Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #241  
An article in the Denton Record-Chronicle this morning says the rain was great but expect drought conditions to continue. It said we're still about 10" behind for the year.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #242  
So far it's only 34* but we do have lite snow that is on the windshields but not freezing to it. Not sticking on the roads either. Got the wife off to work just wiping off the glass. No explanation for Texas weather.

Ya'll stay warm

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #243  
An article in the Denton Record-Chronicle this morning says the rain was great but expect drought conditions to continue. It said we're still about 10" behind for the year.

Hmm. . . I guess that would mean there's good news and bad news. The good news is that I won't have too much rain to finish my pond building. The bad news is that once they are built, they'll just be two big holes in the ground.:rolleyes: :laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #244  
its down right cold here this morning an no snow so far.they say we could be in a drought off an on for the next 8yrs if the weather pattern dont change.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Good to hear about the rain around SA, My BIL/SIL live outside of Fredricksburg and the say they are "bone dry"

Jim, at least you'll have to NICE big holes in your pasture.

8 years of this kind of drought? Texas wont look the same...The way they still waste water in the big "city", you'd think we have an overabundance of water. I was working at a Shopping mall Thanksgiving eve, the water came on and flooded the parking lot, an hour later, they came on again.
I see this all over Dallas, even in the winter. Total waste IMO

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #246  
There was and article in the Dallas Morning News a while back about the biggest water users. The really rich(Jerry Jones was one) with humango homes on acers of land with expensive landscaping were using up tens of thousands of dollars
a month.

We're a little sensitive out here in East Texas now that Dallas is starting to take water out of Lake Fork.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #247  
This morning was the first freeze of the fall at 28 degrees. I started the first fire of the year last night. The coals were still very hot when I woke up and I just added a few pieces of drought (Post Oak) wood to make a warm fire this morning. Ahhhh Life is good.

Attachments

• firstfire2011.jpg
    firstfire2011.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 280
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #248  
Don, it's 19 here this morning; kinda chilly.

Dennis and Charlie, I was just watching the TV news and they mentioned some accidents and some people reporting "black ice" on the streets that isn't really black ice; it's just the result of sprinklers left on last night, and we do have plenty of them that water the streets as well as the yards.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #249  
Don: That's a beauty!:thumbsup: I had hoped to have a wood burning stove installed this year, but I blew all my project money on a new bathroom. Next year maybe...

Bird: I just checked the NWS and saw that it was 19 in Denton. The NWS for Bowie says 21, but my thermometer says 16.2. I'd say that Winter has arrived.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #250  
Yeah, Jim, I think the NWS is probably right. My infrared thermometer shows table, grill, etc. on the patio to be 14 to 17 degrees but what I think is my most accurate thermometer shows air temperture out there to be 20.