Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #971  
Jim, thats the gamble with Texas weather:laughing: Done all you can do brother, so might as well sit back with a cold (hot) tea:D Not much you can do about hail, I have used old sheets of tin before and buckets, works if the wind cooperates.

I havent planted the peach trees in the ground yet, got 30 RR ties in Dallas for $5 each:thumbsup: so I have been building a small retaining wall. (That is some hard work) The ties aren't perfect, but for $5, they will do. I should be planting by this weekend:dance1:

BTW, stopped by the Walmart in Azle, their plants did get some heavy freeze damage.

My ace-in-the-hole plant place is White Cotton Nursery on Hwy 59 just about 2 miles east of Montague. They have the best prices and all their plants are in the greenhouses so they get no wind or freeze damage. For me, it makes no sense to go anywhere else.

We used large flowerpots, plastic and metal coffee cans, and hanging basket pots with the hangers removed. They are all upside down slightly in the dirt and have rocks on top holding them in place against the wind. I have my fingers crossed that unless hail is baseball sized, they will be protected.

Dennis, $5 ties is a super bargain even if they aren't in very good shape. I hope your orchard works out. I'm watching your progress very closely. I want fruit trees, berries, and grapes at some point.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #972  
I figure I should get 20 more years out of the ties, what the guy that sold them to me though too (he has done RR removal since 1965) My nieghbor had about 40gallons of used motor oil, so I used it to top the Ties, they look nice and black on top:thumbsup: I will try to get a photo, but it is in somewhat of "disarray":laughing: My soil PH averages 7.0 almost perfect for Fruit trees.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #973  
Well I got back from Vegas last night went out and checked my garden plants,, they all were doing great plus had grown over the last week.. got a little over an inch and half last week before I left.. sorry to those that didn't get any.. or the hail and bad weather.. I went over to the land about 6 miles away to check on the hay fields.. can't believe 6 miles can make a big differences... my hay fields good worst than my pasture grass.. Lou

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
Early gardens may have a problem again tonight. Officially, it got up to 78 yesterday, 42 now, and going for a low of 35 tonight. And so far only .11" of rain from the "storm" that was forecast.:laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #975  
We had 0.35" overnight with only tiny hail one time. The rain will continue this morning if I believe the radar. I hope to get at least an inch out of this.

I'm at 36 F here this morning. . . Oops! My thermometer just dropped to 35.8 F as I was typing.:rolleyes: I looked out at my garden and it looks like I'm growing buckets and flower pots.:D My tender plants are protected and I slept much better knowing I had nothing to worry about, even if I am sore from so much work. I also weeded the garden yesterday because I didn't want the weeds to get ahead of me while it was too muddy to get into the garden. Don't feel sorry for me though, I worked hard and loved every second of it just because the garden is doing so well and I can be secure that it is well protected from wind, hail, and cold. I'm hoping my beans and peas aren't hurt by a light freeze tonight. The ground is still warm and they are down in a furrow for some protection.

The rain has picked up while I'm posting, so I'm sittin' here with a smile on my face.:)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #976  
Yeah, that radar looks like it COULD drop a nice amount of rain, jinman. I hope so!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #977  
Thunder woke me up:mad: Was supposed to "try" and work tonight in Carrollton, doubt that will happen.

Have about .20 in the gauge and it just started to rain, so that will go up I'm sure. Opened the door and its COOL out! with a brisk N wind. 37.8 right now, pretty sure the freeze record is April 13th or 16th?? We will be "close" tonight!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #978  
RAIN! R-A-I-N!!!
funny-dance.gif

Attachments

• funny-dance.gif
    funny-dance.gif
    55.7 KB · Views: 137
   / Texas Spring/Summer Thread #979  
Dam Jimbo!! that diet is working:thumbsup::D

So far it has been the "perfect" kind too. Light to medium and so far no type of flooding (here)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #980  
Looks like this "storm" event has moved on? I received .27" of rain:confused3: All the whooping and hollerin the weathermen did and that's IT!! They even got the temps wrong I bet, I'm think'n frost in the a.m.