The future of tractor design

/ The future of tractor design #1  

beemerphile

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040
I am a retired engineer and have spent many years around hydraulic production machinery - particularly plastic injection molding machinery. Towards the end of my career most of the machine companies were tending towards fully electric machines rather than hydraulic. The advantages were numerous. Electric presses can now provide hundreds of tons of pressure. The machines are fast as a cobra and almost totally silent. A conventional molding machine sounds like a hydrostatic tractor. I got to thinking about whether an analogous trend was possible with tractors. Servos replace cylinders. Stepping motor drives replace hydrostatic drives. Transmissions become unnecessary (which was the main objective of the diesel-electric locomotive many years ago). The tractor's motor, rather than turning a large hydraulic pump would be direct-connected to a large electric generator. Individual electric wheel motors would allow computerized differential speed at each wheel during a turn to minimize wheel spinning or turf damage. Four wheel steer, crab-steer, or anywhere from one to four wheel drive are easily implemented. Self-leveling a loader would be done by programmed control. An implement could be programmed to lift or stop during a turn or reverse maneuver. PTO's could run at constant speed, set to any desired speed, or could be programmed to follow ground speed.

/ The future of tractor design #2  
oh cool!! i did not want to get too far over my head :laughing:

/ The future of tractor design #3  
One big difference is a tractor has to be mobile, stationary stuff you can just plug in. A tractor would have to carry batteries.

I suppose if you could figure out how to mount them up it could just be ballast but imagine trying to get the hay in before a storm and having to shut down for a day for the batteries to recharge!

/ The future of tractor design
One big difference is a tractor has to be mobile, stationary stuff you can just plug in. A tractor would have to carry batteries.

I suppose if you could figure out how to mount them up it could just be ballast but imagine trying to get the hay in before a storm and having to shut down for a day for the batteries to recharge!

No, the scheme is that the diesel generator would provide all the power just as a diesel-elecrtric locomotive does. The main difference between this and a locomotive is the use of servos and steppers for implement operation and the control of differential wheel speed, etc. No waiting on batteries. It would make enough electricity to run several homes.

/ The future of tractor design #5  
I think I'll keep mine. And I thought tier 4 was bad.

/ The future of tractor design
I think I'll keep mine. And I thought tier 4 was bad.

You have the Tier 4 motor either way (and whatever future Tiers they dream up). I know some molding mechanics and operators who had the same reaction until they got some time with them. Now, you couldn't run fast enough to give them another hydraulic machine.

/ The future of tractor design #7  
I like the idea and have thought about this some. For the small ranch type tractor, you could run it mostly off batteries and keep a smaller diesel power plant on board that kicks in to charge when needed. For 1/2 hour jobs, perhaps the batteries could provide all the power and then be plugged into the wall outlet. Utility power, as much as we like to complain about it, is still cheaper in most cases than making your own. Batteries are heavy, and that is bad in a car and great in a tractor. As far as electric servos or linear actuators, I think that could work.

For the real farmer, I think this would not be so good. For the guy that cleans a few horse stalls, mows a little, plows a driveway...those sort of fairly short term activities, I think this is worth exploring. If you check around a little, there is more than one company pondering this electric tractor idea.

/ The future of tractor design #8  
You have the Tier 4 motor either way (and whatever future Tiers they dream up). I know some molding mechanics and operators who had the same reaction until they got some time with them. Now, you couldn't run fast enough to give them another hydraulic machine.

I worked at Van Dorn for years so I know of what you say. They still order the big piston machines.

/ The future of tractor design #9  
On some Soviet Collective Farms in the 1920's, the tractors were electrically driven and trailed power cables for considerable distances.

/ The future of tractor design #10  
On some Soviet Collective Farms in the 1920's, the tractors were electrically driven and trailed power cables for considerable distances.

Would like to have seen a picture of that.