The best Radiator Cooling system flush??

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #11  
i'd use brass plugs. stainless galls baddly.

ps.. a b likely hasno water pump.. mine doesn't. :)

makes them harder to flush.. you just have to fill then let set then backflush with a hose...

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #12  
i'd use brass plugs. stainless galls baddly.

ps.. a b likely hasno water pump.. mine doesn't. :)

makes them harder to flush.. you just have to fill then let set then backflush with a hose...

Good idea--I'll find the right size brass plug.
Water pump: my B has a thermosyphon cooling system.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #13  
yep.. thermo = no pump...

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush??
The vinegar flush worked great for me. That along with cleaning my plugged thermostat. And taking care of intake issues fixed my overheating problem.

Thanks Soundguy and everyone for your suggestions.

John

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #15  
I have used Muriatic Acid to give a good flush. I removed the radiator completely. Put the cap back on it. Closed drain cock. Made a mixture of 2/3 gallon water to 1/3 gallon of Muriatic Acid. Take duct tape and seal upper hose inlet. Pore in mixture and tape up lower end. Slosh the gallon of mixture back and forth for about five minutes and pore out into plastic bucket. Flush radiator good with water. Neutralize acid with baking soda and dispose. I've cleaned out some really cruddy radiators this way. Wear gloves and eye protection please.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #16  
hard on anything other than iron though..

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #17  
hard on anything other than iron though..
Maybe I failed to mention doing it for only five minutes. Maybe I failed to mention the word "diluted". Don't the radiator shops use acid to "boil" them out? The diluted MA is used to disolve hard water deposits inside. Someone mentioned vinegar. Vinegar is a mild acid is it not. Maybe using LimeAway for those that are afraid of MA. MA may be hard on many things, but I was just cleaning the radiator with diluted mixture. It was five minutes and got excellent results. Your milage may vary.

EDIT: If you have an aluminum radiator, I suggest not using diluted MA.

Last edited:
   / The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #18  
I will definitely try the vinegar and then the prestone. I plan on pulling the radiator but right now I need to get some work done before we have much snow on the ground up here in the North.
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

John

do i drain the old antifreeze and just run vinegar by its self or drain it and add 2 gallons of vinegar then fill rest with water?
ive never had my allis chalmers over heat just doing work around the house with bucket on front, but i just baught a 5 foot rear mower for it and it takes alittle bit for it to start over heating, i was told to run mower at 3/4 engine speed and grass wasnt long, i find it hard to believe my tractor cant handle the mower. any ideas? thank you

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #19  
do i drain the old antifreeze and just run vinegar by its self or drain it and add 2 gallons of vinegar then fill rest with water?
ive never had my allis chalmers over heat just doing work around the house with bucket on front, but i just baught a 5 foot rear mower for it and it takes alittle bit for it to start over heating, i was told to run mower at 3/4 engine speed and grass wasnt long, i find it hard to believe my tractor cant handle the mower. any ideas? thank you

Welcome aboard
This was a 6 year old thread, you might not get many responses. I suggest you start a new one.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #20