Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset?

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #21  
Won't most of the fasteners be in pre-drilled holes in hardware (like joist hangers)?

Do you have a specialized nailgun to place nails in that application (through the metal hole)?

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #22  
When our last kid went off to college last year, my wife and I took down the two swings and substituted one porch swing for us... it's our turn!!! :)

You'll be just a swingin.:)

Steve

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #23  
Since this will be going though cycles of the wood drawing moisture, swelling, drying and shrinking, it will lift out nails and loosen the structure. Treated lumber has some extreme swell/shrink cycles. I would only use screws.

Last edited:
   / Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #24  
I think some of those suggesting the use of nails are confusing what happens with a house that is protected from the elements to wood that is left out in the weather to get wet, dry out and move around. Nails are the worse thing possible for holding wood together that is exposed to Mother Nature. Ring shank nails have their place, and will hold a little longer then screws, but nowhere near as well as screws. It's night and day.

Neither nails or screws are to be used for structural loads, so comparing sheer strength of either is moot. Both will fail if used improperly. Both are designed to hold lumber in place, not support any kind of a load. Imagine if there was no nail or screw to hold it in place, would that piece of wood stay there on it's own for a second without the fastener? If yes, then a nail or screw is good. If not, then a structural fastener designed for that application is needed. Thing like joist hangers or bolts or even structural screws are then needed for that specific application.

If the engineers that designed the play set say to use screws, then you should use screws.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #25  
I would think there is no "blanket" answer, and the optimum is probably a mix of nails and screws. Unlike simple framing, these sorts of structures have all sorts of different joints/attachments and loads. Same as the boathouse roof I built over my pier. That had a mix of nails and screws because there were individual cases where one was better than the other.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #26  
So the instructions call for screws but to save a little time OP wants to just use the nail gun. Then a debate ensues about nails vs screws- interesting but not the right question. Right question- Is this for your kin or mine? Some time can also be saved by putting in fewer nails. Also consider shorter nails as they are cheaper which would also save some time earning the money pay for the nails. A smaller playset would also save some time assembling. Or skip the playset to really save time.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #27  
This. The correct "tool" for the job. Using screws under shear loads can result in catastrophic failure without warning. Using nails in compression joints will usually give some warning before total failure occurs IF someone is paying attention.

my framing books say the same thing, to use screws where there are high shear loads, as they will bend and not break. i have screen screws snapped cleanly...

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #28  
Contrary to most suggestions I'd trust box coated or ring shanked power driven nails.

If you ever tried pulling box coated nails out you'd understand why* I suggest that, for one they are slimmer and of harder steel and don't split the wood like regular ones do.

*usually the head pulls off after serious effort is applied.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #29  
do it the way you want. either way is acceptable to me.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #30  
Contrary to most suggestions I'd trust box coated or ring shanked power driven nails.

If you ever tried pulling box coated nails out you'd understand why* I suggest that, for one they are slimmer and of harder steel and don't split the wood like regular ones do.

*usually the head pulls off after serious effort is applied.

Unless they're galvanized, they will rust and fail. Then have you ever used a galvanized coated nail in a nail gun, I can't seem to nail a set without a jam.