Tesla semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Tesla semi #11  
Yeah, picking them up after the depreciation hit is smart.

Ride quality is always subjective but I like it on the air suspension. The battery pack sits so low that the center of gravity is actually below the axle. For a car that's ~5k GWV it has virtually zero body roll because of it.

Noise is great, there's a slight gear-whine you get out of the step-down gear they use but much better than anything I've been in.

One area you'll probably see the BMW better on is interior and fit+finish. Personally I've never really cared about that so much and I find the minimal style to be nice but some people get picky about it.

Really the best thing to do is give one a test drive, although I think the closest for you would be Seattle which is a bit of a drive. It's hard to describe how "snappy" they feel since you've got no momentum in the drivetrain or transmission that has to shift down. From creeping at < 2mph up to cruising at 70 they're just super responsive. Also mountains of torque from any point. Really needs to be experienced to give it justice.

/ Tesla semi #12  
I did get a chance to right seat test one out at their R&D center years ago. Visiting their facility on business... had to sign a non disclosure agreement first. One thing that was extremely impressive was the zero to 60. Way quicker off the line than anything I have ever driven! :thumbsup:

Always wondering about battery life though. Heard the battery replacement was $$$$$$$. Maybe they have improved to the point that this isn't an issue. It was early on.

/ Tesla semi #13  
Yeah, they've largely solved the battery life problem by getting proper thermal management. Like I said earlier, I've got 61k and only seeing ~2% degradation. There's a couple 100k+ ones out there that show degradation actually tapers off after the first ~30k miles.

/ Tesla semi #14  
Yeah, they've largely solved the battery life problem by getting proper thermal management. Like I said earlier, I've got 61k and only seeing ~2% degradation. There's a couple 100k+ ones out there that show degradation actually tapers off after the first ~30k miles.
Good to hear... trying to get my butt inside the doors at the new Reno battery plant.

/ Tesla semi
:banghead:

That wind turbine produces drag. That drag has to be overcome.

The Museum of Unworkable Devices

great reply, thanks. Ok Ok....but I do like the magnet one!
but I wonder why one has to assume the loss is 100 percent.
Was thinking while some drag, might be a net add.
But I'll accept the fact that isn't likely.

Now where can I find a great big magnet...;)

Several thousand pounds of battery weight shouldn't affect a big rig like it would a car. Really I would think it's all about will the battery pack last long enough and will it
move the truck in the manner needed. Maintaining speed up a long hill is likely a lot more important than fast acceleration. Plus you have to charge a huge battery pack now, where's that going to be done? Most likely some overnight truck terminal.

Personally, once you get to sixty in under five seconds, more power isn't very useful most of the time, and I'm a guy
whose nickname in high school was dual quad... Always wanted 20 more hp and 20 less pounds (on me). sound familiar?....

By promoting the Insanity Mode, Tesla is just using great marketing. Provide an awesome experience no one else can give for the price.
Though I suppose if you bought a Dodge Demon for the same price you could get the same rubbery face effect.
Personally I want the interior to be as nice as it can be. And not so complicated I need a 800 page manual that is so big they can no longer print manuals.
And what's with these silly shift knobs coming out now on new cars? Pushbuttons on the dash all over the place now, like the early Chryslers.
Anything I suppose to get folks to make sure they are in Park.

Lots of folks wonder if Musk is going too many places too fast all at one time. But so far, his rockets take off and his cars have been well received.
Interior too minimal for me, but I sure like the idea.
All they need is a rotary dash exhaust sound selector knob for:
1. Mustang 5.0
2. GM small block
3. GM big block
4. Chrysler Hemi
5. Your pick

/ Tesla semi #16  
great reply, thanks. Ok Ok....but I do like the magnet one!
but I wonder why one has to assume the loss is 100 percent.
Was thinking while some drag, might be a net add.
But I'll accept the fact that isn't likely.

Now where can I find a great big magnet...;)

Several thousand pounds of battery weight shouldn't affect a big rig like it would a car. Really I would think it's all about will the battery pack last long enough and will it
move the truck in the manner needed. Maintaining speed up a long hill is likely a lot more important than fast acceleration. Plus you have to charge a huge battery pack now, where's that going to be done? Most likely some overnight truck terminal.

Personally, once you get to sixty in under five seconds, more power isn't very useful most of the time, and I'm a guy
whose nickname in high school was dual quad... Always wanted 20 more hp and 20 less pounds (on me). sound familiar?....

By promoting the Insanity Mode, Tesla is just using great marketing. Provide an awesome experience no one else can give for the price.
Though I suppose if you bought a Dodge Demon for the same price you could get the same rubbery face effect.
Personally I want the interior to be as nice as it can be. And not so complicated I need a 800 page manual that is so big they can no longer print manuals.
And what's with these silly shift knobs coming out now on new cars? Pushbuttons on the dash all over the place now, like the early Chryslers.
Anything I suppose to get folks to make sure they are in Park.

Lots of folks wonder if Musk is going too many places too fast all at one time. But so far, his rockets take off and his cars have been well received.
Interior too minimal for me, but I sure like the idea.
All they need is a rotary dash exhaust sound selector knob for:
1. Mustang 5.0
2. GM small block
3. GM big block
4. Chrysler Hemi
5. Your pick

It's not 100 percent loss, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 50 percent efficient. How does that equate to a net gain?

/ Tesla semi #17  
Even diesel locomotives are essentially electrical vehicles...

/ Tesla semi
It's not 100 percent loss, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 50 percent efficient. How does that equate to a net gain?

Apparently it would need a warp flux manipulator. It generates a black hole in front of your machine and you are just sucked forward.
You heard it here first :dance1:

clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about :D

/ Tesla semi
Even diesel locomotives are essentially electrical vehicles...

yes, running on the skinniest of low friction tires too...

/ Tesla semi #20  
A coal fired truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.