Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #11  
Hey Tony,

Might want to check out the Kama brand. I did and am greatly enjoying it. New tractor for a low price. The dealer was out of state and delivered right to my door step in NC.

Good Luck,
TR

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #12  
If you are really interested in the MF 135 I would sugget you keep looking. When I was looking for a small tractor I was told that a gas engine well likely need a major overhaul soon after 3000 hours unless it has been carefully maintained. I've known to many people who own tractors who don't seem to change oil except on leap years to take the chance with a high hour gas tractor. Lower hour MF 135's are out there. The local JD dealer has a 1971 with only 1700 hours and the tractor looks almost brand new. Has not been repainted and only has a few small dents in the front. It does not have a FEL. They want 5300. You can get almost every part on that tractor new. I almost bought it but am getting a JD 5103 instead because I plan to keep it until the grim reaper gets me, but I have to admit it has been hard to part with the extra money. I'm sure you could probably find something similar to this in your area.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #13  
I spent the better part of a year looking for something under 10K with a loader and saw alot of tractors. I ended up with a Ford 3000 with Loader but if that MF would have been in Oklahoma I would have jumped all over it.

If it were deisel I wouldn't even price haggle but it being gas try to get it for the least you can. Around here deisel MF 135's go for 5K everyday without loaders and not in the best of condition. If you buy it the odds are pretty good it will still be worth what you paid 3 or 4 years from now.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #14  
I'm thinking that $6K is the magic number. I love MF's, and they can command a pretty high price used, but I also believe that $6K is a very fair price for that unit.

I bought a 1966 MF 1130 with JD dozer blade on it for $800. Brought her home, did some maintenance and such, and I have to say that she is a monster. I guess I got lucky.

BC

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase
Once again, thank you all for the replies.

I have not had the time to go back to the dealer to do any haggling, and I'm still holding out hoping a great deal will come along locally. I have put the word out to everyone I see that I'm searching.

For those unfamiliar, I live in the "turkey capital" of the world, Rockingham County, Va. in the heart of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. Very rural, very agricultural. Quite a few of the farms here are Mennonite farms and JD green is required! It is surprising to me that I dont see more used equipment for sale than what I do...maybe i am looking in the wrong places.

From your replies and what other info I have been able to gather, the MF 135 would be a good fit for the task and 6k would seem like a pretty decent deal...I get a feeling they won't go less than 6.5, but I'll push the gas vs. diesel engine issue and even the multi-power "feature" when I do go to deal.

I haven't been able to find an original price for a 232 loader, but the dealer said it was a nearly $5,000 loader. OK, well it is obviously either quite new or had very little use.

I'm aware of the risks involved with a tractor of this age. I have turned a few wrenches in my day, and if i can make it live for a year or 2 to get the brunt of the grunt accomplished, I'll be ready to resell and get something smaller. Or I may have a new family member that I may never part with. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mostly, I just wanted to check in with you guys to let you know I've been watching the thread real close and didn't want you thinking I wasn't! As I said earlier, I am not in a huge rush to buy, so it could be awhile before you see me pry the wallet open.

Yes,yes, I've attached another picture....I know how much you guys like pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The 275 with the Bushog loader sitting beside the 135 is actually quite nice in my opinion. I think it's tagged at 14k something and it seems he said it could be had for close to 10k maybe? I didn't look at it very close or drive it because it looked a little big for my needs, but I may have to take a second look. It's very clean.

OK! Back to browsing!

Tony S.

Attachments

• 807226-MF135-115.jpg
    807226-MF135-115.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 216
   / Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #16  
$800 for a running 1130? You have cash in one hand and a Colt 1911 in the other /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif? Just kiddin! Love those old MF's - My 1130 does the jobs that my new 492 is a bit light for.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #17  
I'm not saying its not a good deal - but a diesel(with the same hours) without the multipower trans would be better /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Consider the 275 too.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm aware of the risks involved with a tractor of this age. I have turned a few wrenches in my day, and if i can make it live for a year or 2 to get the brunt of the grunt accomplished, I'll be ready to resell and get something smaller. Or I may have a new family member that I may never part with. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)</font>

If you can handle a wrench, all you need do is find "Big Deans Massey Ferguson website" And get his CD on the 100 series Massey's, and you have a tractor that anyone can work on, has lots of aftermarket parts in addition to a good supply of O.E.M. parts. Finally, any tractor will need some work. It's nice when you can do it yourself, instead of paying big hourly shop charges. It won't eat a hole in your wallet EVEN if there is some repairs needed in the future.

I stick with my story about 100 series Massey, ESPECIALLY the 135/150 being as good as any small tractor ever made, regardless of year. And the "service-at-home" simplicity is #1 in my book.

Try to look at the value of just the tractor. It's worth $4500 at the drop of a hat. PROBABLY a lot more.

The loader is worth every penny of $1500.

$6000 Good buy!

That combo would snag $7500 at a lot of the sales I've been to.

And I stand by my offer too. Buy it and don't like the loader? I'll take it off your hands.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #19  
I would have no fear on that 135 if it runs good.
They are easy to work on and that isn't a bad price for a good 135 with a loader.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I dont like the Multipower and would discount any MF tractor with that feature. They can be be dangerous for the novice. )</font>

Ken:

That statement seems out of character for you and what is the danger other than a freewheeling tractor. It's no worse that an IH TA. If the "freewheeling" is a danger, don't leave it in low range.