Terragrinder

/ Terragrinder #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
I understand that chances are slim no one here has any experience with this HowToDrillAWell.com is now DrillAWell.com but I figured I would ask.

Ive hand dug down 27 feet on my property in central Florida only to find damp sand.

Ive tried in a couple of different places at the same depth. I sorta had a feeling I would come across that.

Im considering very strongly the kit these people sell, Im not interested in paying someone to do a job I can do myself.

Any helpful comments appreciated. Thanks

/ Terragrinder #2  
I have not heard of or used one but if you have sand, I suppose it is worth a shot.
Here in Vermont we have more rock than dirt so I had a local well driller do mine years ago. 205 ft with 5 gpm.

/ Terragrinder #3  
I have not seen nor heard of THIS particular brand. However - it was common practice for homesteaders to "hydradrill - hydrajet" their own wells in AK. It was a high pressure water jetting system. This was done because many homesteads were WAY beyond being just remote.

They worked pretty well because the overburden was usually clay or silt or a mix. They would go down 25 to 50 feet. This would put the bottom of the well right on top of the glacial material - glacial outwash. If they were fortunate there was water there. Properly done it would also exclude the water from any permafrost ponds or soils - bog water.

/ Terragrinder #4  
I understand that chances are slim no one here has any experience with this HowToDrillAWell.com is now DrillAWell.com but I figured I would ask.

Ive hand dug down 27 feet on my property in central Florida only to find damp sand.

Ive tried in a couple of different places at the same depth. I sorta had a feeling I would come across that.

Im considering very strongly the kit these people sell, Im not interested in paying someone to do a job I can do myself.

Any helpful comments appreciated. Thanks

You cannot legally drill a well on your property without a permit from the State.
There are construction standards for water wells that include surface sealing, casing requirements, etc.
I would suggest you avail yourself of the information about both before beginning your project.

/ Terragrinder #5  
You cannot legally drill a well on your property without a permit from the State.
There are construction standards for water wells that include surface sealing, casing requirements, etc.
I would suggest you avail yourself of the information about both before beginning your project.

"You cannot legally drill a well on the property without a permit from the State....." - Fixed it for you. :rolleyes:

/ Terragrinder #6  
"You cannot legally drill a well on the property without a permit from the State....." - Fixed it for you. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you are trying to say...
How about "....not legally drill a well in Florida...."?

/ Terragrinder #7  

Apparently that's not true in Florida. It appears to be covered by many water management districts, and they, not the state, are the ones that issue permits if they are required. There's several articles that talk about some districts requiring permits. Some don't. Some exempt homeowners from 2" and under wells. Some don't. Some require a permit. Some don't. Some require just a report, not a permit. Some don't. It all depends on where you live in that state, or probably any state for that matter, as to if a permit is required or not, and which agency has the authority over ground water.

/ Terragrinder
Apparently that's not true in Florida. It appears to be covered by many water management districts, and they, not the state, are the ones that issue permits if they are required. There's several articles that talk about some districts requiring permits. Some don't. Some exempt homeowners from 2" and under wells. Some don't. Some require a permit. Some don't. Some require just a report, not a permit. Some don't. It all depends on where you live in that state, or probably any state for that matter, as to if a permit is required or not, and which agency has the authority over ground water.

This!