Thoughts on Ford 861

/ Thoughts on Ford 861 #11  
I'd probably leave them turf tires on for that. I don't mow with mine and do some heavy hauling and garden work so ag tires are needed here. Good luck with it. Great tractor.

/ Thoughts on Ford 861 #12  
yep.. if it's enought traction.. it's cheaper to leaver on :)

/ Thoughts on Ford 861 #13  
Given your tasks lists that tractor should live forever. Mine was used to mow and bale 70 acres for over 40 years. She was my uncle's first tractor and got used for everything. Still runs great but I am using it as a back up tractor. She has earned the right to have a bit of a break.

/ Thoughts on Ford 861
Thanks for all the info! Going to change fluids next weekend. Looking forward to doing some road grading!

/ Thoughts on Ford 861 #15  
deffinately going to be a decent style tractor to work with.

/ Thoughts on Ford 861
Hi!

Used the old girl yesterday for road grading and all is well. Could tell climbing the hills the governor opened the throttle, but it never opened it all the way. So power in reserve!

Got a new 5' rotary mower and got that all set up. Had some trouble getting the 3 point to carry the mower where we wanted until we moved the top link to the upper hole on the tractor.

The fuel gauge does not work, broken wire. When I hooked a wire from the sender to the gauge, it pegged the gauge on stop on the empty side. Bad sender?

The temp gauge does not work. Should I replace the gauge and bulb assembly? Or just the bulb?

Soundguy...there was no side to side play in the pto, and just the slightest bit of in and out play.maybe 1/32"?

The rest-o-ride must be done resting...pretty soft. Think I will have to get new bushings for that.

All in all, I am very pleased with the old dear. Some things to fix and maintain, but nothing major.

Your thoughts on the fuel gauge and temp gauge would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris

/ Thoughts on Ford 861
Ok...now I did it...went to put the new exhaust elbow on because old one was cracked all around. Got it off and put the new one one. Someone had converted the exhaust to a vertical. The muffler and stack pipe were fused together, so took off the bracket from the block, and took the assembly off. Got the broken part of the elbow off the muffler and new elbow bolted on the manifold. Went to put the muffler/stack assembly on and would not go on elbow. Inlet on muffler was deformed. Tried to straighten it out the inlet and flare it a bit. Got it started on elbow, but could not get the stack to clear the headlight. About 2" shy of being fully seated on elbow. Thought, "no problem, I can tap it on with a little help from a hammer".

You know where this is going...

Now I need a new manifold. Gonna get a new muffler also.

Got any places you guys recommend to buy parts? There a quite a few, but though I would see what you guys usually use for a source.

Anything I should be aware of when replacing the manifold? I know to use brass nuts, but anything else?

Thanks!
Chris

/ Thoughts on Ford 861 #19  
New elbows are actually a slightly larger diameter for some reason. Same thing a 2000 my son is working on.

/ Thoughts on Ford 861 #20  
temp gauge and buld is an assy. can't replace them individually. at least not the mechanical ones. keep an eye on that thrust play. it should have 0 ideally. if it hit 1/16 i'd pull the pto..

is she on 12v?