Security & Theft theif proofing a tractor

/ theif proofing a tractor #11  
There have been several threads in the past here on TBN, regarding your question and concerns. Try the SEARCH section at the top of this page. Best wishes. BTW, Welcome aboard.

/ theif proofing a tractor #12  
Good neighbours are 50% of the solution. If possible park the tractor within sight of their house. Other than that, a hidden switch of some kind on the fuel solenoid or ignition.
You can also get tracking systems similar to those used on construction equipment. Believe "Boomerang" is one name.

/ theif proofing a tractor
Hi all

thanks very much for your input. Apart from the useful suggestions, I have learnt something new. I now know what Claymores are. After thinking about all you said, I realised the truth of the comment that it doesn't matter what I do, if someone wants to take it they will find a way. So, I took out insurance against theft and vandalism.

I notice that all contributors are from Northern Hemisphere, but I know this site has Australian members because I have already replied to one post a neighbour of mine put up recently. For those of us downunder, it might be handy to know that I got $16000 AU cover (it's only a compact tractor) with $400 excess for only $225 per year. It was from CGU and I got my policy through Darling Downs Insurance Brokers. I dealt with the Warwick office where I had the good fortune to have Hayley work it all out in a very efficient and professional manner. (I dont mind plugging places that provide a good product and good service). I thought that it was pretty reasonable for the peace of mind. I could have easily spent that much on chains and locks and Claymores.

thanks again and I hope others find this thread useful.

Peter.

/ theif proofing a tractor #15  
One thing I have seen for tractors is a locking clamp that goes over the steering cylinder rod when the wheels are turned fully to the side. Makes it difficult to load and they are hardened so the thief cannot get it off without ruining the steer cylinder. In the US many contractors use them on backhoe loaders and the like.

I am not familiar with your machine. Is it sized so it can fit in a shipping container? I have seen people get damaged containers for scrap price and use them for secure locked storage on remote sites. Mostly I have seen them lock up tools, fuel, parts, etc., but they are great protection and if you can get your machine inside one...

/ theif proofing a tractor #16  
How bad is your neighborhood?

I just leave the key in the ignition of one of my tractors.
The other one has a push-button start & no key.

While a tractor can be worth a few thousand dollars, transporting and selling it wouldn't be as easy as things like a TV.

It wouldn't hurt to have current photos and serial numbers of all your equipment.

/ theif proofing a tractor #17  
Go to a tractor dealer and ask them how they keep people from ripping off tractors on their lots.

Of course, most may not tell you because they might suspect you have a "Plan".

My dealer takes out the main fuse and engages the PTO lever. He also runs a heavy chain through the rear rims of several tractors thus chaining them together.

A knowledgeable and determined thief is extremely hard to defeat.

/ theif proofing a tractor #18  
unfortunately.. either a 24 hour armed guard.. OR insurance seems to be the best bet.

otherwise.. tractors are ez to steal.

a rollback will get 97% of them.. and electrics are easy to bypass with a gator clip.

this topic has come up many, many, many times here.

you can do things like take tires off and such.. but they just make it harder for you..

Hi

just joined this forum so hi to everyone.

I have just purchased a Foton FT254 FEL with slasher. Unfortunately, I have to live in the city for work and only get out to the block on weekends, sometimes with a few weeks in between. Although the property is only five acres and does have neighbours, for piece of mind, I would like to make the tractor as secure as possible. It doesn't have a secure shed, just a roof over it. I disconnected the main fuse harness connector before I left last Sunday, but I was wondering what other things absentee owners do to secure their tractors. Obviously, a wild, hungry, dog is out of the question as are landmines :) (I'm trying to preempt any smart answers here).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Peter.

/ theif proofing a tractor #19  
Buying insurance as you have done is about the only protection that you can get from theft. Even the most sophisticated alarms and bank vaults can be cracked by a determined thief. Taking the battery or installing hidden switches to stop vandal kids who just want to joyride is a good thing but nothing you can do will stop a real thief. Record all your serial numbers, take some photos of the tractor for your records and keep your insurance premium paid up it the only real protection you can have.
A shipping container is a very good deterrent for local vandals. I don't know about Australia, but here they are fairly cheap and a good water tight one can be had for around $2-3K delivered. If you are close to a port city they are much cheaper. You can even get two of the 40ftx8ft high ones and space them about 30 feet apart and then roof over the gap to form a very large shed with secure storage on each side. Most compact tractors will fit inside them as they are about 7.5 x 7.5 feet inside dimensions. NOTE that not all are 8 feet tall so if you decide to buy one specify you want the 8 foot one. There is also aluminum ones available that never rust.

/ theif proofing a tractor #20  
Black flash trail camera well hidden and in a locking box. There are X camera systems that tie to the Internet and offer motion detection alerts.