Things that I don't need on my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things that I don't need on my truck #101  
The reason the 5.0l is a good engine is because it DOESN'T need twin turbos to make power. Exactly why a well designed larger displacement direct injected N/A engine will be the next great engine. Not some twin turbo high tech money pit. Turbos and special cooling systems are "things I that don't need on my truck". The 6.2l is only 50HP/54lb.ft. more than the 5.0

GM may beat everyone to it with their new line of direct injected engines for 2014 too! The 6.2l d.i. will be a real monster.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Dec/1213_ecotec3-engines.html

Just about 9 months ago you were running down direct injection. Now it looks like you are a fan. How many months before you become a turbo fan?

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #102  
Just about 9 months ago you were running down direct injection. Now it looks like you are a fan. How many months before you become a turbo fan?
Find that and quote it. What I said was Direct Injection is nice but expensive when it fails. High combustion temps and pressure lead to early failure so turbo charging a DI engine is asking for trouble. Larger displacement NA engines with lower compression and larger cooling will certainly last longer.

BTW, 14 months ago I bought a direct injected MAZDA 3 SKYACTIV car with direct injection because I believe in the technology. If it was turbo and direct injected, I would have passed.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #103  
my first car was a 62 Plymouth Valiant. It was so bare bones, I had a minnow bucket where the front seat should be. I drove that car to the junk yard. Couldn't beat those slant six motors.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #104  
Push button 4wd and carpet in a truck.

I want a manual shifter, they work. When you need 4wd you need it. I wear muddy boots in my truck. I will ruin carpets in one hunting trip.

And yes, I've had the electric 4wd in a late model fail me.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #105  
I like watching the first of boating season and seeing the boats leave the dock with the drain plug still in the glove box!

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #106  
Find that and quote it. What I said was Direct Injection is nice but expensive when it fails. High combustion temps and pressure lead to early failure so turbo charging a DI engine is asking for trouble. Larger displacement NA engines with lower compression and larger cooling will certainly last longer.

BTW, 14 months ago I bought a direct injected MAZDA 3 SKYACTIV car with direct injection because I believe in the technology. If it was turbo and direct injected, I would have passed.

Your quote from 7-14-12.
"Either way, go on and enjoy your Ecoboost. I'm sure Ford will replace it in 3-5 years like most of their other engines falling to catostraphic failure. I'll stick with proven (9+ year run), simple (NA, pushrod, low compression, indirect injection, cast iron block, etc...) V8's."

Direction injection is a great compliment to a turbo charged motor. Not sure what early failures you speak of. Lots of direct injection high compression turbo Diesel engines lasting longer than the truck frames out and about. At least you are now starting to join in on the technology movement. Still not sure why the hang up of recovering some heat loss with a turbo rather than letting it go out the tailpipe.

This is why I would not add a turbo to this list of items not desired in a truck.

Attachments

• image-521849565.jpg
    image-521849565.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1133916333.jpg
    image-1133916333.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 46
   / Things that I don't need on my truck #107  
Your quote from 7-14-12
"Either way, go on and enjoy your Ecoboost. I'm sure Ford will replace it in 3-5 years like most of their other engines falling to catostraphic failure. I'll stick with proven (9+ year run), simple (NA, pushrod, low compression, indirect injection, cast iron block, etc...) V8's."

Direction injection is a great compliment to a turbo charged motor. Not sure what early failures you speak of. Lots of direct injection high compression turbo Diesel engines lastly longer than the truck frames out and about.

Didn't see anything in that quote "running down" direct injection. I did prefer simple engines to the turbo charged direct injected Ecoboost and still do. I guarantee a N/A direct injected engine will easily outlast a turbo charged one. Comparing a diesel engine to gas engine just because both are turbo and direct injected is just stupid...

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #108  
What I said was Direct Injection is nice but expensive when it fails. High combustion temps and pressure lead to early failure so turbo charging a DI engine is asking for trouble. Larger displacement NA engines with lower compression and larger cooling will certainly last longer.

Diesels have high combustion temps. They can last pretty long.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #109  
The only thing I don't like about the newer trucks is the headlight dimmer switch being on the column. I have a heck of a time getting my foot up there to dim the headlights!

That is one of my favorite features on my 78 bronco. Why in the h::l did that go away???

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #110  
Didn't see anything in that quote "running down" direct injection. I did prefer simple engines to the turbo charged direct injected Ecoboost and still do. I guarantee a N/A direct injected engine will easily outlast a turbo charged one. Comparing a diesel engine to gas engine just because both are turbo and direct injected is just stupid...

Here is another from 1/13/22
"Secondly, ever priced out a fuel injector for a Direct Injected engine? $$$$ "
You included your famous "roll eyes" at the end of that one that I didn't paste.
There is probably more but I am not wasting my time on this anymore. For some reason you hate the ecoboost and have to drag it into this thread. Not sure what your definition of a simple engine is. None are simple anymore which is a great thing if you like efficiency and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.