thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #31  
I don't know.....just think how old you'd be when the baby got to be 20 YO.... man, that's alot of responsibility.

Personally id adopt a needy child that's a little older...

Or maybe a 18 YO Swedish girl hehe... ouch. My wife hit me. I was only fooling... Geesh

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #32  
I don't know.....just think how old you'd be when the baby got to be 20 YO.... man, that's alot of responsibility.

Personally id adopt a needy child that's a little older...

Or maybe a 18 YO Swedish girl hehe... ouch. My wife hit me. I was only fooling... Geesh

I don't want to digress here. My dad remarried at 56 to a 20 year old (2 years older than me at the time, which was very hard for me) and had two boys and a great 10 years. He was happier in that 10 years than he was in the 18 years I had witnessed. I wonder from time to time that maybe I should find a mature young lady who desires a large family and we can produce as many little Zorks (patriots) as we can. Viva la USA.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #33  
I say go with your heart. If you and your wife want a child for all the right reasons, go for it. It doesn't matter what any of us say. I will say after 36, it starts getting really hard for a woman to have a child and risks go up. Do some research. My wife and I tried for 8 years, we are now pregnant with twins and expecting soon. We are both 45.
Best of luck to you.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #34  
I have not read all the other posts. If you and your wife want a child and her Dr says she is ok go for it. My wife and I had our second daughter in March. My oldest was 11. I am 39 and my wife is 36. This was not a planned pregnancy but none the less a true blessing. I will add that chasing a baby at 40 is more tiring than it was in my late twenties. I know I will have to work a few extra years but that is ok. Children are a blessing from God and should always be thought of as such even when they try our patience.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #35  
I am 60 odd and have fostered my grandson who is an orphan.

Its ok but hard to keep up with a lad of 14 and he dont want grandparents takin him clothes shoppin etc so the age difference does matter, also he will have to fend for himself soon as he is 18 as we cant afford to keep him as we cant earn at our age, no jobs for young ones let alone us.

Thing is ,, is it fair on the child:)

At age 62 with a live in 15 yo grandson for the last 13 years I agree completely. Children raised by grandparents miss a full generation of life experience. Unless you hang with the 20-something crowd the child will miss the inter-parent experiences. While you may be better off monetarily & spiritually there's still a lot left. If you need a child to fill your life, examine that. If you choose to go ahead I wish you the best. MikeD74t

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs
Well
I'm impressed by the thoughts both for and against having a child. We have been pondering this for awhile and have gone over the situation of age now and the future.As far as do we want a child, we have both said if we were 10 yrs younger it would be a no brainer. Given our advanced age (wife really disliked being refered to as a older mother LOL) we are really looking at the pros/cons not only for us but for a child. We are both educated and wifey is a kindergarden teacher, I work from home as a Medical Equipment Service Engineer. We are finacially stable with as much job sercurity as you can have these days. We appreciate all the comments generated here thanks everyone. Merry Christmas

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #37  
I do not have a child that has a medical condition of which I am going to make the following observations.
There appears to be a relationship between an Older mother or Father and Down Syndrome. Of the parents I have seen this is what I have noticed. I am not an expert in any way.
If the child was born with a medical condition that required parental assistance and the
child ages along with the parents, the parents are not able to outlive the weakened child.
The parents watch and love the child but they can not protect the child until the childs natural passing.
The child then becomes a ward of the state.
We had a family great aunt that became a ward of the goverment back when there was no cure / medication for epilispy.
She passed away in a very clean goverment home, she never understood the outside world.

Craig Clayton

I am the father of a 9 year old autistic boy. My wife and I got married right out of high school and it took us 10 years for her to get pregnant with him. Right now, I'm 39 and she is 38. I wonder daily what is going to happen with our son when we pass. We weren't old when she got pregnant, but never in a million years would I have thought I would be the parent of a special needs child. He is such a wonderful boy, but he will never be able to function on his own as an adult. Given that older people having children are at higher risk for complications (whatever they may be), you may want to give this some thought.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #38  
Well
I'm impressed by the thoughts both for and against having a child. We have been pondering this for awhile and have gone over the situation of age now and the future.As far as do we want a child, we have both said if we were 10 yrs younger it would be a no brainer. Given our advanced age (wife really disliked being refered to as a older mother LOL) we are really looking at the pros/cons not only for us but for a child. We are both educated and wifey is a kindergarden teacher, I work from home as a Medical Equipment Service Engineer. We are finacially stable with as much job sercurity as you can have these days. We appreciate all the comments generated here thanks everyone. Merry Christmas

If you're gonna do it, ya better get at it with out much more delay :)

The financial stability is a big piece of the puzzle, if you can afford it, and the child is provided for, then that makes it easier for outsiders to approve.

Look at these rich guys like Larry King etc. no one is criticizing him for have kids at his age, they are high fiving him.

Of course the man can have kids til he keels over, the physical condition and age of the woman is the deciding factor.

JB.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #39  
Go for it. I would start with saying go see a reproductive endocrinologist. The amount of eggs a woman has is not unlimited. There are also hormones that decline, you may need to do ai, or an ivf. She may need to take daily shots (or pills) of pregestrone too.
We had to go through all of it and more to have our little one. The doctor we saw
Dr. Check at the IVF, In-Vitro Fertilization, Infertility, Endometriosis in NY, NJ, PA, TX actually was able to help us. I can honestly say the man is one of my heros. We did not have age against us, just some infertiltiy issues.
By going through a reproductive endocrinologist they can also test you for genetic issues, and can give more advice then any of us here.
Good luck.

/ thinking of having a child @ 48/42 yrs #40  
Look at these rich guys like Larry King etc. no one is criticizing him for have kids at his age, they are high fiving him.

Speak for yourself.

Wonderful society where it wouldn't surprise me that some women have children of wealthy men so they know they'll get a paycheck.

One reason why I married my wife was for the fact that she didn't feel like not having children was the end of the world.