tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer?

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #1  

miles2go

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST 4WD
OK, so I want to buy a tractor to help do the chores my wife and I have been doing (or not doing) by hand for the past decade.

Everyone on this board says that the quality of the dealer is really important.

How do I, as first-time tractor shopper, recognize a good dealer from a dud? What are the tell-tale signs?

I'm shopping for a tractor package in the $15K-$20K range (maybe up to $25K if it's the cat's pj's) so I'm probably a pretty small fish to some dealers.

If I'm dealing with a salesman at a larger dealer how do I know that what he promises after the sale is going to happen? Is it better to be dealing with the owner or owner's family at a smaller dealer?

Our area is flush with retired folk with acreage and fat pensions, so I'm concerned that my business might not be that important to some dealers. (My perspective; theirs might be different.)

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #2  
Hopefully you find a dealer that thinks EVERY SALE is important. Personally, their attitude is what I look for. I am not big on how clean or nice the place looks. Most mechanics and technical people have clutter, so I don't put much weight on presentation. Although, I need a dealer I can talk to and one who understands my needs. You will know within 10 minutes if they care and want to do business. Go in, tell them what you plan on doing, and what you are considering to do the job. If they don't provide any insight or don't seem interested, then move on... There are of course glaring signs of a bad dealer, but you would spot that without help from us. I would ask around, word of mouth is worth more than any advertising.

Joe

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #3  
I'd suggest paying the dealerships a visit and feeling out the salesmen. I've done that, and within 2 minutes I can tell if the salesman wants to sell me a tractor or not. Next, see if you can talk to tractor owners in the area and ask them to give you some insight as to their experience with certain dealerships.

I can say this much...I talked with a salesman with Quality Equipment in Lafayette, LA recently. He stated that lately, CUTs, SCUTs and Utility tractors are their meat and potatoes, and that a large Ag tractor sale is just bonus for them. So you may find very eager salesmen when you start looking for the tractor of your dreams.

Just my two cents worth.

BC

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #4  
Enough "small fish" add up to a big school. In light of todays AG market, and the ever-decreasing numbers of big tractors they sell, I'm sure most any good dealer would love to have one more customer.

Make the dealer answer every question you have. At any point, if they don't comply with your wishes, go elsewhere. You're the one with the money. That's what makes the whole deal move. You need a tractor, they need your money. Other dealers have tractors. You have the upper hand.

Any good dealer will realize that you are making a major purchase. They won't expect you to make an on-the-spot decision. Take your time. Ask questions (on here). Compare dealers like you compare features on the tractors.

Finally, ask a few owners that have bought from the dealer you're favoring. Get their "read" on how the deal went. Ask about follow-up service, warrenty claims, and general "good will" after the sale.

Become an informed consumer.

Then roll the dice like the rest of us have done . /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #5  
When I was in the market for a new tractor last year I visited every make and model dealer in a 50 mile radius of my humble abode. When I started my quest I thought that I had a particular make & model in mind but soon learned that not only were there many machines of equal performance & value but also many differing attitudes among the many dealerships I visited.
I made it clear that I was looking for a new tractor and what size I was looking at. Being in the service industry and working in both the sales and service side of it I had a pretty good idea on how to present what I was looking for and that wasteing ones time was not my intention. I was a bonefide buyer and I wanted to not only test out the product but also the support behind it. Even tho I was looking at machines in the $16K to $18K range, I consider that a large enough sum to pay for a product to where I felt my time was a valuble as theirs. As it ended up, I didn't purchase the the brand/model I started out to buy. I even visited more dealerships that carried that particular brand than any of the others. Basically I didn't go with that brand because of the way these dealers and I interacted and the lack there-of. Their machine was a great machine but I didn't want to do business with them. Simple as that.

Heres how I judged the dealer(s).
1) How they approached me. If I had to hunt down a Rep to help me then that was strike one. There are ways one can tell that someone would like to speak with a rep, standing in the middle of a showroom trying to look a rep in the eye is a good one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've stood in a few showrooms and been basically ignored on several occasions.

2) The Rep's attitude. Was he friendly, glad I was considering spending my money at his business or was I just wasteing his time? I had one Rep ask if he could help another person that had come in and I said yes but that I only had a limited amount of time and I wanted to test a unit out and get his best price. After approx 10 minutes of me waiting I went by his office and the other person saw me and said, if you need to get back with that other fellow go on ahead, to which he said, not knowing I was just outside his door "oh he can wait", to which I then poked my head in and said "no I can't" then left. I wrote that dealer off.

