 1920’s and 1930’s with some Linde from the era having the Nazi stamp… if only they could talk!
That would be interesting. During and before WWII Linde was headquartered in France as Liquide Aire, they were world- wide. They are now a US corporation having gone through several acquisitions and reforming over the years. All Praxair stores are now renamed Linde. They own Air Gas but have not seen a name change yet. I use Pacific/Central Welding Supply for my retirement gig of buying and selling used welding equipment mentioned previously.

Ron

/ Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed #12  
Mine was Pacific Oxygen Company based in Oakland CA with several California locations.

Here is one of the oldest I’ve come across in the Hospital medgas room… 1917… WWI era and still in use 105 years later for medical oxygen

1690241613303.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed #13  
I had an in with a local company that had their own gas plant and hydro.

I would pick up cylinders and sell.

Plant sold off and exported and that ended a good side hustle.

I still fill my small Oxygen by cascading from other tanks.

Each week I buy Oxygen, Nitrogen, CO2, Nitrous Oxide and Air… the E tanks the most expensive way for me to buy so only for backup.

The jobber I use sells for less delivered than Prax where he buys in bulk to resell.

Seen Oxygen Cylinders still in service from 1920’s and 1930’s with some Linde from the era having the Nazi stamp… if only they could talk!
Just thought of something relative to your hospital job. Always wondered if those large O2 storage tanks were LOX or O2 gas only. The ones at military air bases are LOX at gas pressure.

Ron

/ Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed #14  
These are standard cylinders at the satellite clinic…

Liquid Oxygen at the main hospital but the volume at the clinic isn’t cost effective for Liquid oxygen.

/ Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed
Was out checking out the 2 O2 tanks; both 'did' have raised Linde-Union Carbide on the neck rings. The O2 sticker is in good condition on the smaller tank. I went ahead and filed off the raised letters on that tank and will touch it up with rattle can green before trying swap.

These 4 tanks came from wife's grandads garage, and he's been dead for like 20 years; and his last few years, he wasn't real mobile; so probably last filled atleast 25 years ago.

There really doesn't seem to be a consistent policy, even in the same parent company, between each gas supplier. Figure, nothing to lose, the tanks are sitting out there not doing anything now. I do have a cutting torch set up; but it's ancient; hoses leak; regulators leak; and I just don't see much need for Oxy/Ace cutting. Figure if a grinder and cut offs won't do it; plasma cutters have gotten so cheap, oxy isn't worth it for hobby stuff.

Once touched up, will see is TSC will exchange. If I find I use it a lot; I can always switch to regular gas supplier.

Just for safety guys; no I did not grind a half full Oxy bottle; hand file; 20 minutes, and some sweet.

Follow up question; and I think I found answer; but there is conflicting info: Tig=flow meter (can use regulator, but common wisdom is not as good); Mig=normally regulator; if I want to do both, I should get a flow meter, right. I've seen guys saying there isn't an issue using flow meters for Mig, right?

/ Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed #17  
Pacific Oxygen used magnaflux to read filed cylinder rings…

I was surprised how the filings lined up to readable letters.

Companies come and go through mergers and going out of business…

I got a complete small set that was put out for bulky collection… tanks, cart, regulators, etc… one guage damaged from tipping over on sidewalk…

I guess if push comes to shove my
Model T had and acetylene generator on the running board.

/ Tanks, Rental, Customer, Throughbreed #18  
Like I said, I own all my bottles and every one has my company name on them and I have them filled, never exchange. I really dislike banged up bottles, makes my shop look bad...lol Still use a gas axe regularly, in fact I learned to weld with a gas axe and coat hangers for filler rod. Good primer for TIG far as I'm concerned. Lucky to have a compressor plant close by.

Checked, last Hydro was 1985. The small cylinder is approx 51-52" tall with the cap on, and just shy of 8" diameter. The worse shape tank is about 56-57" tall and roughly 9.25" diameter, dated 8-76+, and still partially full... "Propoert of National Cylinder.