The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,961  
Working my way from the top down, I installed the two top rails, then the baluster bottom rail, then the balusters.

Top rails:
Spirallandingrailings006_zps5be79a29.jpg

Blauster bottom rail pre-drilled with baluster "pockets":
Spirallandingrailings003_zps7221a6e6.jpg

Bottom rails attached to the landing:
Spirallandingrailings007_zps4fb44d0b.jpg

#1,962  
Balusters installed:
Spirallandingrailings008_zps54f8029d.jpg

Left side:
Spirallandingrailings010_zpsabdf5184.jpg

Right side(faces front door):
Spirallandingrailings011_zpsc2285329.jpg

Next is something to go from the top of the center pole to the roof/rafters. I ordered a brass ball with the stairwell to cap the center pole..... Well you should have seen the faces.....like I just kicked a puppy, " a brass ball....that goes on a flagpole":confused3: I was shamed so bad I guess I have to take a trip to the woods for something special..........:muttering::laughing:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,963  
You come up with more original unique good ideas....it looks great. Tony. ps the brass ball would be another

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,965  
M-7
I was wondering why the two top handrail stub logs are so much bigger in diameter than the top rails they join to on your loft?

I was going to insert an image but find with JAVA disabled that neither an insert or attachment is possible on this site.
Ron

#1,966  
FB I used a 1" spade bit.

Pacer, before I oredered the stairwell I made a WAG as to how wide the staircase landing would be. I then terminated the cedar railings on each side & put up the temporary ladder. I guess I need to re-calibrate my WAG because the opening was a bit larger then the stair landing. So it was either remove & replace the two finished top rails(5-6' in diameter) with all the balusters or make-up the deficit by using larger logs(7-7.5" in diameter). I chose the easy way:proposetoast:

The top rails should have been about this long(in red outline):
Spirallandingrailings006Large_zps48f150b1.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,967  
Sorry I mean the v shaped groove down the center of the log. I found some pictures of an Alaskan Trapper Shack, and the way it was constructed it had two v shapped cuts on the side of the log to hold the side logs in place. (my little one wants a tree house, this might be a fun way to make it). Just wondering what you used to make sure I am doing it the easy way.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,968  
For the top of the pole, and using something unique, what about an old fashion street light? Or a weathervane?

Eddie

#1,969  
Ahhh yes, chainsaw. The entire bottom rail has a "L" shaped groove cut in it so it can lip over the end of the floor and cover it.

Here are some older pic's of how I did the longer logs:
Lostfailings024.jpg

Lostfailings023.jpg

Use a straight edge to draw a line down the log. Using the saw tip, score a shallow line. Then go back and make your cut being careful to stop at your desired depth. Roll the log 90 degrees and repeat. If you want to do a "V" then make your first cut at 90 degrees then roll another 45 degrees for the second. Study every log since they are all different & may need tweaking here and there.

#1,970  
For the top of the pole, and using something unique, what about an old fashion street light? Or a weathervane?

Eddie

I can't Eddie, the pole terminates at the top of that left cedar railing(third pic above) & you would run into it trying to go down the stairs. What ever it is it has to go straight up 5-6' before anything sticks out. I have a real cool cedar trunk that is forked. It was already pressure washed when I did the rails but due to the fork I could not find a place for it. I drug it in out of the rain yesterday lugged it up the stairs and set it on top of the pole. The overall length of it is 7.5'......it was about a foot short from reaching the ceiling/rafters.

I think what I want is one that not only forks but has a heavy twist to it so it goes with the spiral theme. I have seen them out in my woods, but darned if I can't remember just where they were so it looks like a good day for a hike. Besides the pastures are all flooded & there is 2' of water over the road on the approach to our bridge....we are "trapped" here today.....what a shame:laughing: