This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #2  
It happens all the time. Elderly couple perished in Death Valley, CA this year after running out of gas.
As a youth I was guilty of venturing off horseback with a little food and water never telling anybody how where in the wilderness I was going.
Luckily we never broke a leg or such out there.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #3  
I think about this and won't go into my woods on tractor to do work unless my wife is at home.
Won't go on my roof to blow leaves off either unless my wife is at home.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #4  
What a way to go for the old guy. OP's thread title was more helpful than anything in that stupid article.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #5  
When I was just out of high school, some friends and I went on a day canoe trip. One of us was diabetic, and he forgot to bring any food. Once he realized he was in trouble, we were about 2 hours from a car or phone. I made him lie down in the canoe and paddled for all I was worth. I had food in the car and we got him stabilized fortunately. But things can go south pretty quick through your own fault, or, no fault of your own.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back
One reason I stopped working for myself was because I would leave town on a Monday for some other state, and not be seen for weeks at a time. Even if somebody wondered where I was, they had no way of knowing where to look, who to contact or even who I was working for. I miss those days for the independence and the money, as well as seeing new places and meeting new people; yet it was just a matter of time before it caught up to me.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #7  
We used to wander into the woods, sometimes staying overnight when we were kids.
The forest is about 10,000 acres and surrounded by open space and farms.
Luckily none of us ever got seriously hurt.

No one out side of us knew where we were, lots of trails, many old logging paths etc.
We never seemed to get too lost though, even though we would be many miles in.

Miss that. Where I am now only a few hundred yards from another house.
No cell phones back then, probably no signal there even today.

The locals all went out in groups.

I work alone a lot, but always carry my phone and try to do a lot of it when I know someone will be around or my neighbors are home.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #8  
There were no cell phones when I was young. I traveled across the US 3 times alone visiting parks, camping out, days and days of zero contact with friends and family... we didn't know we were in danger in those days... heck a stranger would help a fellow man back then. Today I won't go to town without a phone. Sheesh

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #9  
We hitchhiked from Boston back to my uncles once. That's most of MA lengthwise.
Never had an issue, was a great adventure.
Wouldn't try that on a bet today, even if armed and in a group....

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back
There were no cell phones when I was young. I traveled across the US 3 times alone visiting parks, camping out, days and days of zero contact with friends and family... we didn't know we were in danger in those days... heck a stranger would help a fellow man back then. Today I won't go to town without a phone. Sheesh
We've tried many different emergency devices over the years. Most of them turned out to be gimmicks. At one time we were issued Emergency Locator devices which were supposed to notify NOAA if they were activated. One day a coworker received an email from that entity stating that they had gotten an SOS from his device the previous week, and asked if he was OK. Needless to say, we abandoned them.

Everybody since has been issued an InReach. They have some short comings, such as needing a clear shot to a satellite to work. However, at least it's something. At the end of the day though, the biggest safety device is stored right under your hat. About 20 years ago I was first on the scene after a hiker had fallen 100 feet onto the ice. When I got there it was obvious he had passed away; it took me the longest time to realize that was because he'd stopped bleeding. That experience really made me think, going forward. If I was trying to do something a bit risky his face would appear before me, and I would think "I guess that I will try another way."

It's easy to say "it'll never happen to me", yet there have been many people disappear over the years, never to be found again.