The True Test

/ The True Test #1  

RotorWrench

Tractor
Holder C5000 Toolcat 5600
I got my Toolcat primarily for snow removal and more versatility than the equipment I was previously using. The concerns I had were snowblowing performance and cold weather operations. The machine it replaced was a beast for snowblowing and blade work regardless of snow depth, density and temperature, but lacking in versatility and implement options, especially a bucket.

We've had a very abnormal winter this year with well below snowfall and mild temps. We barely have 3ft on the ground right now, and that's after 17" yesterday. The coldest temperature has been -10F which normally by now we would have had several systems with snow and -15F to -30F temps.

The jury has been out as to whether the Toolcat was going to serve our needs due to lack of normal weather and if I was going to keep it, I needed to decide before winter was over as it would be easier to sell locally during winter.

I've been happy so far with the Toolcat's performance using a 79" Quick Attach snowblower, especially in heavier snow. I expected it to be slower and less torque than my prior machine but it's actually not as bad as I was anticipating. I don't know how much of that is the blower but regardless, it has done well so far. This is on a climbing 3/4 mile gravel driveway/road with three steep grade sections and two switchbacks, as well as two neighbors roads of similar conditions. Blowing uphill was no problem when using 1/2" studded chains.

Starting in an unheated shop at -10F using only the stock block heater has been no problem either. That was one of my previous concerns. Also another concern, cabin heat and defroster performance has been good so far. As a matter of fact, even at -10F I was having to strip down to my t-shirt, having to keep the heat cranked up enough to keep the front glass from fogging. I've since found a happy medium by finding the right temp and fan speed along with the windows cracked.

The point to the prior rambling, finally, this week, at my place, we're forecast to have daily heavy blowing snow for the next six days or so with -20F to -34F temps, not wind chill. If the Toolcat starts ok and performs adequately she will be a keeper. If not, I'll have a nice low hour 5610 for sale. I now have pre-filtered 50/50 diesel in her as well as low temp hydraulic fluid so gelling and sluggish hydraulics shouldn't be an issue, as my other equipment does fine with that.

We'll see.

/ The True Test #2  
Good assessment. Hope it works for you. I use a plow on the front and rear of my 5610 and it works great for what I have to plow.

/ The True Test
What I love so far, which I couldn't do before, and really saves me some time, similar to your setup, is having a blower on the front and a blade on the rear. Previously that was taking two pieces of equipment. I'm really hoping it does well for me this week because I'm really liking a lot about this machine and would hate to have to get rid of it now.

/ The True Test #4  
we are forcast to get 4 to 6 inches today, be the first time using the toolcat and switch between the V blade and blower, as it sits the blade will do the work tonight, for me its the second seat and not climbing over aa bucket or blower to get in the cab

/ The True Test
I would love to have a V plow but unfortunately we get too much snow to plow, no where to put it all. Also when I first started plowing the berms on the side of the road would get too high to plow anymore and I had to use a skidsteer to take them down.

Even with a traditional blower setup the sides get so high from normal snow levels that I had to make a berm cutter and mount to the sides of my blower. On my previous machine I could only raise the blower up about 2 feet max, which still wasn't high enough.
IMG_20180219_1703209(1).jpg
IMG_20180219_1704249(1).jpg

With the Toolcat I can raise the blower high enough without the need to mount berm cutters.

The rear blade I have mounted is mainly for back blading, pulling snow away from areas and buildings.

/ The True Test #7  
thats snow, the V blade is good for a foot of snow, the toolcat will travel fast enough to throw it in the ditch, once the ditch is full it piles on the sides like your pictures then I use the skidsteer with a high dump bucket to either haul it in the field or dump it over the ditch, some years ago we had lots of snow similar to yours, each day snow would blow in and fill between the berms, ended up running the Deere 644 to push it back till it got stuck, sat there till spring

/ The True Test #8  
"With the Toolcat I can raise the blower high enough without the need to mount berm cutters."

With the Toolcat's 4 wheel steering, you could crab steer so the blower sticks out further to the side too. Yes, that is a bunch of snow....very pretty area.

/ The True Test
Wow, where are you? That looks like the Tahoe region.
Montana. They revised our forecast yesterday and now say we have a 70% probability of seeing -43F Friday and Saturday in the mountain corridor I live in :(. I guess I'll find out how well the filter heater I install a couple of weeks ago works.

Last edited:
   / The True Test #10  
That's a nice Holder tractor you got there. (y)