Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #11  
Northwest Airlines was another one of those. Roll the presses and print a ton of stock. Go into bankruptcy, the stock goes to zero. Then come out of bankruptcy head to the basement and print some new stock. Leaving those before bankruptcy with a worthless piece of paper.
I've got a 2007 Tahoe. I just have made up my mind I'm not supporting those companies that are against what I believe in.
IMHO

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax
So what was the sticker price on that 2011? Was it one of the 60,000$+ trucks we see?

I believe the sticker on this truck was about $52,500 or somewhere thereabouts. It is priced and equipped very similarly to the 2010 Dodge Ram that I test drove and 2010 Ford F350 that I test drove. They were all crew cab, 4x4's with whatever off road package that manufacturer offers equipped with a diesel and automatic. All the trucks had cloth interior, power windows, door locks, seat adjusters and mirrors. They all had CD players. They were what I would consider mid line to upper mid line trucks. I hate leather seats because I don't like having to condition them so I will NOT buy a truck equipped with leather if there is any chance that I can avoid it. This particular truck was a SLE trim level. I honestly don't know how the Dodge was so much less than the other trucks in that heavy duty pickup truck shootout because the one that I test drove didn't have leather seats or navigation or a lot of the other goodies that the test truck had and it was also priced right around $50,000 to $52,000.

As for the whole not wanting to buy GM vehicles argument I am very ambivalent about it. Ford was in just as bad of shape as GM and Chrysler were in 2008 and 2009, but they were in bad shape a few years earlier. I remember there was talk about Ford not surviving back when Lehman Brothers was still on top of the world. The only reason why Ford didn't take bailout money was because their worst times were just a little sooner than GM and Chrysler. Ford would have taken money the same as GM and Chrysler if their timing was the same. Ford will also be in just as bad of shape as GM and Chrysler have the potential of still being in a few years too unless they break apart the UAW or move the vast majority of their manufacturing overseas or to non union states. There was bad management at the top of every American car company and they certainly played a role in the problems but the UAW and their absurd contracts and unwillingness to give up many of their lavish benefits or do more work for the same money was even more to blame. I'm very unhappy that GM stock and bond holders took it in the shorts, as I believe that it should have been the UAW that took the hit instead or at least shared more of the pain. However, the pragmatist in me realizes that in this day and age with the government wanting more and more influence over our lives and at the same time more susceptible to outright bribery on the part of lobbyists than ever before that any of the American car companies could very well have ended up in the same shoes as GM. If the financial meltdown happened two years sooner Ford would have been the one largely owned by the government and GM would have been in a better position to weather the storm. The fact is that there was no way that the government was not going to do something to prop up the UAW when there were thousands of votes to buy regardless of what company happened to be in the worst shape at the time.

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #13  
Many here had posted that they will not buy GM again when Obamanamics took over.

i'd never make a blanket statement based on someone else's decision. sure it's nice to take the moral high ground, but if you try to take the high road every time, you'll never get anywhere.

i haven't the time or ambition to read everything that went on that soured people's opinion of gm, but i'd wager you'd have a hard time discerning between political rhetoric and actual fact anyways. i have vague memories of 1979 and the chrysler/iacocca debacle, and it's pretty similar to everything that went on over the last couple years with gm. i'm sure if you dig through ford's history you'll find some sort of skeletons in the closet too. face it, there's no saints out there when it comes to big business. don't try to fool yourself into thinking that there are.

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #14  
Lt, did you look at any stats on the towing capacity? I understand that the 2011 GM's will be able to tow up to full rated capacity without any WD hitch necessary.

>>>>Towing capacity
That leads to the biggest news of all: The 2011 Chevy Silverado HD doesn’t require a weight-distributing hitch to up to its maximum 16,000-pound trailering limit on the Dually and 13,000 pounds on single-rear-wheel models.

The weight-carrying and weight-distribution limits are the same. (Check out our towing story on pg. 26 for more on these limits.)The maximum towing capacity (13,000 to 16,000 pounds depending on model) is the result of using the protocols for the upcoming SAE J2807 testing standards, which will be put into play in 2013. This puts GM trucks two years or more ahead of the new towing certification program.<<<

www.propickupmag.com

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #15  
To my knowledge GM 2500 has not recently prior required a WD hitch. My Ford 6.4L max trailer towing was with such a hitch. My current GMC is not (2009). It is a slippery slope when dealing with bailout funds, automakers, etc. I realize this is a topic more hotly debated in heavier auto manufacturing states and as one who himself contributes what I consider to be an unfair amount to Obamanomics during quarterly tax season, I have not heartfelt sympathy for bailout recipients either. That said, my GMC remains the most capable, comfortable and knock wood, reliable pickup I have ever owned. I have put 44,000 miles on my GMC/Duramax in just over 14 months and it still runs and works great.

