Thanks

/ Thanks #1  

catskinner

Silver Member
Tractor
AC 170
Well I thought I knew what type of trailer I wanted then I started reading the old posts on trailers. So now it's back to the drawing board, more research, spec checking, powder coat vs paint, goose vs bumper, deckover vs between axles, rail vs tie down loop. The list goes on and on. New to hauling a bigger tractor, the chain binders, chain type, never crossed my mind. So thanks for the valuable info for me to get it right the first time!

/ Thanks #2  
Well I thought I knew what type of trailer I wanted then I started reading the old posts on trailers. So now it's back to the drawing board, more research, spec checking, powder coat vs paint, goose vs bumper, deckover vs between axles, rail vs tie down loop. The list goes on and on. New to hauling a bigger tractor, the chain binders, chain type, never crossed my mind. So thanks for the valuable info for me to get it right the first time!

Remember, shopping is half the fun!!

/ Thanks #3  
Do your research and shop around. Buy what your needs are plus some as long as your truck can handle it.

Chris

/ Thanks #4  
Catskinner. i just went thru this a couple of months ago with a hauling truck and trailer. Got tons of good info from the peopl e here, especially Diamondpilot.

If I may.. haveing pulled a bumper pull for years, that also had stake pockets, and was a betweent he fenders trailer.
My new gooseneck pulls great.. backs up easier IMHO, is a deckover.. so you can run right up to yuor deck spacing if needed.. and I got a rub rail that runs outside of the stake pockets.. thus I can use tiedowns over the entire side instead of just at the stke pockets.

I had considered a between the fenders with my goose purchase.. but am quite pleased with the deckover. sure.. it's a lil higher.. but just tie your load down good . it's easier to ballance a load on a gooseneck.. especially if you get a lil longer than you might need.

I have no preference on PC vs paint. I can re-paint if needed.. havn't got the equipmetn for PC.. etc.

good luck.

soundguy

Last edited:
   / Thanks
How much hay can a 25' deckover goose haul, The one I'm looking at I think is a 4-5'dovetail. The side rail issue seems to be the ticket for me. Getting a winch now is big plus.

/ Thanks #6  
I would think 10 4x5 rounds in a single stack on a 8x25' trailer plus another 5 on the top stack if you have the capability to load it that high.

soundguy

/ Thanks #7  
I had a 25' GN. It was heavy with tandem duals and was rated at 25,000# I pulled it with my F-350 but never hauled hay. I would say I could have easily gotten 2 rows of 6 on the bottom and another 4-5 on top. Thats 17 bales at about 1,000# a piece plus the 5,800# empty weight of the trailer I had. That would be plenty.

Chris

/ Thanks #8  
I have a 25+5 tandem GN also rated at 25K. I've pulled a payload of close to 20K for 400+ miles with no problem, behind a F350 dually. I have to say, I was a bit concerned with this load, but the trailer brakes are incredible, and would stop that load like NOW. (LoadMax trailer, dexter axles)

One thing to consider, I optioned the triple rear ramps, which effectively gives you the entire trailer length as a flat usable platform. Obviously if you are driving equipment on, you have to use "another" set of ramps, but for hay and the like you can load it up. I run a strap across the top of the ramps to keep em down when going over bumps....can get aggravating on a long trip.

Good luck hunting!

/ Thanks #9  
I agree.. a good set of brakes makes a huge difference. I recently ran from south ga back to mid fl during the night with an extended e350 conversion van on my GN and was amazed at how good and positive the trailer brakes felt.

soundguy

/ Thanks #10  
Hey catshinner, i just picked up my new trailer yesterday, Havent posted any pics yet due to all the rain we got, guys so give me a few days and i will post soom pics. If your concern about the hieght of the trailer go with the pierced framing, it drops the deck 4 1/2" , and i went with the pop-up on the rear to give you full use of the lenght of the trailer, or go with a third ramp. And if your like me go though alot of fields, I had 6" added to the neck, which is a big plus for 4x4 trucks.
I started looking for trailers about 4 months ago, and just got mind, the internet is the best tool for looking for what you want, and look at the differnt options they all have. Good Luck.