3) Truthfulness. Is he actually blowing smoke up me? It's easy to tell an honest mistake from an out & out lie and if'n I catch you in one, you ain't getting my hard earned $$$'s. Lie to me in presales theres no tell'n what you'll tell me in post sales.
Do your homework and and see how they present the product & dealership.

4) Talk to the parts and service people. You never want to think that your tractor won't break or need service but it will. You'll be dealing more with these folks after the sale. Are they knowledgable? Friendly? Do you see manuals and a good spare parts inventory? Modern dealerships have PC's to where the techs can go on line and get manufacturer tech assistance if needed nowadays.

5) The negotiation. How high is their 1st price? If it's way up there then they want to play the game instead of working with you. What your looking for besides a good price is what other "value added" item or service do you get with it. Some will throw in the 50 hr service, some just the parts for it. Some will through in a one time free pickup & delivery and others will discount the trip charge. Some will offer to send a tech out if thats the easiest way to fix a problem for both sides and some just have such a great service reputation that in itself is enough value added service to swing a deal.

6) Condition of the shop. Shops by there very nature aren't the cleanest of environments but a well maintained shop is a good indication of that shops performance. I've worked in many different shops back in the day and there is definitely a difference. Theres always exceptions but as a rule I don't like to deal with someone that has a nasty disorganized shop.

The dealer & brand/model I went with wasn't the cheapest in price but they were the best product and value added dealership I found to be the easiest to deal with at that price. The sales Rep is still there and he still greets me by my 1st name as does the parts guys when I come in for maintenance parts. The owner also greets me. So far I haven't had to use their service folks but if the need should arrise, their well organized shop should handle fine. They valued my business and continue to earn it post sales.

Volfandt

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #6  
Outstanding reply, Volfandt. I don't think anyone could have said it better.

BC

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #7  
I am not sure how a dealership is supposed to know who wants to be pestered and who wants to be left alone, and many times, there are people like me, who would prefer to not be pestered until I ask for help. I would judge their eagerness to help you after you actually go to the desk, counter, or reception area, and _ask_ for a salesman to help you. Lots of people standing around in dealerships are not shopping for anything - they are just there waiting for the parts guy to fetch their order, or just dropped off their machine in the service department, or are standing around waiting for their buddy to finish his business with the dealer, etc. If you ask for assistance and none is forthcoming, then you can judge them to be rude. In general, my experience is that a tractor dealership is going to be a bit less of a high pressure environment. I wouldn't exactly expect eager, young, salespeople running out the door in the rain to kick the tires with everybody they see get out of their truck on the far side of the lot.

As far as when the salesman was already with a customer, well it was just plain rude for him to go off and help somebody else. Unless they have a set appointment, Miss Manners would say that each customer deserves the courtesy of being assisted in the order they arrived. Of course, they should always be courteous enough to let them know how long the expected wait will be with a "Somebody will be with you in a minute", or "I will be with you next," or even "I am afraid we are swamped today, there are three other people waiting already - please help yourself to some coffee and the brochures on the rack if you care to wait..."

As far as making sure the dealership will do what they promise after the sale, the best advice is "GET IT IN WRITING" After that, "GET IT SIGNED". Make sure everything on your side of the deal is included in the paperwork and not left to "oh thats our standard policy", or "of course thats included, we just don't write it down here" If there is any resistance to your request that something be added in writing, well then maybe they didn't intend it to be part of the deal.

You may find some resistance to put it in the paperwork if the salesman is "unofficially" promising you something his boss would never approve. Its basically an offer to make you an accomplice in stealing the promised item. If you feel OK with that, thats your decision. If he gets caught in the attempt, or doesn't follow through, you might not have any recourse.

For example, when we purchased my Wife's Ford, I asked for an extra (3rd) set of keys including the remote because I know they are expensive if lost, but probably have a pretty low actual cost, so I negotiated those into the deal. Sure enough, when the truck was delivered, no extra (3rd) set of keys and the explanation from the guy in the prep department was, "They come with two, not three". The original saleman was not working that day. Referencing the paperwork with "Extra (3rd) set of keys and remote" listed on it solved the dispute in seconds with no hard feelings either way. Without that paperwork, the scenario would have been a bit different: If they don't give me the keys, I think they are cheating me, and if they cave in, they think I might be trying to cheat them...

