Temporary Loctite?

/ Temporary Loctite? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I've got a bolt on a timing points cover for an engine that keeps working itself loose. I want this bolt to be removeable, so I don't want to put anything permanent on it.

Is there something out there like loctite that will hold a bolt, but can be removed if necessary?

/ Temporary Loctite? #2  
I would just use the blue loctite or a similiar product. Just be sure to remove all oil film with some brake cleaner. I like the chlorinated types of brake cleaner the best.

/ Temporary Loctite?
wrenchturner said:
I would just use the blue loctite or a similiar product. Just be sure to remove all oil film with some brake cleaner. I like the chlorinated types of brake cleaner the best.

Blue Loctite... I didn't even know there was such a thing. I only ever knew about the red stuff. Shows you all what a novice I really am :eek:.

/ Temporary Loctite? #4  
Being an old gezzer it has been some yrs since I delt with loctite. Loctite threadlocker comes in a number of varieties. 222 is the least strong and intended for small machine screws. Next up the line is 242 (think it is the blue color) and is the product to use for bolts that you want to be removable. Up at the top is 272, the red stuff, it is for non-removable applications. Numerous other loctite products not intended as a thread locker. Remember Loctite is a brand name and not a product.

For the application mentioned in the first post I'd recommend 222.

/ Temporary Loctite? #5  
I've used a dab of silicone sealant lots of times when I wanted to stop something from loosening, but didn't want a PITA when I needed to loosen it later...

/ Temporary Loctite? #6  
I agree with the other's, Blue #242 is what you need:D

/ Temporary Loctite? #7  
Skyco said:
I've used a dab of silicone sealant lots of times when I wanted to stop something from loosening, but didn't want a PITA when I needed to loosen it later...

I too use blue rtv. It holds but not to tight.

M.D.

/ Temporary Loctite? #8  
I have a big bottle of blue and a small one of red. I rarely use the red, but was told by the mechanics at both New Holland and Case to use the blue on everything.

Eddie

/ Temporary Loctite? #9  
I have always used 242 ( blue) Even on my race car engines

/ Temporary Loctite? #10  
There is another color of loctite brand threadlocker. It is green in color and is the strongest to my knowledge. GM puts it in some bolts such as rack and pinion mounts and is so strong the bolt flats will round off when removing. I have had to heat the bolts to a few hundred degrees to melt the this green stuff. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the part number.