Thoughts on our house plans, please?

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #41  
Nathan...Just take a look at the very long posts some of these fine fellas have posted here.. That took a lot of thinking and effort, it means they really want to help you to take that much of their time...I would take advantage of the help and get rid of the pride of ownership or design thing and you will tap into decades of experience....guys that have done that and been there many times and don't want to see your make the mistakes they have seen before...Best of luck.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #42  
I didnt take the time to read all of the responses but I'll offer my :2cents: so I apologize if it has been said already.

First and formost, it has to be what YOU want and what YOU like. Thats why everyhouse is different. Because everyone has different tastes.

That said, I like simple. Simple is easier, cheaper, and less to go wrong. Example, you have a TON of corners and TON of roof lines. I know they add to the curb appeal. But in reality, it drives the cost per square foot up bigtime, and thats just all the more places for problems or leaks.

I would also consider wrapping the deck/porch all the way around to the sunroom. Just would be my preference.

The third bay in the garage...Why is it shorther??? Thats less garage space, and since that creates 3 corners instead of just one, will likely cost a good bit more too. Who likes paying more and getting less??

Final note...Make the basement pleanty high. A few extra rows of block is not going to cost much in the grand scheme of things. But will make it so much nicer whenever you finish the basement when dealing with carrier beams, duct work, plumbing, etc.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #43  
Here's some more opinion. My first impression was a very attractive house. However, when I started looking at the plans, everything seemed a little tight for the overall square footage. I'm not an architect, but a lot of the rooms seem a little too small to be comfortable, in spite of the overall size of the house. I think you need to talk to an architect or at least an experienced builder to see how to better utilize the space.

I've helped build houses and renovated several, but never designed my own. My current house has about 4500 square feet of finished space on three levels. It's way to big for me at this point in my life but I love it. Big houses are great but you need to get your money's worth. Here are some things I've figured out.

Eliminate "pinch points" where the design and furniture will make a narrow space. If you have a small space, open it up with french doors, double pocket doors, etc.

Simplify the roof and house plan. My Tudor style is effectively a big box but with the brick/half timber and dormers, as well as a couple of offsets, it doesn't look plain. However, it has a minimum exterior surface area and roof surface.

Two stories are definitely cheaper to build, cheaper to heat and cool, etc. The cost of the stairs is dwarfed by the savings of cutting the foundation and roof structure costs in half for the same floor area. The first floor bedroom is a great idea for future lifestyle changes.

The primary laundry room should be on the second floor. Once you have an upstairs laundry you can't do without it. My current house has two laundry rooms, one on the second floor and one on the first floor where we come in from the deck and pool.

Suggestion of basement with a high ceiling is very good. Mine is only 8 feet and 10 would have been much better when I added a big screen media room. If necessary, look at designs that raise the whole house.

I had a house with wraparound porches in a heavily wooded area. I loved the porches, I could sit out there all day. However, we finally sold it and moved because we got tired of the lack of natural light. It's a mixed blessing.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #44  
I didnt take the time to read all of the responses but I'll offer my :2cents: so I apologize if it has been said already.

I think in threads like this, repeating what others have said is a good thing since it shows that there is some agreement on certain ideas.

Skipping some good ideas that were said before but bare repeating. :D

Final note...Make the basement pleanty high. A few extra rows of block is not going to cost much in the grand scheme of things. But will make it so much nicer whenever you finish the basement when dealing with carrier beams, duct work, plumbing, etc.

This is very good advice which I don't think has been stated before. VERY good advice.

It also reminds me of our ceiling height which is 10 feet. We went tall because we wanted to use the tallest windows sizes from the supplier but keep the bottom of the window at 30-32 inches from the floor. This caused us to go with 10 foot tall ceilings. Tall ceilings is an old design point in old southern buildings to get the heat away from people. There are buildings in our town from the late 1800s/early 1900s that have as best I can tell 16 foot tall ceilings. They might be 14 feet but they look taller. This does work on keeping the heat away from people. This is good and bad. This works well during the summer but not so much in the winter. We have tried turning on the ceiling fans but the slight breeze negates any additional warming.

To match the scale of the ceiling height and windows we ended up putting in 3'x8' doors. Those puppies were not cheap. :eek: But they sure look good. :thumbsup:

We have ceiling fans in every room and the 10 foot ceilings does a decent job of hiding the fans. The fans are white and plain looking since we wanted the fans to blend in and not catch the eye. The ceilings are painted white as well. With the taller ceilings I don't hit the fans when carrying things around the house. However, the tall ceilings can be just a bit too tall to clean up spider webs without a ladder or foot stool.

