tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer?

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #11  
I strongly disagree with any approach which suggests just taking a trip to the dealer. You will be intercepted and given their best foot forward, shuffled away from the dirty laundry, and shown only shiny new tractors, with that shiny new tractor smell.

Websites don't help you when your tractor's broke down.
All salesman want to sell stuff. Some guys are waiting for the big ag purchase, which you and I are not.

THE KEY is to talk with someone who has bought from that dealer, that salesma...before. Then talk with someone else. Ask how the tractor made it back - do they charge to pick it up? Some salesman transport your tractor for warranty work as a service the first year. (rare, but out there)

The key is service. You can buy a tractor from a guy onthe internet, but the reason you go to a dealer is service. Talk with the service manager.

Are there a whole bunch of broke tractors sitting around? are the same ones there a month later? Why?

If at a JD dealer, ask him why you sholdn't buy a Kubota? If a Kubota Dealer, ask why not a New Holland? a Kioti? you get the idea. Hopefully the salesman willnot bad mouth the competition but will state objective advantages - the JD has the best price point on the 5103 - the New Holland has a solid metal gas tank - the Kubota 00 series has front wheel diff lock...etc.

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer? #12  
<font color="blue"> I strongly disagree with any approach which suggests just taking a trip to the dealer. </font>
Just curious. Who suggested just taking a trip to the dealer that you're strongly disagreeing with?

/ tell-tale signs of good vs bad dealer?
I appreciate Andrew's suggestions (and everyone else who has contributed to this thread).

I took Andrew's remarks to mean that one should not rely solely on the direct testimony of the sales staff about their product -- but should also gauge their trustworthiness by how they talk about tractors in general and by the physical evidence visible on the premises. And the testimony of those who have dealt with the dealer.

Then I looked at Andrew's profile and I discover that he is a legal professional! No wonder I got in a legal mind-set when reading his post. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Although I am no lawyer, I can relate to this approach -- and it will encourage me to network more with local tractor owners and businessmen to learn more about the dealers.