The damsel went shopping over the weekend!

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #21  
Hey guys lets try for another 100 posts here.

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #22  
790la.jpg

<font color=blue>…I really just need to mow and brush hog...and that's about it…</font color=blue>

Have you considered the JD790 (the TC30 came out against), for about $11,500 for a MFWD tractor, add a $500. regular duty 5’ rotary cutter that will serve a dual purpose, cut brush and cut grass (maybe not your front lawn… leave that for the Craftsman…), hold off on the finish mower for the time being… until you get your brush under control, see how well the rotary cutter does on field grass…(I think you’ll be very surprised…/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)… If you still need a finish mower, then pick up a 3-point hitch unit for under $1000….

So basically, for under $12K brand new, you’ve got yourself a MFWD tractor and cutter, you slap it into gear and go your constant mowing speed that you don’t really need HST for (no loader work, no constant back & forth movement…) /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #23  
My thoughts exactly... heck, considering a 6k$ price difference, quote on a tc35 as well. I'm betting that the NH will still be less expensive.

As far as pto HP.. once she hits about 28 hp, she is pulling the biggest rotarty cutter the machine will pull.... the only other pto intense gadgets she might use are a tiller... then skies the limit, or hay stuff.. and how many of us actively hay?

Either way she is a winner... blue or green ( blue! blue! ) are both good tractors.... I would really look at those 6k$ dollar bills.... that's lotsa implimints and a front end loader, etc...

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"By the way, you aren't really comparing apples to apples. The TC30 is supposed to be an economy tractor. The TC33D would be a direct comparison to the JD 4310. Have your New Holland dealer quote a TC33D & you'll have a better picture of the premium you are paying for the deere"

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #24  
Ask the JD salesman to quote a 790 with the same equipment. If he gives you any more of that crazy static, tell him you're not into being financially raped and fire him.

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #25  
Bunny,

Here is some additional info that may help you negotiate a price on a NH tractor.

If you use the Minnesota site info, you can get the dealer cost from the Factory Code number. Here is an example:

TC45D4
310 (Supersteer, loader ready)
Suggested List Price (Less Tires): $23,522.00
Factory Code: 01811M200
Dealer cost is: $18112.00

Just to throw in my .02 on your quest. I purchased a NH TC35, not the 'D' model so it does not have the HST. But it does have a shuttle shift manual transmission that makes it much easier to shift from forward to reverse by moving a lever back and forth that is located near the steering wheel. In my opinion this is the best compromise between a standard shift and the HST. Since you will be doing a lot of mowing the shuttle shift is good because it does not drag the PTO horepower down like an HST does. You would have to get the a TC35, 40 or 45 to get the shuttle shift. But you get more usable hp at a lower cost than the 'D' model. Also if you do get a FEL later, the TC35 will have much greater capacity than the others. With the extra hp you could go up to a 6' finish mower, also. Remember that the less time it takes to do your mowing the fewer hours put on the tractor. This is why the 'bigger is better' arguement won me over. I considered the TC30 but went with the TC35 because of the design and more capability it had.

Also, I currently have a 7' Bush hog cutter (SQ84T) that I think is great, it has two blades instead of one large one, a la the 6'. Since it has two blades it is shorter than the 6', making it more manuverable, and is offset about a foot to the right which makes it nice for getting close to trees and such.

Hope some of that helps!

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #26  
Sam,

What do you run your 7' hog with?

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #27  
I run it with my TC35. The SQ84T is rated for between 25 to 50 hp. It works great, kind of gives a cut that is somewhere between a finish mower and a rotary. It is considered light duty, but is great for cutting mainly grass and small trees (1" dia.) There is a thread from last year sometime in the 'Attachments' category that shows a pic and specs. I think if you do a search on SQ84T you should be able to find it.

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #28  
Sam,

I also have the same model except it is straight behind the tractor. I was using an IH 574 but I have to sell since I bought an L2500. I needed an FEL and a smaller tractor to get into some tight places and would fit on my trailer. I am going to miss the IH and 7' cutter. I know how long it took before to mow with my 8N and 5' cutter.

Is your land pretty flat then? I have hills here and for as big as the IH is you still know you have the cutter behind you when you make turns on a hill.

Your tempting me to try it on the L2500. But I think it will be too heavy and throw the tractor too much.

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #29  
CJ7,

I don't imagine it would hurt to hook it up and give it a try. Although the L2500 is probably running at the edge of having too little hp according to the BH specs. My land is mostly flat with very gently rolling slopes, terraces to be exact. My TC35 pulls and runs it with no problems. I'm very pleased with the mower, esp. since I picked it up used for $500.

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #30  
How old was it when you bought it? Sounds like a good price. I had to buy mine new.