The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
I got the front and back stained today, then finished up studding in the East gable. Then I worked on the bird blocks and used 2x10's on the outside. The inside will require insulation and another slab of wood to seal it all up.

Before stain:
ExteriorStain001.jpg

After stain:
ExteriorStain002.jpg

ExteriorStain003.jpg

Gable studs(I hate this dark at 5ish thing......):
ExteriorStain005.jpg

Ok...y'all....I am stumped..... usually I can see what I want in my pea brain before I build it. But this west gable window design has me seeing zero. I just can't figure out what kind of shape to do the windows. I like the idea of glass in the existing Peace Sign or Crow's foot...beyond that nothing seems to click.

These are my attempts:
RoofFoamBasementwork017-1.jpg

RoofFoamBasementwork017Large.jpg

RoofDoneBasementSlab011.jpg

GarageDoorSidewalk009-1.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #603  
Here's my suggestion for the windows...

237659d1321326310-log-house-project-begins-garagedoorsidewalk.jpg

I'd remove the two short braces at the bottom of the center beam, however.

Attachments

• GarageDoorSidewalk.jpg
    GarageDoorSidewalk.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,150
   / The Log house Project begins........ #604  
What about stained glass in one of the patterns you like? I bet you could find an local artist to put something cool together for you.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #605  
Could your blast the outside with something like ground up peanut shells or another soft and enviromentally friendly media as opposed to using grit?

In Aviation, for extreme delicate blasting, crushed walnut shells are used.
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #606  
Ok...y'all....I am stumped..... usually I can see what I want in my pea brain before I build it. But this west gable window design has me seeing zero. I just can't figure out what kind of shape to do the windows. I like the idea of glass in the existing Peace Sign or Crow's foot...beyond that nothing seems to click.

Rick,
What about the whole end being a huge picture window?
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, cha-ching...too much $$$$ and too much heat in the summer. It would be awesome in the winter though.

IPlay...interesting, might be too busy(so are mine).......I'll mull it over.

W&F, I can do stained glass...it's only been about 30 years. I would still want the double insulated glass up there then I would put the stained panel in behind it. I can always add that later.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #608  
this is a rather crude ,but you get the idea.

Attachments

• RoofFoamBasementwork017-1.jpg
    RoofFoamBasementwork017-1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 441
   / The Log house Project begins........ #609  
...IPlay...interesting, might be too busy(so are mine).......I'll mull it over...

You could just do a single triangle.

I like Chooglin's idea better, though. You could probably scavenge a used or surplus window for the center and then only have to pay full price for the two side triangles. You may even be able to have that center square window double hung so it can be opened in the summer to let the heat out.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #610  
Ok...y'all....I am stumped.....

I don't care for anything that you drew so far. They scare me and look "gimmicky"

I'm the type who likes tried and true, something that has proven to look good for decades and not make me think of a certain period or decade. Think avacado green appliances or velvet walpaer.

What I see in the gable is a sunburst pattern. Probably six windows, but maybe more, depending on the price of the glass and getting it installed. Start at the bottom of your post and put another post going up and out.

It's timeless, proven and not what you see every day, but also not something that anybody would wonder what you where thinking when you did it.

Or go look at some log cabin magazines at Barns & Noble. I steal ideas from magazines all the time. It's better to see it already done, then to try and invent something new that has a good chance of not working out.

Eddie