The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies

/ The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies #21  
I'm here to tell you (and I've posted this before) in the big JD row crop tractors and combines (over 200 horsepower), the oil and hydraulic filters have built in sensors and so does the air filter and when those sensors detect a pressure drop, the electronically tell the 'Green Star' GPS system to notify the dealer and the dealer comes out and services the equipment. You don't. Same applies to the gearbox oil and engine oil. Dealer does the service, you don't and you cannot use aftermarket filters or oil either. The filters don't have built in sensors for one and if JD catches you using aftermarket oils and there is a warranty issue, they deny it.

I know, the seed farm down the road has a late model JD equipment and I joke with the owner abut he don't really own the equipment, he leases it from JD..... :rolleyes:

I understand the right to repair thing but be sure, JD will never allow that to happen.

None of that applies to the smaller stuff, just the big ultra dollar stuff.

He just had to replace a 'one box' unit on one of them and it was over 15 grand.

/ The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies #22  
Kubota is the same way with their new round balers. I cannot access the parameters myself, have to have a regional rep come out with a password to get into the computers. It's a good bailer but I find that BS. Had an issue with the net tail not being long enough and my local dealer could not do anything with it. He had to have the regional rep come out and set it. Like 5 different settings but the owner cannot access any of them and that is BS.
What good is that on a Friday afternoon with 2-3 good days of baling ahead of you and you CANNOT make the bale you need to make over a weekend, or however long it may take you to get that rep to your place?

/ The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies #23  
A MEMORANDUM of understanding means basically NOTHING.

Yep,
A MEMORANDUM of understanding is right up there with the average

"Forward Looking Statement"

Last edited:
   / The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies #24  
This idea applies to other things, when I worked for a civil engineering firm, the copy machine, our big print machine, our CAD software. The CAD software is especially bad, you just sort of rent it, they call it a subscription.

/ The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies
I didn't know your copy machine company was blaming the EPA for you (what?) not being able to buy your own toner ink?

JD was trying to make it look like they were just helpless under the boot heel of the government, as to why they couldn't make the tools and software available. No one was buying it, but they played that tired song for as long as they could.

I mean they could have at least manned up, thumbed their noses and said, "Tough stuff, whaddya' gonna' do about it."

But pretending they were really the innocent victims to the evil EPA? Pathetic.

/ The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies #27  
Don’t get me wrong, companies that do this aren’t doing a good thing. The copy machine was an example I needed to give a little more info on. It’s another thing you can’t work on yourself. If you buy the machine they send a guy out that charges $150 per hour to fix it, not a made up number, that’s what they charge. Your alternative is to lease it.

Some of what you are complaining about is the same thing, are most people going to buy the expensive equipment to fix it themselves?

Slowpoke Jim, do you own a JD? If not why are you complaining? It appears you don’t like JD for what they tried to do, I get it, but there are lots of choices other than JD so people can chose what they want.

/ The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies #29  
Look at the OP's video and who is in it. Louis Rossmann. He is well known on the computer hacker sites and Deere isn't the only ones that he wants their computer code. There is a big difference between farmers that repair their equipment and people that want to hack the systems NOT to "repair" them.

/ The EPA Just Delivered a Solid Kick to John Deere... Right in their Jimmies #30  
I tend to be brand loyal, but if said brand is trying to make love to my posterior, you bet I’m gonna let out a howl and try to stop them!