I don't like lamps. Only one of the kids has a lamp in the room but they don't need a lamp. We put in 85ish recessed lights in the ceiling so we don't need no stinking lamps. :laughing: Some of these lights are on the porches so not all of them are inside but it is still lots of light cans. Every bedroom as four recessed lights plus the ceiling fan light. This makes for a very clean look we happen to like. We put in CFL lights, dont buy the Lowes branded junk bulbs, but the HD and GE CFLs have been fine. After 6-7 years we still have CFL lights that have not been changed.

Later,
Dan

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #45  

Two stories are definitely cheaper to build, cheaper to heat and cool, etc. The cost of the stairs is dwarfed by the savings of cutting the foundation and roof structure costs in half for the same floor area. The first floor bedroom is a great idea for future lifestyle changes.

The primary laundry room should be on the second floor. Once you have an upstairs laundry you can't do without it. My current house has two laundry rooms, one on the second floor and one on the first floor where we come in from the deck and pool.

Since the master was on the first floor I don't think it would be good to have the laundry room on the second floor since at some point that floor will not be as heavily used. If the master was on the second floor so should the laundry. I forgot to mention, that it would be a good idea to have a laundry chute from the second floor to the first.

I disagree that two stories are definitely cheaper to build. :D I think that two stories can be cheaper to build, if one compromises on the house design and room size.

I think one reason the OP's house has so many cut outs is trying to fit the top and bottom floor together. It is VERY hard, if not impossible, to build a two story house and not have to compromise on room sizes. If one is trying to minimize the cost of the house, that means the rooms sizes will have to shrink. I have done hundreds of house designs over the years, not built them mind you, but just designed them, and getting a first and second floor to match, with just the right room sizes, is impossible. You end up shrinking the rooms sizes to lower the price or you have to build larger than you want. It is just the way it works. Even on a single floor house this is true but for a two story house the problem is worse.

Here is an example. We have a walk in closet. It would be real nice if we had an extra 12 inches of space in two directions in that closet. Pushing the closet out one foot in two directions would require us to move two outside walls one foot. One of those walls is 32 feet long and the other is 55 feet. So to add a few feet in the closet we would add 87 SF to the house which would be $8,700 at $100/SF. If we had a two story house that extra space in the closet just cost $17,400. In our case, I was not willing to spend $8,700 for a few drawers in the closet since I can buy lots of very expensive furniture for that much money. :laughing: When designing a house you end up making these kind of decisions if you are paying attention. Unless you have Bill Gate's money. :D

In the OP's design he has two stairs. Only one is needed but even the needed stair is expensive. It looks to be taking up about 100 sf on both floors. At $100 a sf that is $10,000 for a stair. He also has a huge landing that is going to exist regardless of the second stair way which is costing another $7K. The very expensive roof design is because of the two story aspect of the house. The roof would be much simpler and cheaper on a single story house. I would bet that some of the smaller room sizes on the first floor are a result of not wanting/needing larger room sizes on the second floor. The bed rooms on the second floor are decent sized. Not too big and not too small. If the OP starts enlarging the rooms on the first floor then the rooms on the second floor are going to get larger. But the rooms are already about the right size so any additional space is wasted. It is also more money to build and maintain.

A second story house is also more expensive to put on the exterior siding whether it is brick, wood, vinyl, etc. If the siding requires painting that is a bigger expense over time due to the extra time it take to paint off the ground.

Our house does not have a basement and we did not want a crawl space. We have a finished colored concrete floor in the house which was pretty danged cheap. Our finished floor cost between $3-4 a SF including the concrete, concrete coloring, and gravel. I don't think we could build a finished second floor for $3-4 a SF.

A two story house can be cheaper but it can also be more expensive. It depends on land prices, materials, house design and how much one will compromise on the design.

To the OP, I would suggest pushing aside the CAD program for now. Get 1/4 grid paper and start designing a new house from what you have learned. Maybe wait a week or so to forget what you have done so you can get a somewhat new start. Not that what you did was "bad" but to see if you can work out something better, something different. With the grid paper have each square scale to 2 or 4 feet. Build on the grid, meaning no odd number of feet in the floor plan. This requires you to go a bit bigger but you are not drawing in wall thicknesses so in the end it kinda balances out. Working with grid paper and pencil is much faster than a CAD program. This allows one to prototype a design real quick which means you can toss the design if it is scat. Or say, hey, I like this in the design but not that, lets try a part of Design A with Design M.

We had dozens and dozens and dozens of designs on graph paper before I started on blueprints. I forget the number of versions I did on the blueprints but it was quite a few before we had The One.