Salespeople may have great intentions, but if something is disputed that may have serious financial consequences, then they really don't have the authority to make that promise. Nor are they the one who has to back it up. Salespeople leave dealerships all the time. Also, believe it or not, customers lie about such verbal promises all the time, so it always is an awkward situation when you are not dealing with the original promiser. I'd expect the salesman to follow through on the things under his personal control - like when he will call you back, but not on some significant monetary promise like "free service for life". Get those kind of promises in writing if they really intend to follow through on it - its part of the deal. If they are offended by you asking for it in writing, then maybe they didn't really mean what they promised, now, did they?

- Rick

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #8  
Hang around the dealer at different times, and if there are unsatisfied customers, it will show. If sales people and customers are jovial and kidding around (like my dealer), then one can suspect they are happy and comfortable with the dealer.
Look around the yard. Look like the tractors have been setting without activity? Maybe a reason for that. How does the area look, picked up and neat? Then maybe a clue as to how you will also be treated. Take some time to talk to the salesman about other things. Are they a 'blowhard' in conversations other than about tractors? Always have an answer for everything? There is a new one at my dealer now that I wouldn't trust anything he says. Just from the way he talks and wants to make it sound like he knows it all.
As mentioned, talk to others that have the brand you are looking at. They will soon tell you if they are not happy with a dealer.
Good luck with your selection. Like with car dealers, sometimes these things are not easy to sort out until AFTER you purchase.

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #9  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here's my 'standard' post about how to evaluate a dealer...

When you're at the dealer;

Check out the service area. Is it clean? Are the mechanics working? Does it look professional? Or are people standing about drinking coffee and talking? Do the mechanics wear uniforms or are they dressed in jeans and T shirts? See any trucks and trailers owned by the dealer indicating they do pick up and delivery? How many of them are there? Big enough to handle your size tractor?

Check out the showroom/sales area. Clean and neat or a pig sty? Some manufacturers have dealer awards for sales and/or service. See any hanging on the wall? Are there empty desks in the sales area? If so, why are people leaving? Do they sell attachments? If so, are they major brand name attachments or no name ones? Some major brands have dealer requirements such as stocking a certain number of models and parts to fix them. If (fill in the blank of a major vendor) is willing to trust these guys, they are probably OK.

Does the place look busy? Not so busy that you're ignored, but busy enough to know that other people trust and like the place.

Walk around the outside. Is there used equipment for sale indicating recent trade ins? Is there a good selection of new tractors and attachments? Are some of the new tractors equipped with a FEL so you can see how they look and try them out? Do some of the tractors have attachments on the three point hitch so you can try them out as well? Is there a paved, grass and dirt area for you to test drive the tractor? Will they loan you a tractor to try out on your property?

Check out the Parts Department. Lots of shelves of parts behind the counter? If not, you may be waiting if you need one. Check the shelves on your side of the counter. Are there any? Bolts, nuts, paint, oil, pins, i.e., the odds and ends and consumables a tractor needs.

Does the dealer sell other things, e.g., Ag tractors or other large farming equipment, lawn and garden tractors, chain saws, string trimmers, things that indicate the dealer is a thriving business. This can also be a problem, i.e., the dealer is a jack of all trades and a master of none or that they concentrate on their large farmer customer base to the detriment of their other customers.

Does the dealer have separate departments for each line (Large Ag, Compact, Lawn and Garden) of equipment they sell and service with separate service trucks?

Check out their web site, assuming they have one. Professional looking or are the Copyright dates still 2003? Send them an email via their web site. Get a response?

Call them on the phone. Get a cheerful receptionist or Bubba back in the garage. Or do you descend into a phone system never to emerge? How many times does the phone ring? Do they have toll free numbers?

Do they take credit cards? Do they offer local bank financing?

None of these things are fool proof. Mechanics can wear uniforms and still be incompetent. People can be friendly and still give you a raw deal. Just some things to think about as you visit each dealer. All of these things help you form an overall opinion of the dealer and what kind of support he will provide.

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #10  
Nice responses guys. I just responded so that I could save it in my "favourites" !!