Thanks to the Yanmar Forum

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #1  

woolyAcres

Platinum Member
Tractor
Antonio Carraro TTR 4400
I wanted to say thanks to all the members here who've helped me with my YM240D. It's a sad day but I'm moving on from my trusty YM240D. I want to especially thank California, clemsonfor, winston1, careyo63, normde2001, rScotty, scottyDive and the many others that have helped me on my way.

Between this old tractor, the great folks in this forum, and Hoye tractor (for parts), I've done more with this machine than I ever expected. I'm not sure which I'll miss more, this tractor or this forum. At least I can visit the forum anytime I want to. :licking:

Thank for all the support.

May your Yanmars run strong and long.

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #2  
Thank you, hate to see one of us leave! But hey you can still check in. Winston doesn't have his yanmar anymore either, he still checks in and helps us out!!!:D Thanks Winston!

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #3  
And thank you for sharing a bit of your life with us.

This is a community of people who share an appreciation for Yanmars. No need to own one to continue participating.

We would like to hear what you are doing next. Stop by any time! :proposetoast:

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum
I've put my YM240 up for sale so that I can replace it with something a bit larger and with power steering. I don't have room to store 2 machines under cover (though sitting out would hardly make my current machine less pretty) and I really can't justify keeping the Yanmar along with a second machine. This has been a good interem machine and has taught me a great deal about tractors in general and hydraulics in particular. Just this past weekend I tore down the rear hydraulic system and replaced all the o-rings I could find. That really helped the 3PT issues I was having (dropping when not powered, lack of lift power, and working to keep something lifted) and only cost a few dollars. I wanted to get that fixed before trying to sell her.

I suppose there's a chance I end up with a new(er) Yanmar but I'm currently looking for a used one of these:
TTR 44 HST II - YouTube

I've got some steep sections on my property where the stability would be greatly appreciated. I've also got areas that need to be cleaned up where having a front mount implement would make life so much easier, like under and around all the trees I've got in one of my pastures. I'll certainly miss the loader, but thankfully I've got access to one (New Holland TC45D).

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #5  
heck, Just keep the old yanmar. I bought a bota 51 hp a few months ago. I couldn't sell the yanmar 3110D for close to what I have in it, so I'll just keep it.
What ever ya do, good luck to ya !

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #6  
heck, Just keep the old yanmar. I bought a bota 51 hp a few months ago. I couldn't sell the yanmar 3110D for close to what I have in it, so I'll just keep it.
What ever ya do, good luck to ya !

Add on shelter, thats what I did !

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #8  
he may also need that several thousand dollars to offset the cost of the next tractor regardless of how much he wants to keep it.

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum
@morris lipham, @clemsonfor - it's a bit of both. My objectsions to keeping it are

1. space - I don't have covered space for it. I have one of those tarp sheds and it's nearly in tatters- need to put a new exterior on it this spring to house the new tractor. The overall 'goal' here, as my wife puts it, is to clean up and slim down. I think I'll have to move my pillow out to the tarp shed if I try to keep it and get tractor!

2. money - the tractor isn't worth a ton but I'm hoping to get back what I paid for it and what I've put into it. I've had some nibbles at $4500 but I suspect I'll need to come down - which is fine. Problem for me is, it doesn't look pretty, but man is it a hard worker and reliable so it's more valuable to me than someone looking at a cosmetically rough machine. I've redone nearly all the hydraulics including a new joystick with float and regen, put a new battery, and alternator, plus recent fluid and filter change, and I'm including some spare parts (filters) that I bought in packs of 3 from Hoye which I haven't used yet.

3. usefulness - it's a great machine and if I keep it, it will probably just sit. Because it lacks power steering, has no roll-bar, or seat belt, it's not something my kids are allowed to operate, but they are getting to an age where they can/would like to help. If I keep it, it just won't get used. I'd really rather see it go to someone who will use it and appreciate it. It'd make a great tractor for someone's camp or for food plots, etc. Or for someone in the situation I was 3 years ago when I bought it- not a lot of cash available for a tractor but needing something strong and dependable, but not necessarily pretty. It's super handy and it'd be a waste to just throw a tarp over it.

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #10  
I've put my YM240 up for sale so that I can replace it with something a bit larger and with power steering. ...

I suppose there's a chance I end up with a new(er) Yanmar but I'm currently looking for a used one of these:
TTR 44 HST II - YouTube

I've got some steep sections on my property where the stability would be greatly appreciated.
Something low and heavy like that Antonio Carraro is ideal for those steep farms where Italy runs up into the Alps. Some models have a ground-speed option on the PTO for a driveshaft back to a trailer that has its own differential and drive axle. Ideal for the forestry work in that video.

A while back I found an A.C., a Ferrari (?), and some other similar brand on Craigslist so I did a little research. The local ones were articulated, hinged in the middle. Great for loader work in tight space. Apparently that's a weak point and several posts I found on various boards were complaining about expensive steering repairs and few US parts dealers, so the tractors were down for months if something broke.

I got the impression the ones I found on local CL had been bought partly to be real impressive on the millionaires hobby vineyards here and in Napa county, and now were being sold after completing the first expensive repair - before something else broke. I suspect the family farms in Italy are more careful of their equipment than what hired laborers had done to these show pieces.

I agree that a ROPS-less YM240D isn't a good match for steep ground. If I could manage it, I would keep the Yanmar for its loader and simplicity/reliability then buy an A.C. or similar for its convenient operation. Beware the cost of A.C. implements. It's a premium brand where everything is expensive.