Security & Theft theif proofing a tractor

/ theif proofing a tractor #21  
A short note on chains. Schedule 100, or at least schedule 80, is difficult (if not impossible) to cut with a bolt cutter or hack saw, and slower to cut with an abrasive wheel. I have a couple of chains that bear witness to multiple unsuccessful attempts to cut them. You can find these at suppliers of lifting and rigging equipment and services, and they usually have "wire rope" in the business name.

There are hardened locks that stand up well to attack also. Mul-T-LocK is one brand, but there are others. I like the Mul-t-lock because you can lend the key to someone, and they can't go to Walmart and get a duplicate made. But, both of the above suggestions are pricy.

BTW, I have no illusions that either of these will keep out the dedicated thief, so I have insurance as well.

/ theif proofing a tractor #22  
Hi

just joined this forum so hi to everyone.

I have just purchased a Foton FT254 FEL with slasher. Unfortunately, I have to live in the city for work and only get out to the block on weekends, sometimes with a few weeks in between. Although the property is only five acres and does have neighbours, for piece of mind, I would like to make the tractor as secure as possible. It doesn't have a secure shed, just a roof over it. I disconnected the main fuse harness connector before I left last Sunday, but I was wondering what other things absentee owners do to secure their tractors. Obviously, a wild, hungry, dog is out of the question as are landmines :) (I'm trying to preempt any smart answers here).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Peter.

Nothing you can do really-if someone wants it bad enough they are gonna get it. You can limit exposure by concealing it and locking it inside a shed or garage. Make sure you got pictures and serial numbers recorded and try and keep it under survaliance. Also have good theft insurance on it.

/ theif proofing a tractor #23  
A motion sensing solar light at night would get the neighbor's attention. My neighbors live quite a way off but can see a light come on and are good about checking why I have it adjusted so the critters don't set it off. During the day isn't so much a problem since all the neighbors can see anyone that drives by and know who belongs. Fortunately I have great neighbors.