Thoughts on Kubota M9000

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Not long ago I posted a thread about getting a bigger tractor to go with my Kubota L4400. I want a pre-emissions tractor with at least 60hp. 4wd. Loader. No cab.

I found a Kubota M7040 locally. Beat up all over but mechanically sound. 1500 hours. $28,500. Dealer came down to $27,500 but I just could not pull the trigger as bad as that machine looked. Someone bought it shortly after that.

Now the same guy has a Kubota M9000. 2300 hours. I have not seen it in person but looks rode hard in the pictures. Asking $23,500. I'll stop buy and kick the tires and drive it on Friday.

I'm just looking for thoughts on this model. It is 4wd, hydraulic shuttle shift, canopy, no cab. Any known issues with this model? Any quirks I need to know about? I did notice that the loader framework is different from most later tractors. There is larger bracing along the sides of the tractor as well as a bar across the hood just in front of the dashboard. Any limitations to this older framwork design? I'm assuming the loader is removable?

Any advice appreciated.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000
Yes.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #4  
Good:
2274 hours are low for age.
Has a hydraulic reverser, thats a plus over the mechanical dry clutch.
Rear tires look good
Has loader with bucket and bale spear.

Bad;
Cosmetically aged and uncared for. Will that translate to uncared for maintenance?
Operator station area and some other spots taking on some rust.
8 speed transmission would be less than desirable to bale hay with (if thats what youre using it for). 16 speed much better for that work. (May not be important to you).
Front tires worn.
No cast rims or wheel weights, light in rear for loader work (tires may be filled)
Some loader hydraulic hoses are cracked.

As with all check for leaks at seals, discolored smoke, proper transmission & range engagement, steering, unusual sounds, electrical system problems

The 8 speed transmission is no problem for me. No hay baling. Most of what I'm looking for in a larger tractor is higher lifting capacity of the loader (compared to my 4400) and three point.

Already assumed front tire replacement. All fluids and filters too of course. The two together is no small expense. Replacing hoses is another expense but not difficult. Exhaust stack looks bent and replaced.

Would fill rear tires if not already filled. Another expense but not necessarily a big one.

In my limited used tractor shopping it seems like they always look worse in person than in pictures so this one might be a real dog. I do not know the model year. I think the M9000 range was 1997 to 2006 or something like that. $23,500 is a bitter pill for a machine like this but even at these inflated prices pre-emissions tractors don't hang around long.

Maintenance history is another issue. When I asked about the maintenance history on the M7040 he had he acted like that was not a thing. I'm new to the used tractor market so maybe no one keeps records on their machines. I do.

Another question. On the rear of this tractor just above and to the right of the PTO shaft there is hydraulic hose and a hydraulic connector. Looks like the hose goes forward. Any idea what that is?

Also, it has a fire extinguisher, what looks like a back-up beeper and unit numbers on it. I wonder if this was a DOT or fleet type unit.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #7  
Last edited:
   / Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #8  
If it's the one Hay Dude posted up, that is the stock loader.

Rubber looks good, it has no PTO shield on the back and the right tail light assemble is broken (and they are expensive to replace).

The cross bar in front of the dash is stock, I use mine when I dismount the tractor, makes a nice handhold. Loaders are easy to mount and dismount too. (I know, I have 2 of them).

Only known issue is they have a weak PTO brake and need an over running coupler. Easy too find out if the pto brake is shot, take a rag with the tractor off and the pto disengaged and try to turn the stub. If the brake is ok, the stub will rotate about 45 degrees and come up against a hard stop. If it's shot it will rotate with no resistance.

Now the bad news. if it is shot, the only fix is splitting the tractor to replace the pto brake as access is only through the front of the gearbox.

The hydraulic shuttles are mostly bulletproof. I have 6000+ hours on my open station and 2000+ hours on my cab unit. Never had an issue with the hydraulic shuttle on either. My cab unit has a 2 speed (540-1000) pto and the extra gear set in the transmission as well.

Both mine have cast centers on the rear wheels (don't require filled tires).

I will say I paid $16K for my open station 2 years ago but my dealer offered me 30 for it. Not for sale. It's putting out 92 at the pto btw, had my dealer run the overhead and dyno it.

I realize that pre 4 tractors aren't built anymore and what there is, is all there is so as they get sold (or kept), the field is getting smaller and smaller and the prices are increasing.

Bought the cab tractor new in 2004. it's been 100% issue free, so has the open station tractor.

Cab tractor is at my dealer's presently getting a tune up (valve adjustment and injector pop test) and will get run on the dyno too.

If you decide to purchase it, I'd do a complete fluid and filter change immediately (air filter too). I use Kubota filters in both and the cab tractor gets Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic and the open station gets Rotella AW hydraulic fluid. I use the Chevron THC Synthetic in the cab M9 because it gets winter duty lowing snow and the Chevron has really good cold flow ability.

In my opinion, 23 is a bit steep but like I said, the field is getting smaller and smaller every day so the prices are increasing.

The VT engine in the M9's are basically bulletproof so long as they are maintained properly. They hold just under 15 gallons of fluid in the gearbox and about 5 quarts of 90 weight gear oil in the front axle and outboards.

I run hay with mine which is why I have the optional gears in the gearbox of the cab tractor.

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I have no idea who owned it. I thought that stuff on the rear axle was long grass but it might be baler twine. I think if it was an ag tractor it must have been part of a large operation since it has number decals on it.

@5030 Thanks for the tip on the PTO brake. Will check that out.

I probably will not bite on this unit.

It is just my nature to be willing to pay a premium for something in good shape than pay less, but probably too much, for one that looks so beat up.

There are several M7040s on Tractor House that cost a lot more but are lower in hours and look much better. Unfortunately they are many miles away.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #10  
The is no clutch in the bellhousing, only a spring loaded damper plate which was the main reason I bought my first one. I'm not fond of dry clutches and they all need replaced at some point. With the hydraulic shuttle, unless the travelling wet pack has really been abused, there is no replacement and the hydraulic shuttle modulates itself, it's load sensing so it senses the load on the loader or whatever and modulates itself for smooth starts and directional changes. Pretty neat setup actually.