Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax
I can see this thread geting locked out real soon.I take offense to your UAW comments.I am a union member IBEW been a electric lineman 30 plus years.Unions are good and bad just like many CEO,s and upper managers running these corps. that suck every last dime into there fat pockets.It has been said the reason why the price of cars and trucks are so high is because of labor costs.H,mm,union labor prices and health care have come down but the price of cars and trucks seem to be rising.Gee wiz maybe CEO,s pay have been increasing,go figure.Maybe you will be happy when your next new truck is made in china.Maybe you can move there to have it serviced also.coobie

I'd like to prevent this thread from turning into a debate and getting locked also. I enjoy talking about the merits of all the new heavy duty pickups currently on the market and have been excited to share my experience in test driving these bad boys. I also don't think that I singled out any particular group when I specifically noted that horribly bad management on the part of the automakers was also to blame for their problems. What I was pointing out was that the entire American auto industry was to blame for the problems that they are having from the CEO's to the union workers, they are all to blame. I was also pointing out that in my opinion it's silly to single one company out when any one of the big 3 could have just as easily been in the exact same positions. So I'm sorry if you took offense, that's exactly what I was trying to prevent when I noted that everyone in the industry shared part of the blame. And as an aside I've been a member of two different unions in the past myself too.

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #22  
I'd like to prevent this thread from turning into a debate and getting locked also. I enjoy talking about the merits of all the new heavy duty pickups currently on the market and have been excited to share my experience in test driving these bad boys. I also don't think that I singled out any particular group when I specifically noted that horribly bad management on the part of the automakers was also to blame for their problems. What I was pointing out was that the entire American auto industry was to blame for the problems that they are having from the CEO's to the union workers, they are all to blame. I was also pointing out that in my opinion it's silly to single one company out when any one of the big 3 could have just as easily been in the exact same positions. So I'm sorry if you took offense, that's exactly what I was trying to prevent when I noted that everyone in the industry shared part of the blame. And as an aside I've been a member of two different unions in the past myself too.
Fair enough!I also looked at the new 2011 chevy/GMC trucks with the duramax,they are very nice trucks.My co-worker has a 2006 chevy 2500 with the duramax that has been flawless.I ended up ordering a 2011 Ford F-250 superduty crew cab (6.2 gas motor)that is supposed to arrive next week.Take care and good luck on your truck choice.coobie

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #23  
I was also pointing out that in my opinion it's silly to single one company out when any one of the big 3 could have just as easily been in the exact same positions.

There is a HUGE difference between "could have" and DID. The earth 'could have' stopped spinning today and the sun could have exploded. Neither happened. There are specific reasons why they didn't. The fact is that GM took millions of people for billions of dollars. FACT. The other auto manufacturers did not. FACT. I was one of the millions of people who got toasted by GM. Never in my life will support them again.

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The workmanship on that car is pathetic! GM should have gone under long before they did. I have actuarial data showing that GM cars and trucks have been more than twice as likely to have a breakdown as a Ford product. Fact. To cut corners, the door jams, under side of the hood and under side of the trunk on my Impala didn't get clear coated when the car was painted at the factory. How much did that save them? Maybe a couple of dollars? I could point out 20 or 30 other pathetic short cuts GM made on that car just because GM was being cheap and not concerned about quality.

When a company states that their entire future rides on being able to sell billions in stock and I've yet to speak to anyone willing to buy a share, I'm not very confident in the "General Motors" brand being here in another ten years. It's very likely it will be broken up and sold off in pieces in another floundering. It is a fact that China is looking at picking up the pieces for pennies on the dollar if/when that happens. This is the industry that most of my companies are in. I clearly have very little faith in the GM brand after attending many conferences and reading about what GM is doing each day in their corporate headquarters.

I hope they make it. I don't want more of my tax dollars wasted. I can't control that. What I can control is never buying another product from them nor ever considering buying a single share of their stock on a dare. If I were a UAW worker, I'd be very, very tempted to leave a piece off here, a part off there when building the vehicles for a company that stole my entire retirement.

