Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset?

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #31  
Nails are simply better at resisting shear loads, while screws are better for "pull-out" loads. If you do use screws, DO NOT use the inexpensive "drywall screws," (even the long ones) as they perform very poorly under shear loads. The drywall screws also have a tendency to fail under tension before the screw actually pulls out. Make sure that any screws used for a project like this are structural quality with a good shear rating. Most manufacturers will have a website link to provide shear strength information for their screw fasteners.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #32  
Contrary to most suggestions I'd trust box coated or ring shanked power driven nails.

If you ever tried pulling box coated nails out you'd understand why* I suggest that, for one they are slimmer and of harder steel and don't split the wood like regular ones do.

*usually the head pulls off after serious effort is applied.
I agree when you just nail them in and try to take them out, but after a few years they come out real easy on decks

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #33  
Guys,
If you look at that playground, nothing is supported by the screws. Anything with any weight on it is supported by carriage bolts. Just like a proper deck. The screws just hold down the decking and hold the side slats to the frame. With all the jumping and running around and movement from the swings, nails will work out over time while the screws will not. That's why they recommend screws.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #34  
Construct it according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Anything else is an unnecessary liability.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #35  
Probably the best option is using a coil or stick 'Quick Drive' style screw gun if you want the best.
I even have a case or 2 of Galvanized screw strips for my Quick Drive that I never used. (was an auction buy).
The quick drive rig even has an extension to allow you to drive flooring or roof plywood sheets without stooping.

"Construct it according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Anything else is an unnecessary liability", guess that's good recommendation being as how you are in the USA where everybody supports his atty's luxurious life styles.

For good screws the flooring type is the better INMHO, most are Robertson heads (square) but really hold well. They also can be had colored green or brown to match treated woods. Flooring screws are designed to pull tight in that they have no threads in the upper section.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #36  
One of the best tools that I have every bought was a HF 1/4" impact screw gun!
They go on sale for as little as $39. the spare batteries are about $16.
I installed Hardie Plank Siding on a 2564 sq ft house with mine and had to use Hardie Backer Screws because the house has metal studs.
I went through 2 boxes (800 a box) of screws and the gun worked perfectly!
The impact feature worked so much better than a screw gun. I would have bet that it would not. Far less stripped heads too. (almost none!)
On the play set? SCREWS!

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #37  
I have a hard time finding long screws (2.5"on up) that I don't go through a bunch of bits with. The last time I bought a 25# box of screws for decking that used only a #3 Phillips bit. I got the box 10 years ago and I had a difficult time to get it to slip or strip the bit. They were very good and I used a 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum drill to drive them in the full 2-1/2". Almost every screw drove in well and still on the original bit.

Now I can't find any of those made for Phillips #3 screws anymore and any other kind using Torx bits or square bits just don't work well for me unless I use balsa wood. The kind that used multiple styles of bits are useless unless used on thin soft material.

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #38  
I have a hard time finding long screws (2.5"on up) that I don't go through a bunch of bits with. The last time I bought a 25# box of screws for decking that used only a #3 Phillips bit. I got the box 10 years ago and I had a difficult time to get it to slip or strip the bit. They were very good and I used a 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum drill to drive them in the full 2-1/2". Almost every screw drove in well and still on the original bit.

Now I can't find any of those made for Phillips #3 screws anymore and any other kind using Torx bits or square bits just don't work well for me unless I use balsa wood. The kind that used multiple styles of bits are useless unless used on thin soft material.

I find the torx style bits to be pure magic...I can easily drive a screw while standing on a ladder, overhead, arm at full extension, and the bit will not skip at all. With a Phillips bit, I would be in danger of stripping the head, and then I would be inventing new swear words :dance1:

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #39  
Construct it according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Anything else is an unnecessary liability.

You joined TBN just to comment on liability??? hahaha

Welcome to TBN! :laughing: :thumbsup:

/ Think I could use nails instead of screws on a kids playset? #40  
You joined TBN just to comment on liability??? hahaha

Welcome to TBN! :laughing:
Na, I've been a lurker for a while. I didn't realize that was my first post!