Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #991  
So far this month I have got 3 and a quarter inches,, inch and half last week just before I went to vegas,, one and three quart inches last night,, plus it rained in Las Vegas while I was out there,, not much but a little standing water on the roads.. Feb and March I got no rain.. Lou

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #992  
MY TOMATOES SURVIVED!!!:cool2:

I went to the garden after getting a haircut and my truck inspected. When I removed all the pots over the plants, they all had happy faces to greet me. All my small seedlings just popping out of the ground looked fine. It's a miracle, I tell ya!:D

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #993  
MY TOMATOES SURVIVED!!!:cool2:

I went to the garden after getting a haircut and my truck inspected. When I removed all the pots over the plants, they all had happy faces to greet me. All my small seedlings just popping out of the ground looked fine. It's a miracle, I tell ya!:D
Jim,:)
Must be all that clean living after your Mom told you not to cross the street.:laughing:;):laughing:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #994  
Jim,:)
Must be all that clean living after your Mom told you not to cross the street.:laughing:;):laughing:
hugs, Brandi

:laughing:Couldn't be any thing else Brandi!!

We Went to 3 places in Decatur and almost all had frost damage (wilting), did manage a couple of Japaneses Maples and a Fig !YEAH!!. Ended up finding better seeds and some nice plants in Springtown at the small roadside vender:thumbsup: The 2 new peach trees still look great and the apples seemed to like the "cold snap"

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
I didn't see any frost, but the grass sure is growing fast right now, so I mowed, edged, and trimmed our yard and the one on the north side of us today.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #996  
What type grass do you have again Bird?? My St Augustine is really "on the move", but it never fully browned over the winter. The hybrid Bermuda I have is showing some life, but not really tuned on yet. Now the winter rye has exploded in the last 4-5 days after we got the 1+" rain, I hate it when it gets in the yard, it is green and spotty so looks bad, but not enough of it to fire up the mower. (Glad I dont have an HOA:laughing:)

Bought my corn seed yesterday, both Hybrid SE genes, so I can grow them together, Kandy corn and Peaches and Cream:corn::thumbsup: Going to fire up the tiller today!! Yeah

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
Dennis, I've got so many different kinds of grass in different parts of the yard that I don't even know what they are.:laughing: The largest open area that gets plenty of sun is St. Augustine in the back yard, and oddly enough, it's the slowest getting started this year. Most of the front is common Bermuda and it's doing very well and growing fast.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #998  
Like Dennis, I have yard blotching too. I can't blame all of mine on rye and fescue though. Quite a few blotches are weeds.:eek: Has anyone else noticed how the thistle is going gangbusters this year? Most of the green on my new pond dams is thistle. Oh well, if it stops erosion, it can't all be bad. I don't want to hit it with roundup quite yet. I'll try to get it before it blooms and goes to seed, but for now it is holding dirt in place. The grass seed I planted on my fill spot is going great. That spot is almost solid green with rye and fescue. I'm extremely pleased with my results. My bluebonnets are going to be a bit sparse. Some of the plants just could not take the drought. 2013 wont' be a banner bluebonnet year for me.:(

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #999  
I really noticed Bluebonnets yesterday for the 1st time. HWY 51 from Springtown to Decatur has a nice stand going, even Indian paintbrush starting to show. The second patch I tried to start using Jim's method of transplanting live plants, looks to have been another failure, but I can see that being my best alternative.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,000  
I've not been noticing quite as many blue bonnets this year yet, either. Everything seems to be a little later than usual.

There have been some nice patches on TX110 west of Tyler in the ditches - where they usually bloom every year, however.

Now, the Indian Paintbrushes... wowzers... they are really flourishing this spring out here in ETX!