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #24  
I have a 2003 D'Max with 143,000 miles and outside of a couple ejectors and rear axel leaks this truck has been rock solid and I would own nothing else.

I also would never buy this truck new again, buy a 1-2 year old truck.

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #25  
Relating to the towing abilities of the stock offerings of the Big Three heavy duty pickups, last October I was in the market to replace my 99.5 Ford F-250,7.3 diesel and 10 Y/O trailer. To tow my Kubota L-39, I had to go the weight distribution (WD) route with my 10000 GVW trailer, which left me right at capacity for my truck/trailer combo. I never have favored changing the load geometry to put more weight on the front axle.

After reading the specs, and test driving what was available on the dealer lots, I ended up buying another Ford. I ordered a F-350 4x4 Super Cab, with the 6.4 diesel. Not wanting to repeat the WD route, as I also ordered a Towmaster 14,000 GVW 18' trailer, I bought a Titan 18,000 GVW class 5, 2 1/2" receiver & hitch and now tow via pintle hitch. The new hitch gives me a sufficient overkill margin of error. The stock Ford 6000 bumper/12500 WD hitch does not compare to the Titan Class 5, and pulls great behind the new truck.

This planned option cost an additional $525.00 from eTrailer.com, but gives me much peace of mind when towing my $40,000 tractor. If something goes bad, it won't be because of the hitch. As many here pull big loads with their trucks, I am puzzled why the Mfg's do not offer HD hitches as options. But always consider that while the new trucks will pull an amazing heavy load, you still need the ability to stop them safely.

A comment on government influence on our lives, I myself wish they would stop helping me. A great example is the current diesel emissions regulations. My old 7.3 diesel delivered
17 mpg empty, 14 mpg towing. The new clean 6.4 diesel gets 13 mpg empty & 9-10 mpg towing. How does burning more fuel equate to less emissions?
I cannot shake the feeling that the current politicians, who appear to have never had the pleasure of doing an honest days work, are so much more intelligent than the rest of us, and need to protect us from ourselves.

WALT

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #26  
There is a HUGE difference between "could have" and DID. The earth 'could have' stopped spinning today and the sun could have exploded. Neither happened. There are specific reasons why they didn't. The fact is that GM took millions of people for billions of dollars. FACT. The other auto manufacturers did not. FACT. I was one of the millions of people who got toasted by GM. Never in my life will support them again.

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The workmanship on that car is pathetic! GM should have gone under long before they did. I have actuarial data showing that GM cars and trucks have been more than twice as likely to have a breakdown as a Ford product. Fact. To cut corners, the door jams, under side of the hood and under side of the trunk on my Impala didn't get clear coated when the car was painted at the factory. How much did that save them? Maybe a couple of dollars? I could point out 20 or 30 other pathetic short cuts GM made on that car just because GM was being cheap and not concerned about quality.

When a company states that their entire future rides on being able to sell billions in stock and I've yet to speak to anyone willing to buy a share, I'm not very confident in the "General Motors" brand being here in another ten years. It's very likely it will be broken up and sold off in pieces in another floundering. It is a fact that China is looking at picking up the pieces for pennies on the dollar if/when that happens. This is the industry that most of my companies are in. I clearly have very little faith in the GM brand after attending many conferences and reading about what GM is doing each day in their corporate headquarters.

I hope they make it. I don't want more of my tax dollars wasted. I can't control that. What I can control is never buying another product from them nor ever considering buying a single share of their stock on a dare. If I were a UAW worker, I'd be very, very tempted to leave a piece off here, a part off there when building the vehicles for a company that stole my entire retirement.

I have a 2004 Tahoe with 123K miles on it- it was well built and still drives the road well. I was never a fan of those Impalas though

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #27  
I have a 2004 Tahoe with 123K miles on it- it was well built and still drives the road well. I was never a fan of those Impalas though

OK since you started it :laughing: my 1995 Chev. 1500 just turned 200,000 and has never had anything other than routine maintainence done to it. Most expensive was athe AC compressor a few years back.

