The endless battle...

/ The endless battle... #1  

CompactTractorFan

Tractor
Kubota BX25
Is there any way to get rid of well-established out of control bamboo?

/ The endless battle... #2  
I think you mean the Japanese knotweed....it looks like bamboo but very week.
I had a lot of it....took 3 years to remove
first year after they flower(the bees are all over them dont want to spray them) hit them with round up, dont worry about the seeds they do not grow from seeds.
the second year at spring and at fall i hit them again with roundup.
third year should just be the stragglers.
The reason for this is one your zapping their winter reserves, then the spring and then the fall again. Its very aggressive and spreads weaking the soil and actually causing erosion.
good luck,
your county ag extension will also have info on it.

/ The endless battle... #4  
You just need to go into the business of selling fishing poles.:D

/ The endless battle... #5  
The bamboo we have doesn't flower. This is what it looks like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/BambooKyoto.jpg

Think of the tables and other things you could make out of that bamboo...Wow ! but to answer your question..Try putting an ad in Craig's List for free bamboo and let folks come and cut it..You would be surprised at the folks will come if you put the picture in your ad and then keep spraying the new shoots that come up with a stronger weed killer than roundup...The big box stores all sell a total kill product and if you spray that on the new shoots it will kill them but it may take multiple applications..Bamboo is tough.

/ The endless battle... #6  
Spray undiluted glyphosate (the stuff you get in 2.5 gallon bottles from ag supply stores) on the freshly cut stumps. Saturate the stumps. That's how I kill privet, sweet gum, and other trees that spring from stumps.

/ The endless battle...
UPDATE: Now that we got the tractor, I've been cutting it by hand a little at a time and hauling it off with the tractor. It will get done slowly but surely...

/ The endless battle... #8  
What kind of bamboo is that? I have been wanting to try planting it here (~6500'). Since PA has winter, it ought to be able to take it here too. We are just a LOT dryer.

/ The endless battle...
What kind of bamboo is that? I have been wanting to try planting it here (~6500'). Since PA has winter, it ought to be able to take it here too. We are just a LOT dryer.

That picture above is not actually our bamboo but a picture off the internet of some that looks like ours. I'll try to get a picture. But, I can only warn you: DO NOT PLANT IT. We "inherited" ours and it has been nothing but a problem. It has rhizomes that spread all over. It is impossible to remove. It has even spread to our lawn and grown through our deck. (I've even heard stories of it growing through people's foundations :confused2:) Although I must say, it winters very well. ;) It also grew the plastic liner of our pond.

/ The endless battle... #10  
lots of cutting and re cutting...