Later,
Dan

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please?
OK, been busy the past couple of weeks, so sorry for letting my thread cool off. Anyway, I've combed through all of the (mostly) great posts, and written down a summary of the comments. FWIW, I tried to not include duplicates, but I did keep contradictory statements, because you have to admit, it's funny. Take dozens of people and there's always going to be ideas that are disagreed upon. Ultimately, though, we're building this for our own tastes. I've been thinking over the comments and believe me, lots of them are sticking. I'll post another draft when I can. Here is the summary:

TBN summary:
100-200+ per square foot
Study/guest too small (Murphy bed?)
Window sill height at deck too low?
Chase from basement to roof?
Back to back closets upstairs?
Simplify roof
Move fireplace to central location
Make entry way larger
Decrease overall size of house
Eliminate 1 or 2 stairwells/separate the 2 stairwells
Increase size of family room
Increase size and open up kitchen
Eliminate kitchen island
Increase size of master bedroom closet
Make entry way smaller
Remove shower from downstairs powder room
Eliminate Sun room or make it larger
Redo second floor or eliminate
Simplify roof
Place dishwasher on right-hand side
Attach laundry/mudroom to full bath
Over insulate
Reconsider a professional/architect
Consider location of downspouts
Make porch deeper
Make dining room larger
Make master bathroom shower smaller
Separate place/room for bathroom/make-up
Too many entrances to family room
Not enough room on island for three people to eat
Move fridge nearer to sink
Swap kitchen and dining room
Make roof smaller
Rearrange kitchen layout/work triangle
Move master closet to interior
Make powder room have water closet
Make second floor closets more square
Consider doors at top ad bottom of stairs
Don't place kids room over master bedroom
Add access to kitchen from garage
Eliminate/move front door?
Add indoor grill to fireplace
Eliminate indoor fireplace
Straighten exterior walls
Eliminate wrap around porch
Make kids rooms larger
Make pantry larger
Move/split study closet to storage for bathroom
No pedestal sinks
Add hallway sink
Place electrical outlet for Christmas tree
Label hose bibs/hydrants
Garage mixing faucet
Add dormer vents to 3D image
Add firewood storage
Stake out plan in yard to check flow
Move garage away from house
Make garage as large as possible
Improve layout efficiency
Scrap and start over
Make garage adjacent to house and use space above garage
Make house rectangular
Allow for plumbing and HVAC to be centrally located
Minimize stairs and hallways
Place windows to not limit room layout
Make windows in bedrooms large
Make bedrooms at least 12x12
Place furniture in rooms
Make closet in upstairs hall not a walkin
Replace fireplace with a wood stove, allow for combustion air
Make porches at least 8' wide
Make porches not as deep or eliminate for lighting
Make everything simpler
Extend wrap around porch to sunroom
Make 3 garage bays flush
Make basement ceiling high
Make rooms bigger and eliminate narrow areas
Keep second floor
Make ceiling heights/windows taller
Can lights instead of lamps

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #47  
Gocards,
You have obviously paid attention to people's comments. You also haven't appeared to take them personally. Your mature response shows you have a good head on your shoulders. I believe you will build a house of which you will be proud.

Another guy posted his house plans on TBN not very long ago. When people made suggestions, he got defensive, was too proud to accept constructive suggestions, got mad and abandoned his thread.

Obed

Obed,
Thanks for the encouragement. Perfection is unattainable, and I'm constantly reminded to stay humble. There's lot's of good advice among the posts in this thread. Like I said before, I can't build a house by committee - as evidenced by the contradictions. But as we're working through this I certainly like the idea of considering others' opinions. I think I remember the thread you're referring too. BTW, I've been reading through your "at home in the woods" thread off and on, today. I think I'm only to about post #60. It's a long thread! Love all the pictures. I hope to be able to post the same.
GoCards

I was able to take some time this afternoon start over again. Dmcarty, I agree with you about the grid paper. That's where we started months ago, and we like the overall layout, so it's going to be hard to move away from the general idea. Besides, it feelsfaster and easier to use the drafting program.

Anywho, considering things like room sizes, efficiency, cleaner exterior lines, and open layout, here's where I'm at so far. I like the arrangement of the entry, family room, dining, and kitchen. I also like making the sunroom into a screened-in porch instead and pulling it under the main roof.

I don't have a clear idea of the master suite nor the mudroom, yet. I intentionally left the garage separated from the house, but oriented and lined up in an "L" shape. Somehow there will be a mudroom/laundry that will connect the two.

We're going to try to stick with a 2-story. I spent a lot of time the past 2 days perusing E-plans and I have a concept in mind. Like one of you said, the second floor will depend on the first, so I'm working on it first.

BTW, ignore the dotted lines. They're put there by the program to calculate room sizes.
9-16-12.jpg

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #50  
I still don't understand why you don't find a set of house plans on line. The materials supplier and builer would all benefit from having a detailed listing of materials. There are thousands of house plans available online for a few hundred dollars.