That said, I am anxious to try a 2011 model. I have heard they have about 100 lb. ft. more torque, which would be amazing given how spunky my current Dmax is, but I would like to look at a Denali GMC 2500 and have been unable to find one locally with a diesel. So far, most of the ones I have seen have had the gas engine. The ones I have seen with the Dmax have been Chevy's with LT level trim. Not being a truck snob, but with as much as I drive, going from an LTZ/SLT level of trim down a notch or two would not be something I would want to do. All the HD truck makers now are making good product, but I love the performance and no compromise ride of the GM 2500. It is true, though, none of them ride like a half ton.

John M

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax
Lt, did you look at any stats on the towing capacity? I understand that the 2011 GM's will be able to tow up to full rated capacity without any WD hitch necessary.

I took home a brochure on the 2011 HD Sierra's and the truck I looked at is rated to tow 13,000 pounds with a bumper hitch and 16,700 pounds with a fifth wheel or gooseneck style hitch. From my recollection of looking at the truck the hitch does not require the use of weight distribution to achieve the 13,000 pound towing capacity. This is something that I like as well as I really don't like messing around with WD setups.

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #17  
I took home a brochure on the 2011 HD Sierra's and the truck I looked at is rated to tow 13,000 pounds with a bumper hitch and 16,700 pounds with a fifth wheel or gooseneck style hitch. From my recollection of looking at the truck the hitch does not require the use of weight distribution to achieve the 13,000 pound towing capacity. This is something that I like as well as I really don't like messing around with WD setups.

my maximum tow load should be somewhere shy of 8000lb, and i have never had the scales put under me to see what i am at each wheel. i know my truck (2006 gm 2500 gas) has a rear axle rating of just over 6000lb and i'm fairly certain that i'm well within the limits. does anyone know where you are on your rear axle if you are at 13k without a weight distributing hitch?

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #18  
The GM trucks do not require a WD hitch to achieve their max hitch-based tow rating.

John M

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #19  
Based on my last experience with a Dodge, you could not pay me to have one. There is a reason Chrysler is in the tank and will stay there a long time.

I had some work done on my Duramax this week and had first opportunity to see that Buick Enclave. Thats a pretty sharp ride right there.

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #20  
I believe the sticker on this truck was about $52,500 or somewhere thereabouts. It is priced and equipped very similarly to the 2010 Dodge Ram that I test drove and 2010 Ford F350 that I test drove. They were all crew cab, 4x4's with whatever off road package that manufacturer offers equipped with a diesel and automatic. All the trucks had cloth interior, power windows, door locks, seat adjusters and mirrors. They all had CD players. They were what I would consider mid line to upper mid line trucks. I hate leather seats because I don't like having to condition them so I will NOT buy a truck equipped with leather if there is any chance that I can avoid it. This particular truck was a SLE trim level. I honestly don't know how the Dodge was so much less than the other trucks in that heavy duty pickup truck shootout because the one that I test drove didn't have leather seats or navigation or a lot of the other goodies that the test truck had and it was also priced right around $50,000 to $52,000.

As for the whole not wanting to buy GM vehicles argument I am very ambivalent about it. Ford was in just as bad of shape as GM and Chrysler were in 2008 and 2009, but they were in bad shape a few years earlier. I remember there was talk about Ford not surviving back when Lehman Brothers was still on top of the world. The only reason why Ford didn't take bailout money was because their worst times were just a little sooner than GM and Chrysler. Ford would have taken money the same as GM and Chrysler if their timing was the same. Ford will also be in just as bad of shape as GM and Chrysler have the potential of still being in a few years too unless they break apart the UAW or move the vast majority of their manufacturing overseas or to non union states. There was bad management at the top of every American car company and they certainly played a role in the problems but the UAW and their absurd contracts and unwillingness to give up many of their lavish benefits or do more work for the same money was even more to blame. I'm very unhappy that GM stock and bond holders took it in the shorts, as I believe that it should have been the UAW that took the hit instead or at least shared more of the pain. However, the pragmatist in me realizes that in this day and age with the government wanting more and more influence over our lives and at the same time more susceptible to outright bribery on the part of lobbyists than ever before that any of the American car companies could very well have ended up in the same shoes as GM. If the financial meltdown happened two years sooner Ford would have been the one largely owned by the government and GM would have been in a better position to weather the storm. The fact is that there was no way that the government was not going to do something to prop up the UAW when there were thousands of votes to buy regardless of what company happened to be in the worst shape at the time.
I can see this thread getting locked out real soon.I take offense to your UAW comments.I am a union member IBEW been a electric lineman 30 plus years.Unions are good and bad just like many CEO,s and upper managers running these corps. that suck every last dime into there fat pockets.It has been said the reason why the price of cars and trucks are so high is because of labor costs.H,mm,union labor prices and health care have come down but the price of cars and trucks seem to be rising.Gee wiz maybe CEO,s pay have been increasing,go figure.Maybe you will be happy when your next new truck is made in china.Maybe you can move there to have it serviced also.coobie

Last edited: