Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers...

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #11  
So, put those needed new front tires on it (sounds like someone will be, no matter what) clean it up and see what you can sell it for. Craig's list is free, and a good place to start. There are classifieds here on TbN, also free. 4600 hours is borderline in my opinion- maybe not worn out, but well on its way.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #12  
Those were asking prices but that was over a huge sample range of local dealers, cragslist posts, and private parties in newspapers.

Is 4600 hours really THAT many hours? One thing I have noticed about this tractor is that the hours go up no matter what the rpms. If it idles for an hour it puts on an hour. If I mow at 540 PTO (2200 rpm) for an hour it puts on an hour. Seems like that hour mowing is much more wear than the hour idling. I'd say 95% of my work with this tractor has been below at low RPMs.

The lowest I've seen a full size ag 4WD with a loader sell for in my area was a 1994 Ford 5030. The tach had quit working at 9200 hours around 2003 and it gave new meaning to the phrase "beat to ****". It had been used to log for a good part of its life. It sold in 2010 for $16,000 at an auction. Maybe the private sale made the difference.
My M4700 is older (1995) but 50HP with 1400+ hrs and I got it for $11.5 at auction.
8x6SAM_0797.jpg
It needed, and got, new fronts and several hoses. The hour meter issue is tractor specific, some tractors change hours whenever the key is in, mine are PTO speed based. It seems MOST people on TBN do not use their tractors for WORK and rarely put on more than 200 hours a year. 4600 hours over 8 years means you got almost 600 hours seat time every year. Mine has been used about 70 hours a year on the average.

I think I've decided to keep running mine and maybe sell it myself after a while. I was thinking that around 20k was what I should get. I'm okay with the dealer making some cash on the deal but 8-10k is more than I'm willing to give them.

Good idea. Selling now thru March prices seem to be lower.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers...
[/QUOTE] The hour meter issue is tractor specific, some tractors change hours whenever the key is in, mine are PTO speed based.[/QUOTE]

It seems silly to me that the business treats all hours the same if they are registered differently on the tractor. I had a Kubota MX5000 for four years that I traded for this New Holland (and was given 17K for by the way). It was worked the same way as my New Holland and when it was sold it had 900 hours on it. So, assuming I'm doing nothing differently, my TN60A would read 1800 hours with a Kubota tach in it. Hard to compare wear between tractors with that going on.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #14  
As far as my model goes (TN60A) on Tractorhouse :

The one 4WD with a loader is listed for $23,500.

Two 4WDs with no loader are $19,900 and $18,900.

2WDs with loaders are $18,900; $18,500; $21,000

2WD with no loader are $18,200; $16,900; $15,500; $12,500.

There is one 2WD with no loader for $11,500 but it says "no PTO". (Wonder how you do that?)

Again, these are asking prices and these are lower hours but I'm not willing to concede mine is worth 10-12k yet.

I'm not saying it is, but just saying you probably won't get $20k. And you forgot to mention the hours on those tractors, I didn't see one over 1500 hours. Like it or not, 4600 is a lot of hours on a tractor that young and will scare some people off. Since those are dealer asking prices, they'll likely haggle some, and buying from a dealer is worth more to most people than buying from an individual. My opinion only, the $12k offer was very fair, the $10k was on the low side. But neither were "insulting".

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #15  
I do think it is the hours that are killing the trade value. Just like a good pickup truck, if it has 75k miles it is worth a lot more than 175k miles. Both have life left in them, but one is twice as desirable. As a dealer, we do find that there are some folks (rare) that simply do not care about hours. But generally that is for an older cheaper tractor that the guy intends to use for 50 hours a year mowing a small pasture. If it starts reliably, he's happy. When a tractor gets up near $20k in value, it is a different story.

I am surprised that your hour meter runs like a Hobbs meter. Most agricultural tractors are based on PTO speeds. Most construction equipment registers an hour every time the key is on and the unit is running.

I think you are looking for top retail value. Nothing wrong with that. Install new tires, spiffy it up and advertise it. If it does not sell, you still have a good tractor to use.

I do think it is the hours that are killing the trade value. Just like a good pickup truck, if it has 75k miles it is worth a lot more than 175k miles. Both have life left in them, but one is twice as desirable. As a dealer, we do find that there are some folks (rare) that simply do not care about hours. But generally that is for an older cheaper tractor that the guy intends to use for 50 hours a year mowing a small pasture. If it starts reliably, he's happy. When a tractor gets up near $20k in value, it is a different story.

I am surprised that your hour meter runs like a Hobbs meter. Most agricultural tractors are based on PTO speeds. Most construction equipment registers an hour every time the key is on and the unit is running.

I think you are looking for top retail value. Nothing wrong with that. Install new tires, spiffy it up and advertise it. If it does not sell, you still have a good tractor to use.

I guess I am looking for retail value. I think I was ruined by the Kubota I traded in for this tractor. I bought a new MX5000 in 2003 for 20k. I ran it for four years, had a lot of trouble out of it, and traded it for this New Holland for 17k. It was pretty banged up (my Dad did the quick attach on the loader wrong one day and dropped forks on the hood - not good). The dealer actually bought the tractor sight unseen. I wish they were still around but the owner died a few years ago. This is my only experience with trading tractors and I assumed that to make a sale on a new tractor dealers would give you very close to retail. I guess I should view the current offers on my New Holland as normal and my Kubota trade in as a stoke of luck.

The hour meter thing is weird. I noticed it with this tractor within a few months of buying it. A lot of my work is woodlot based (timber and firewood) and vegetable farming. Basically, low RPM stuff. I do put up around 30 acres of hay which is the only 540 pto stuff I do. It's so easy for someone to change instrument gauges in a machine I never put all that much stock in hours. I have a 1979 3600 that has "136" hours on it. The tach broke last summer and I got a new one. I have no idea how many hours it has and don't really care. It runs well and gets the job done. I bought it not knowing the hours and would do it again.

Who knows which tractors have had tachs replaced? I could replace mine on the New Holland and next year have a 700 hour machine. With the condition and year of the tractor it wouldn't look odd. I wouldn't because I want to know what I really have and I want someone buying it to know what they are getting. I guess my point is that I think everyone is putting a little too much stock in their hour meters.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #17  
Who knows which tractors have had tachs replaced? I could replace mine on the New Holland and next year have a 700 hour machine. With the condition and year of the tractor it wouldn't look odd. I wouldn't because I want to know what I really have and I want someone buying it to know what they are getting. I guess my point is that I think everyone is putting a little too much stock in their hour meters.[/QUOTE]

Your statement about the tractor passing for a 700 hour machine is important: it must look pretty good, and not like a beat up high hour workhorse. That would make a difference, for sure!

Just heard from the John Deere dealer. His offer was $15,100. They must need to move Deeres more.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #19  
Just heard from the John Deere dealer. His offer was $15,100. They must need to move Deeres more.

Or they have the new tractor marked way up at MSRP.

If the JD you are looking at is priced competitively, that is a strong trade-in offer.

/ Thinking of Trading 2007 NH TN60A - until I heard the price offers... #20  
That’s a fantastic offer. I’d be over this afternoon (assuming his price on the new one isn't inflated to compensate).