Temporary Loctite?

/ Temporary Loctite? #11  
I think the green is the one you put on bolts that are already screwed in, it then seeps into the threads without having to remove the bolt.
Use the blue, it will hold and can be removed with a wrench when needed.

/ Temporary Loctite? #12  
The low strength loctite 222 is purple. I use it all the time.

/ Temporary Loctite? #13  
Green Locktite is a sleeve retainer. It can be used to hold bearings into sleeves. It is essentially non-removable, so I would not recommend it on fasteners that you intend to unscrew in the future.

/ Temporary Loctite?
wrenchturner said:
There is another color of loctite brand threadlocker. It is green in color and is the strongest to my knowledge. GM puts it in some bolts such as rack and pinion mounts and is so strong the bolt flats will round off when removing. I have had to heat the bolts to a few hundred degrees to melt the this green stuff. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the part number.

I saw that stuff when I was at the auto parts store looking for the blue stuff. The green had better be good since it was $12. for the smallest tube.

/ Temporary Loctite? #16  
CurlyDave said:
According to the local auto parts store, green Locktite is the lowest strength of all. I have used it and I think they are right.
The greens are typically the Retaining compounds and are the strongest. There are some greens in the Threadlocker series - I believe meant for wicking into preassembled fasteners-not as strong. I use green Retaining Compound #638 almost exclusively. It is one of the very stongest, but is not a hi temp retainer. If it gets up to 2-300degrees it weakens by about 50%. Most everything can take 300 w/o damage, so you can get it off without damaging things.
larry

/ Temporary Loctite? #17  
There are two different green Loctite products, the one linked above by CurlyDave is the 290 low viscosity wicking type. https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/3184021E8BB54341882571870000D626/$File/290-EN.pdf

There is also a 609 which is a medium to high strength for retaining say a shaft in a bore.https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/3E906D6B842166B0882571870000D855/$File/609-EN.pdf

Confusing as they are both green ;)

Added in edit- Spyderlk beat me by 2 minutes and he points out yet another green one..:eek:

Guess one better check the number as the color is almost useless to identify....so we have red, green, blue, purple and I just read on their site a black, which I've never run across....

/ Temporary Loctite? #18  
I use the red loctite all the time on valve assemblies. If you use just a small drop then you can take out the bolt with no problem. Never use red loctite on a screw head bolt though, you will be sorry.

/ Temporary Loctite? #19  
Ken Cunningham said:
I use the red loctite all the time on valve assemblies. If you use just a small drop then you can take out the bolt with no problem. Never use red loctite on a screw head bolt though, you will be sorry.
Perfect! I find that the strength is reliably tailorable by limiting the quantity used of the stronger types. That way you dont have to keep so many different types around. You have to figure in the number of threads engaged and the bolt strength. With the strongest compounds; #s 635, 638, 620HT [greens], and the green threadlocker #270 you can get in removal trouble with 6 filled threads on a coarse Gr2 bolt unless youre free to heat the joint. Even that isnt a real good option with 620 which remains strong to 450F. Use of strong bolts lets you fill the joint and still be able to remove.
larry