TC35D - Weird Sound? (long)

/ TC35D - Weird Sound? (long) #11  
paccorti,
The front drive shaft covers that I am familiar with are telescoping and have a retaining bolt at the end. The bolt attaches to the front axle housing. If the bolt were gone, then the cover would rotate the way you said yours does. They are made this way so the drive shaft can be disconnected and removed. I hope that this helps.
JerryG

/ TC35D - Weird Sound? (long)
Just one last post on this topic. Last weekend I removed the driveshaft cover to look for any problems. After I put it back on the sound seems to have been exorcised from the tractor. Perhaps there was a small piece of debris in there. In any event I did try my microphone idea. Went to Radio Shack and bought a small condenser microphone, some wire and a microphone jack. Total expenditure about $5.50. Taped the microphone to the driveshaft cover and used the video camera per jgh's suggestion. It makes a perfect sound recording device all from the safety of the seat. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Peter

/ TC35D - Weird Sound? (long) #14  
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Shame everything isn't that easy to fix. But then again I would be out of a job it it was.
Gordon