TC45DA drain cock on cylinder block

/ TC45DA drain cock on cylinder block #11  
A good discussion. I have some experience with my old TC48DA to report, which uses that same SBA... valve pictured earlier. For your consideration:
Not using the lock nut does/did help some with the coolant weep.
The hex is 27mm or 1 1/16 inch; wrenches of both sizes will work.
The thread pitch appears to be 14 TPI, matching NPT or BSP.
The valve will thread a short distance into a 3/4 NPT fitting.
Removing the original one is HARD. I had cut a slot in a deep socket to clear the drain nipple, but broke off the side branch of the tee when the socket slipped off the fitting. That turned out to be a Good Thing, as the torque required to loosen and remove the fitting would probably have spread the modified socket beyond usability, or broken it. I suggest breaking off the side branch to start so you can get a socket on. It required all the force I could apply at the end of an 18" breaker bar to loosen the fitting, and to continue turning it for several turns. It would be a good idea to buy a flank drive (was a Snap-On patent, I think, but now seems available from Kobalt and others) type socket if you need to buy one, as the corners are well distorted with a plain 6-point deep socket - but it did work. I was quite afraid it would round off.
There's a lot of ...stuff... in the threads. I doubt it's corrosion, but suspect Shibaura's original thread sealant.
I did use the modified socket to install the new fitting, without cleaning out the block threads as I didn't have a suitable tap, but using several turns of teflon tape.
It seems leak free.
In view of the cost, I think if there's a "next time" I'll use NPT pipe fittings and a conventional block/radiator drain as others have posted.

/ TC45DA drain cock on cylinder block #12  
Here's another thread discussing that same part on the smaller TC33. Coolant leak question TC33D
It was mentioned there about the thread size being BSPT not NPT.
I’m not sure it’s BSPT as my 3/4” NPT worked to clear/clean the threads and I turned it with my fingers without a wrench.

However, the BSPT 3/4” adapter to 1/2” female pipe threaded in just fine too.