Thanks to the Yanmar Forum

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum
I've been researching these over the last couple months. There's at least one horror story here on TBN of a poor fellow that just about broke his machine in half with a very costly repair. I'm really not sure who was at fault there but there are lots of these machines out there (not many in the US but lots elsewhere), . I'm not sure a loader is the best idea on these. A fork lift perhaps, but full-fledged loader just doesn't seem like a good idea, especially if it's the articulating kind.

I've found a used one I'm trying to buy. I'm hoping the seller will include the 5' flail mower he has. The tractor is reversible which, along with the HST, would make mowing around all the trees I have in the pasture, so much easier. I don't anticipate any AC-specific attachments, or even any new attachments. I've got a bale spear, wood chipper, rotary mower, dump trailer, box blade, and york rake all ready for Cat 1 3PT. One of the best parts about this arrangement is that I could connect my wood chipper to the 3PT and my dump trailer to the "front" but reverse the operators station and drive into the woods with the chipper on the front, pulling the trailer. I just need to figure out how to blow the chips over the tractor and into the trailer ;)

But giving up the loader does have me concerned. I don't often have to make tall piles of stuff so I'm thinking perhaps a slip-scoop, or even a 3PT-SSQA bracket could be used on the back with a 5' bucket and a hydraulic top link to do small scale digging and moving of material (like wood chips, or firewood). We'll see. Step one is parting ways with Yannie (what my kids nicknamed the YM240) to make room and help cover cost of newer machine.

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #12  
2. money - the tractor isn't worth a ton but I'm hoping to get back what I paid for it and what I've put into it.

Now if I could get that. I would sell mine too. But I have 7500 in the tractor, 3500 in the loader, about 1000 in the grapple, hoses, valve, 1000 for new tires that still look new.. So I have 13K in mine.

I would throw in the tires and the grapple cost and take 11K for mine. But I know that would never happen.
You can buy a new one from fredricks for about 12K. So see, It's worth more to me than giving it away.

I had some trees cut last week. My son ran the Bota and I ran the yanmar. We got the mess cleaned up pretty quickly

@kenmac I agree with you about the value of your machine and also that it will be difficult to get all that back and therefore it's more useful to keep it. And there's no doubt that 2 tractors can be more than 2x as efficient as 1. I think this machine is low enough on the totem ($) pole to still get most if not all my money back but also be a tractor someone would buy.

But I'm curious what you guys think. I know market is fairly local. What do you think a reasonable asking price is this machine:
You guys know the good points of these machines so I'll only list out this particular machines shortfalls:
dented sheet metal and some surface rust
although hydraulics we redone last year (all new hoses, fittings, and loader valve) one cylinder has started leaking a bit. The rod needs to be re-chromed or replaced
bucket is oversized (both good and bad) but is rough and worn though in 2 spots (bad)

has new battery (last year), block heater, new alternator (Datsun, thanks to California), new 3PT lift arms and stabilizers, added oil pressure gauge, fixed the 2-speed pto, goes in and out of 4WD and hi-low very easily, 3PT is now strong and stable

I think I've priced it a bit high, but I'm curious what you guys think.

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #14  
I think its worth somewhere north of $4k but it may take a while for the buyer who recognizes its value to find you.

And much above that, there are other more modern used tractors with better appearance competing for that buyer's attention.

I learned selling my first YM186D, when I replaced it with its twin that had a loader and power steering, - eye appeal counts for more than I had realized.

Be patient, somebody out there needs it.

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #15  
In the Northeast Texas area there is nothing with a loader that sells below 5k. Most 4 wheel drive your size with loader would be on Craigs list 6k and higher.

Well it turns out the value is $4000. Sold it this morning. Fellow came by at 9am was back around 11 with cash and a trailer. I had several other calls today so maybe I could have stuck to my list price but cash and trailer spoke to me. I hope he's pleased with the deal. I'm satisfied. It covers my purchase cost and anything I put into it with perhaps a bit to spare. I hope he's as happy with it as I was. Guess I need to change my avatar....

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #17  
Glad it worked out for you. Keep in touch with us. :thumbsup:

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #18  
I dont post to much anymore but stop in from time to time, For what its worth, I sold my Yanmar and luckily bought it back as I regretted it, its getting harder and harder to find them around here, not like it use to be. I have the ym226d and do not think I will ever let it go again. But I understand your reasons, good luck.

/ Thanks to the Yanmar Forum #19  
I think those that have them are keeping them around. It's not like folks are buying them all the time, and deciding they don't like it and selling them again on CL or Facebook or whatever like when they were all over for sale at used car dealers farm and garden stores and small dealers that popped up