I've seriously been looking at Fords just because of the bailout issue. But I'm coming back around to considering GM again just because of the improvements in the 2011's.

Still undecided - at least as long as the '95 is running good. :D

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #28  
I am one who has had the chance to own and operate both a 2008 model 250 6.4L HD Ford and my current GMC. I have always been a Ford guy, and likely always will be in my heart. Truth be known, though, none of my Ford's could hold a candle to my current GMC. I was a bit apprehensive about going to GM for some of the reasons discussed as well as my concern about GM's spotty service record among some autos. One area, though, that the big three do a solid job is in truck manufacture. Having a true lemon in the HD truck market is the kiss of death (Ford still has not recovered from the 6.0L issue fully--in 6-7 years!!) So, I took a chance and am glad I did. It is pretty clear, no matter who is paying for them, that the GM truck engineers did a solid job on making a very capable and powerful truck that does not compromise drivability. My Ford had some heavier duty sheet metal in places than my current truck, but the guts of the GMC are really solid. I would buy another without much thought. They even have serviceable grease fittings!!

John M

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #29  
I am one who has had the chance to own and operate both a 2008 model 250 6.4L HD Ford and my current GMC. I have always been a Ford guy, and likely always will be in my heart. Truth be known, though, none of my Ford's could hold a candle to my current GMC. I was a bit apprehensive about going to GM for some of the reasons discussed as well as my concern about GM's spotty service record among some autos. One area, though, that the big three do a solid job is in truck manufacture. Having a true lemon in the HD truck market is the kiss of death (Ford still has not recovered from the 6.0L issue fully--in 6-7 years!!) So, I took a chance and am glad I did. It is pretty clear, no matter who is paying for them, that the GM truck engineers did a solid job on making a very capable and powerful truck that does not compromise drivability. My Ford had some heavier duty sheet metal in places than my current truck, but the guts of the GMC are really solid. I would buy another without much thought. They even have serviceable grease fittings!!

John M

I know you are happy with your current GM but if I remember right you had some fit and finish issues from day one with it? Seems like interior panels, ect. I also remember you saying the truck was 7/8 the sized of the competition which worked for your needs. They were mostly fixed by the dealer but I went though the same thing with my 05 Dmax. I never did get the passengers seat fixed right and the bed had to be repainted due to poor paint. So to say anything is the best for any of us or that nothing could hold a candle is all in the eyes of the guy writing the check, me included.

Again with the 6.0 thing. I have 2 that have never had a single issue and know of about 20 friends and customers with them. One had a tranny go out but the guy had 2 chips stacked and stacks though the bed so I am sure that helped it along. The only other one I know of that has been in the shop is a 2004 with 105,000 miles just this summer with a EGR valve issue. Lets face it, the 6.0 thing got blown way out of proportion. It helped GM sell many Dmax trucks but it if it were not for the talk of the 6.0 being such a lemon the Dmax would be another 6.5 GM diesel.

You also have to remember that Ford sells more diesel pickups each year than GM and Dodge combined. As a matter of fact in 2007 I have data that says over 80% of the F-250's and F-350's sold were diesel. They also held 51% of the total 3/4 and 1 ton market with GM having about 32% and Dodge having 17%. Of the GM sales 61% of the 2500's and 3500's were gas.

Chris

/ Test drove a 2011 Sierra Duramax #30  
I was also pointing out that in my opinion it's silly to single one company out when any one of the big 3 could have just as easily been in the exact same positions.

The anti-bailout crowd also trumpets Ford's recent successes as proof that the laissez-faire theory of tough love economics forces companies to adapt for the better. What that argument misses is that Ford faced insolvency much earlier than GM. In 2006, when Ford reached it lowest point, money was still being given away for free and the company mortgaged its future for a US$23-billion stay of execution. Indeed, had the company been healthier and not needed cash quite so quickly, it probably would have faced the same bankruptcy prospects as GM and Chrysler.