thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #1  

leeinmemphis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 5040 with FEL
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a small farm that had an open type barn on it. We took a dozer and managed to get all the manure/hay/garbage out of it and got it back down to clean dirt. I am thinking about having a slab poured on the inner three bays and leaving the outer bay on each end open to put equipment under roof but not inside the building. I am thinking about pouring the slab 4" wider than the poles and framing/building exterior walls and tieing into the existing poles/roof trusses. Then in the center bay I would put two garage overhead doors on each end and then on the other two bays I would put overhead doors on one end. This would allow me to keep most of my equipment/trailers inside an enclosed building. As it sits now the barn is mostly open and under roof but isn't enclosed/secure at all.

I know the barn looks rough from the outside but the interior is in excellent shape and I think it is probably worth trying to save/fix up. I would strip off all the exterior siding/metal and re-do it to match whatever I put up.

openbarn.jpg

barn6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/leeinmemphis/barn.jpg

Basically I guess what I'm asking is do you guys think that this is worth trying to do or would I be better off to just burn this building down and put a metal building in it's place? I would think that I could probably save a considerable amount of money by doing it this way. Plus I can pretty much do all of this work myself and if I were to build a new building I would have to hire it out or hire some people to help me with it........well I can do it all except pour the concrete. I'll probably ask someone to help/do this for me. I am currently missing a couple pieces of tin on the roof but am likely just to replace the missing parts and then maybe in a year or two I'll replace the roof when it needs it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a small farm that had an open type barn on it. We took a dozer and managed to get all the manure/hay/garbage out of it and got it back down to clean dirt. I am thinking about having a slab poured on the inner three bays and leaving the outer bay on each end open to put equipment under roof but not inside the building. I am thinking about pouring the slab 4" wider than the poles and framing/building exterior walls and tieing into the existing poles/roof trusses. Then in the center bay I would put two garage overhead doors on each end and then on the other two bays I would put overhead doors on one end. This would allow me to keep most of my equipment/trailers inside an enclosed building. As it sits now the barn is mostly open and under roof but isn't enclosed/secure at all.

I know the barn looks rough from the outside but the interior is in excellent shape and I think it is probably worth trying to save/fix up. I would strip off all the exterior siding/metal and re-do it to match whatever I put up.

openbarn.jpg

barn6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/leeinmemphis/barn.jpg

Basically I guess what I'm asking is do you guys think that this is worth trying to do or would I be better off to just burn this building down and put a metal building in it's place? I would think that I could probably save a considerable amount of money by doing it this way. Plus I can pretty much do all of this work myself and if I were to build a new building I would have to hire it out or hire some people to help me with it........well I can do it all except pour the concrete. I'll probably ask someone to help/do this for me. I am currently missing a couple pieces of tin on the roof but am likely just to replace the missing parts and then maybe in a year or two I'll replace the roof when it needs it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #3  
If the inside is in great shape and the poles have no rot then I would go for it. Good Luck.

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #4  
If the inside is in great shape and the poles have no rot then I would go for it. Good Luck.

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #5  
I'd put one big overhead door in the main bay to retain flexability. At least 12 wide x 14 high. You may want to put something big in there someday. The building definitely looks like it's worth saving.

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #6  
I'd put one big overhead door in the main bay to retain flexability. At least 12 wide x 14 high. You may want to put something big in there someday. The building definitely looks like it's worth saving.

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #7  
Heck yeah, if the poles are solid and the roof is good, you are going to save thousands of $ by fixin it up. I jusd did the same thing to a shed on my place it was open sided 32x14, so i bought cast offs of poplar(1x6-8"x8 to 16' from a local sawmill: 3,000 boad ft for $450 and used 3/4ths of it to side the shed and build two bar doors on on end. I now have a mini barn that houses a ton of stuff that otherwise would have been in the neighbors barn. You will save in dollars and time, and in the end have a lot of useable space. You can always build a mac daddy barn later when you think you need it. It took me 5 days by myself to cover the thing...well worth the effort!

RD

Attachments

• 894697-Vermont 032 (Small).jpg
    894697-Vermont 032 (Small).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 223
   / thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #8  
Heck yeah, if the poles are solid and the roof is good, you are going to save thousands of $ by fixin it up. I jusd did the same thing to a shed on my place it was open sided 32x14, so i bought cast offs of poplar(1x6-8"x8 to 16' from a local sawmill: 3,000 boad ft for $450 and used 3/4ths of it to side the shed and build two bar doors on on end. I now have a mini barn that houses a ton of stuff that otherwise would have been in the neighbors barn. You will save in dollars and time, and in the end have a lot of useable space. You can always build a mac daddy barn later when you think you need it. It took me 5 days by myself to cover the thing...well worth the effort!

RD

/ thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #9  
This is the finished product....sorry didn't get a better pic...

Attachments

• 894699-All finished! (Small).jpg
    894699-All finished! (Small).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 283
   / thinking about renovating an old pole barn I have #10  
This is the finished product....sorry didn't get a better pic...