This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #21  
(FamilySearch blog)

What Was It Like 100 Years Ago Today?​

By Amie Tennant
March 31, 2020

100-years-ago-today

What was life like in the United States 100 years ago today? The year 1920 ushered in a new decade and brought new innovations and a life of abundance. Let’s take a trip to the past and see what life was like for your ancestors 100 years ago today!

Life Expectancy Was Shorter​

In the United States, the life expectancy for men in 1920 was around 53.6 years. For women, it was 54.6 years. If you compare that number to today’s average life expectancy of 78.93 years, you can see just how much better we are doing! The main causes of death in 1920 were heart disease, pneumonia, and tuberculosis.

So men's life expectancy 100 yrs ago was 53.6, women 54.6. their pandemic was far more pernicious & deadly than ours from the death count. We're pretty lucky @ around 78yrs life span currently (yes, it has been revised lower in the past few yrs) But still, a huge gap.

Add that to the multi layered personal safety technology described in this post...we are extremely fortunate. So most of our safety liability is personal negligence i would think.

I certainly am guilty of working alone w/o anything sometimes out at my remote place
Safety is nearly always about making right choices, & at least presently we have increased life span & personal safety technology if we choose. Seems to me, we're in pretty good shape compared to old times...
most of us would not even be talking on the forum given conditions 100 yrs ago... me thinks a good time to give thanks, most importantly to yourself if you're using the safety protocol described in the above posts...

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #23  
Before i got married, i used to do mineral surveys for mining companies. Basically walking around in the middle of nowhere, pick up samples. Every couples weeks, i'd walk back to the "base camp" and meet to transfer samples and pick up groceries. Very primitive living. Sleep on ground with tarp and bag, cook food on fire. Season was depending on how much snow was on the ground in the spring, and when it started snowing if the fall.

Pretty unlikely anybody would have found my body if i'd became disabled.

No way in heck i could do that now.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back
Before i got married, i used to do mineral surveys for mining companies. Basically walking around in the middle of nowhere, pick up samples. Every couples weeks, i'd walk back to the "base camp" and meet to transfer samples and pick up groceries. Very primitive living. Sleep on ground with tarp and bag, cook food on fire. Season was depending on how much snow was on the ground in the spring, and when it started snowing if the fall.

I've read a few books over the years about people getting lost in the wilderness. It's pretty surprising how many people have never been found, and how quickly they disappeared after leaving a hiking party.

There was a German (?) party out west which disappeared a decade or so ago and nobody even noticed they were gone. I believe that their vehicle got stuck or was disabled in the desert so they started hiking. About 10 years later somebody came across a child's remains yet it was so far from nowhere that just performing a search was a challenge.

It was a topic of discussion on this site a while back.

Last edited:
   / This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #25  

But wasn't that one of the best times in your life? :cool:

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #26  
19860329_0012_OH_standingstonetunnel.jpg
19860329_0015_OH_standingstonetunnel.jpg

Used to go down in woods and thru this old half fallen in train tunnel as kids, never told parents where we were most the time. The ends eventually caved in shut.

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #27  
When I was 20 yrs old, I went for a hike in the woods in Oregon, I didnt return for 2 weeks, it was supposed to be for 1 night.
All I had was my sleeping bag, 2 cans of sardines, knife, tarp, and my trusty 22 rifle. I found an old abandoned mine that was pretty cool inside with the rails and carts.
I ate real good, grouse, and some trout from a lake. I even returned with the 2 cans of sardines unopened.
Luckily I was on vacation from work at the time...

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #28  
   / This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #29  
My mom rode on a train thru that tunnel when she was a girl.
This is same end of the tunnel.
IMG_7777.JPG

/ This is from Australia...always let somebody know where you are going and when you expect to be back #30  
Wow! (y)

Nice to have a family attachment to the story.