Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers...

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #1  

willt1981

I've been thinking of trading my NH TN60A for a NH T4.75 or a John Deere 5075E. I've heard from two New Holland dealers. One offered me 12,000 and one 10,000. I haven't heard from the Deere dealer yet. My tractor has 4600 hours on it, a Woods loader and needs front tires. It's mechanically sound however.

Am I way off base or are these offers insulting? I was looking at upgrading my Ford 3600 this summer and 40-60 hp 2WD tractors with no loaders from the late 90's were in the 10-13k range. I just have a hard time believing my tractor is worth that little. Feel free to set me straight.

With these new tractors costing over 40k I'm inclined to run mine as long as humanly possible. A rebuild of something sounds pretty cheap compared to 30k in payments.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #2  
With your hours, the trade-in price seems reasonable depending on part of country. Unless you desperately need something the new tractors have, plan on keeping yours.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #3  
The hours are up there, but it should have plenty of life in it--just might be a tough sell for a dealer. Like a car, you'd do a lot better on a private sale than a trade-in.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #4  
I've been thinking of trading my NH TN60A for a NH T4.75 or a John Deere 5075E. I've heard from two New Holland dealers. One offered me 12,000 and one 10,000. I haven't heard from the Deere dealer yet. My tractor has 4600 hours on it, a Woods loader and needs front tires. It's mechanically sound however.

Am I way off base or are these offers insulting? I was looking at upgrading my Ford 3600 this summer and 40-60 hp 2WD tractors with no loaders from the late 90's were in the 10-13k range. <snip>
Were those 10-13K prices "sold" or "asking"?
4,600 is getting up there, front tires would be $500 or more and the dealer needs to make money.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers...
Were those 10-13K prices "sold" or "asking"?
4,600 is getting up there, front tires would be $500 or more and the dealer needs to make money.

Those were asking prices but that was over a huge sample range of local dealers, cragslist posts, and private parties in newspapers.

Is 4600 hours really THAT many hours? One thing I have noticed about this tractor is that the hours go up no matter what the rpms. If it idles for an hour it puts on an hour. If I mow at 540 PTO (2200 rpm) for an hour it puts on an hour. Seems like that hour mowing is much more wear than the hour idling. I'd say 95% of my work with this tractor has been below at low RPMs.

The lowest I've seen a full size ag 4WD with a loader sell for in my area was a 1994 Ford 5030. The tach had quit working at 9200 hours around 2003 and it gave new meaning to the phrase "beat to ****". It had been used to log for a good part of its life. It sold in 2010 for $16,000 at an auction. Maybe the private sale made the difference.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #6  
If you want to change tractors, get a good firm quote with no trade-in on a new tractor first. Then see what you can sell your tractor for, I'd bet it's near 20K or so. Then take that money and put a nice down payment on a new tractor. You'll end up paying less for the new one than on a trade in.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #7  
Those sound like perfect reasonable offers for a trade in. If you want the maximum value, sell it yourself. You can't expect a dealership to do all the dirty work for nothing.

If you want to change tractors, get a good firm quote with no trade-in on a new tractor first. Then see what you can sell your tractor for, I'd bet it's near 20K or so. Then take that money and put a nice down payment on a new tractor. You'll end up paying less for the new one than on a trade in.

I think I've decided to keep running mine and maybe sell it myself after a while. I was thinking that around 20k was what I should get. I'm okay with the dealer making some cash on the deal but 8-10k is more than I'm willing to give them.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #9  
I think I've decided to keep running mine and maybe sell it myself after a while. I was thinking that around 20k was what I should get. I'm okay with the dealer making some cash on the deal but 8-10k is more than I'm willing to give them.
Have you checked Tractorhouse? Once you do, I think you may have a different viewpoint. It’s going to be hard to get that price out of a tractor with that many hours, when there are so many available with FAR less hours and for less money.

Have you checked Tractorhouse? Once you do, I think you may have a different viewpoint. It’s going to be hard to get that price out of a tractor with that many hours, when there are so many available with FAR less hours and for less money.

As far as my model goes (TN60A) on Tractorhouse :

The one 4WD with a loader is listed for $23,500.

Two 4WDs with no loader are $19,900 and $18,900.

2WDs with loaders are $18,900; $18,500; $21,000

2WD with no loader are $18,200; $16,900; $15,500; $12,500.

There is one 2WD with no loader for $11,500 but it says "no PTO". (Wonder how you do that?)

Again, these are asking prices and these are lower hours but I'm not willing to concede mine is worth 10-12k yet.