The True Test

/ The True Test #11  
I'm in NW MT doing this.
Screenshot 2024-01-10 133938.jpg

/ The True Test
"With the Toolcat I can raise the blower high enough without the need to mount berm cutters."

With the Toolcat's 4 wheel steering, you could crab steer so the blower sticks out further to the side too. Yes, that is a bunch of snow....very pretty area.
Important point. That is actually a safety feature for me as my road has some steep drop-offs on the road edges which crabbing allows me to keep my width without getting so close to the edge. It took me a few tries to get the technique down but it's definitely a much needed function for me.

/ The True Test
That's a nice Holder tractor you got there. (y)
It's a snow moving beast and as maneuverable as the Toolcat. It's served me well for 13yrs but very limited in use for me. I think the compromises I'm making in switching to the Toolcat are worth it for the versatility.

/ The True Test
OK, last night it was -24F in my unheated shop when I went to start the Toolcat for a long night of blowing. I unplugged the block heater and tried starting with one glow plug cycle and she started fine. A few more engine revolutions than normal but still a good start. Two factors that contribute I believe, are me putting in diesel #1 the night before and I continued with the Toolcat a practice I have of covering the engine compartment with a large moving/packing blanket when plugged in.

Also pleased with how well the Quick Attach snowblower did, especially with the drifts I was dealing with. My previous blowers all had ribbon augers and while able to deal with the drifts, it was a little work and patience due to the density of sub-zero drifts. The auger has a hard time working into the drift without it packing even tighter and resisting being moved. The paddle auger with toothed paddles on the Quick Attach just ate right through the 4ft drifts we had last night with no problem.

The one area of disappointment was the heat output of the defroster not being able to keep up with the swirling and blowing snow I was being engulfed in. I had a real problem keeping the ice buildup off the windshield and wiper blades, frequently having to stop and scrape the windshield and remove ice from the blades. They're new Bosch Icon winter blades and do fine on my other rigs.

Also the back glass was frequently frosting up on the inside, interfering with my rear visibility. That was easily scraped though, not a big deal. To be fair, heavy snow, 35/40mph winds and -26F temps are challenging for any piece of equipment. The Holder did better here though, probably due to 4 evenly spaced defroster louvers, higher heat and stronger fan. I think using the Prestone de-ice wiper fluid I use in my truck would help quite a bit, so trying it tonight for round two but at forecast -34F temps instead. Cabin heat was comfortable for me otherwise, never getting chilled with my coat off.

Otherwise the Toolcat performed well under those conditions and after tonight if things go well, I believe I'll be keeping her.