Tell me about cylinder safety locks

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #1  

needmoredirt

Silver Member
Tractor
L2501HST4WD, BadBoy ZT, JD 125, JKU Rubicon
@scootr got me thinking, my old butt has much to learn here.

What a great item, if they...

don't fail from hydraulic failure (I don't know diddly about hydraulics, power beyond, you name it),

buckle when the loader control gets pushed forward or thrown into float.

I understand eliminate all the weight by removing bucket, forks etc is the safe way, but what if not?

Don't know the loader weight w/ssqa or how much these (little?) cylinders can handle let alone what a safety backup lock could.

Seems I want some, are there boolit proof versions? :p

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #2  
Well, it's rare but it could happen. My SS Bobcat has factory cylinder locks bolted on the sides of the machine.
Actually one was missing so I got the idea to make a second one using 2 pieces of 1.5 angle iron. And I used them when I changed the seat or a belt, any time I have to work under the raised bucket.
Fast forward to the Kubota and it was just a natural add on. Overkill by some but peace of mind to me.
My Terex Tractor had one on one side that flipped down and pinned into place.
There are 2 examples of factory recognition for these.

Attachments

• IMG_3625.JPG
    IMG_3625.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 172
   / Tell me about cylinder safety locks
They seem like a "feel good item", but red flag "won't prevent", "or an accidental"???

"Important: Always remove front loader attachments when servicing the tractor! These stops won’t prevent them from coming down in the event of mechanical failure or an accidental bumping of joystick/hydraulic controls."

I MIGHT understand about 1/2 of that, What good is insurance that doesn't work?

If total failure is the concern, a couple 2x6's or 4x4's locked into place top and bottom would be a better pia solution if they're strong enough to hold X,XXX lbs. Simplest solution is take the FEL off.

If simple safety, this will prevent X. How to use CL, what NOT to do would be handy and if you do X because they weigh and the cylinders are X you gonna die, screw up cylinders/FEL, etc.

I'll go due diligence on the subject if complicated (learning all of it can be - LOL) .

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #4  
Is the caution the “stops won’t prevent falling” lawyer speak cover your backside policy or fact?

With engine off and empty bucket the stops had better work. Full bucket with engine trying to power down then may or may not.

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #5  
@scootr Overkill beats being killed!

When doing repairs under a loader, similar to Scootr, if none exist, fashion one or two out of a piece of heavy angle iron with the bolt ears to keep in place.

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks
What's the best way to eliminate hydraulic pressure or just turn key off and lock the loader controls and lock the locks in place, so, you know, the locks are locked?

Thinking pressure of loader WEIGHT on locks would be wanted (maybe not?).

I'm really trying to make LIGHT of this good practice :LOL:

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #7  
U can go to your local junk yard and get some “U” channels.. & customize them as needed..

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #8  
I remove the bucket so the weight is only the loader arms. I put my safety locks on, secure them, and no worries.

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #9  
I detest getting under anything that might squash me like a bug. I have a rock/boulder, probably 36'ish inches in diameter, sitting in front of the house. I just drive up to it, rest bucket on it, put in park, stabliizers down as my parking brake and catiously do what I need to do. (still hate being under it even if it can't come down)

Looking to build a detached garage..... made a comment to wife, I should dig a trench in it so I have a pit where I can go underneith the backhoe or tractor or car. Much like an oil change place.

I'm not sure but I'm thinking the look on her face was pretty unequivical.... no!

/ Tell me about cylinder safety locks #10  
I detest getting under anything that might squash me like a bug. I have a rock/boulder, probably 36'ish inches in diameter, sitting in front of the house. I just drive up to it, rest bucket on it, put in park, stabliizers down as my parking brake and catiously do what I need to do. (still hate being under it even if it can't come down)

Looking to build a detached garage..... made a comment to wife, I should dig a trench in it so I have a pit where I can go underneith the backhoe or tractor or car. Much like an oil change place.

I'm not sure but I'm thinking the look on her face was pretty unequivical.... no!
I service my tractor in my barn. I raise the loader bucket, then use 5/16” chain around the loader crosspiece to secure it to the steel roof truss in case of hydraulic failure.