The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work"

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #121  
I guess we all have our preferences on what works best for us. and no, that was not in the training. but I am certified in automotive,not agriculture or industrial. this is a method developed by the old schooler's way before my time. and it's a method that still works today and many still use it. repairing leaky crack's in the differential housing's on a brand new car under factory warranty with JB weld is not in the training either,and there was quite a run on the cracks too on the Mavericks and Granada's but that's what Ford had us doing in 1977 at the dealer,and no comebacks either, what i have found in my years of turning wrenches is,if you just stick to the book you will never learn the tricks of the trade,it's the seasoned tech's that teach the newbies out of technical school the tricks of the trade and to use other ways to make repairs as most people cannot afford to have the vehicles or tractors fixed by the book.just when I was a automotive electrician, I did not have any customers that would go by the book and replace a defective wiring harness. too much money,so I repaired or patched the harness,depending on the customers budget

Last edited:
   / The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #122  
Well I have turned the wrench for over forty years overhauled 1000s of engines never used abrasives to seat Anything. I use a light oil not engine oil usually marvel oil
Stuff gives enough lube till running and engine does the rest no smokers no boom boom no blow by
They run as long as customer lets them

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #123  
we all have our preference's on what works best for us,me,when I charge an A/C after repairs are made I always charge from the high side. most tech's charge from the low.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #124  
There are manufacturers that use abrasives in the engine cleaning process. One is BMW with their walnut routine to clean the valves.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #125  
A question for the OP. How long a warranty did this guy give you ? I,m thinking he is trying to push you along with lies til the warranty is over. Whoever the guy was that tried to do these repairs for you is a quack. Hopefully you haven,t paid him any money, and take it to a real mechanic. It is the only way to properly fix this mess that you are in.

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #126  
This reminds me of the old Audi fans thread where a dude convinced everyone he stuck the intake of his new s4 in a bucket of sandblasting media, then revved engine to 5k for a few minutes to “port and polish” the intake. Then proceeded to ask for advice about why his check engine light was flashing and making terrible sounds. lol.

Last edited:
   / The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #127  
I guess we all have our preferences on what works best for us. and no, that was not in the training. but I am certified in automotive,not agriculture or industrial. this is a method developed by the old schooler's way before my time. and it's a method that still works today and many still use it. repairing leaky crack's in the differential housing's on a brand new car under factory warranty with JB weld is not in the training either,and there was quite a run on the cracks too on the Mavericks and Granada's but that's what Ford had us doing in 1977 at the dealer,and no comebacks either, what i have found in my years of turning wrenches is,if you just stick to the book you will never learn the tricks of the trade,it's the seasoned tech's that teach the newbies out of technical school the tricks of the trade and to use other ways to make repairs as most people cannot afford to have the vehicles or tractors fixed by the book.just when I was a automotive electrician, I did not have any customers that would go by the book and replace a defective wiring harness. too much money,so I repaired or patched the harness,depending on the customers budget
All the while charging the customer “book“ time while tricking their rides?

/ The guy that put the engine internals together says "The rings are not seated yet end the smoking is normal. Just give it a couple hours of work" #128  
There are manufacturers that use abrasives in the engine cleaning process. One is BMW with their walnut routine to clean the valves.
Yeah, walnut blasting the intake ports and backside of intakes valves is an accepted best practice for higher mileage GTDI (gasoline turbo direct injected) engines, some of which are more problematic for carbon-buildup than others. But this is a targeted cleaning operation, intentionally using walnut shell media because it's the most gentle available. The cylinders are done sequentially with the engine turned over to make sure the valves are CLOSED, so you dont get any garbage into the cylinder, then it's all vacuumed out to keep the engine internals pristine and clear of foreign material.

A somewhat reluctant compromise to keep a specific area of the engine clean after high miles - very different notion than intentionally dumping abrasives into a running engine to purposely accelerate wear on all internal metal components.