Thanks that the snake was in green green grass

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #21  
cityfarma said:
Firstly, my apologies for partially hijacking this thread. This is my last comment on the subject as a response to LMTC.

Australia has far fewer firearm deaths proportional to population. I have no problems with people who have a need to use a firearm, eg, farmers. I do not distrust my daughter (or other legal owners). I would loose my license if something goes wrong, ie, very (over?) cautious.

I could also comment on your first point re how long it took to join the rest of the world but won't as it further hijack the thread.

Now back to snakes....

City farmer
Right. So you get to hijack, then comment on the response to your hijack, and it's supposed to end there then? Ok.

"I could also comment......but won't". You just did.

We'll see if this was really your last comment.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #22  
cityfarma said:
I find it very scary that your country lets just about anyone have a firearm and even I read require it in some cases.

Cityfarma

I find it scary yours does not!! Being that outback and all. Not everyone can wrestle an aligator bare handed.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #23  
I went hunting Kangaroos in Australia once while my ship was in port. What fun that was! The large ranch where we went considered them the same as rats or coyotes here. Too bad that man probably can't legally keep a gun anymore.

I work on military weapons here for a living and farm my little place too. I carry a gun all day every day. I have several reasons.

Some freshly paroled criminal tried to kill my neighbor with a knife a few weeks ago. She had a colt 38 detective special in her pocket when he confronted her in her garage in broad daylight. Can any of you figure how this turned out?

Another elderly neighbor was robbed at gunpoint while he was fast asleep in his house at night. They didn't believe in guns and didn't own any. Of course they were cleaned out and couldn't do a thing about it.

Yet another neighbor, like a 2 mile away neighbor, got parolled after doing some time for drug charges and got a wild hair up his tail to rob me. Guess how that turned out.

We're living in a world where even your neighbor can be a criminal and you can have someone try to kill you in your own garage out in the country.
We all should be packing!

Imagine what would happen if the weapons I work on here were to be stolen and found their way into criminal hands. You bet your life I will defend them. Better me do it now than let the cops deal with it after they are stolen. Trust me they would be severely outgunned in that case. It would be like doc holiday going to the OK corral with a rubber band gun against a bunch of gatling guns.

I'm not being political, just realistic.

Everyone in my house knows how to use a gun very well. They are all over the place and not locked up unless we are expecting company with ignorant kids. That rarely happens. When my son was in Diapers I was a small arms marksmanship instructor in the service and he got trained too. He's a better shot than me now. He's been competing since he was 7. I love it when people freak out at all the guns I have in the house while we have a kid too.

I've been to Sydney, Perth and Melbourne several times each. I really loved that country at one time. I even had plans of possibly moving to Sydney when I retired from the service and buying a big ranch to settle down on. That was before the big gun ban. I don't feel safe enough now. I'd still like to visit again sometime with my wife and look up some old friends but they won't let me bring my pistol on the plane now for some reason. I think if all of us were armed on a plane, or at very least, retired cops and military members and people with a carry permit that they could use the flying the friendly skies saying again. As it is I'm scared to death of even going in an airport.

Just FYI, not everyone is allowed to own a firearm here. I have to have my civi customers fill out a 4473 form for each purchase. Quite a few have been turned down.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #24  
Where's thingie when you need him?

Chuck

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #25  
After all the guns were rounded up in Australia, armed robbery went thru the roof cause only the bg's had guns.

I have always wanted to visit there, but we changed our plans a few years ago.

I vote with my wallet:cool:

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #26  
   / Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #27  
I know nothing about guns, and I doubt I will ever own one. My uphill neighbor says he never saw a snake in 25 years however our cat caught a baby snake so it had to ahve parents and my hsuband say he say a huge snake while i was back in the states. What I do to protect myself is walk very heavy and I make a lot of noise will talk or sing a bit if off working by myelf.
Am I remembering this right? I thought in some cities off duty policmen/women are required to carry thier gun. I thought it was in Chicago. Guns scare me so it is a good thing we don't have any. One more point whihc also I may be incorect about but I seem to recal my mother saying why Japan never planned a land invasion of the US was because they knew a good portion the citizens were armed.