Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #11  
I bought the Harbor Freight one for $19 right around Xmas and it is great. Added a room on and used it for all the trim, drywall cutouts, etc. Even cut a 1x12 with a bunch of weird angles and notches and I used it. Still working perfect. didn't know if I even wanted one so that is why I didn't buy a "good" one, but honestly I cant complain at all - if it burned up tomorrow it was worth it (then I may go buy a good one )

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools
well - i have had buyers remorse after reading some online comparisons, so HF variable speed is going back for a refund - IF i had bought the $24 HF one I would probably keep it, but at $50 its too much for me to want to take a chance on..

The Dremel/rockwell offer 2 yr warranties and the HF was 90 days.. I also have a $100 Lowes gift card that I can use..

Brian

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #13  
I have the dremel model from lowe's...

I love it.. Dry wall, nails when removing molding..... Cutting the spray foam!

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #14  
I have the rockwell, and love it. True about finding replacement sandpaper and heads at the big boxes is hard to do,.

I just buy full sheet sandpaper with the same hook and loop backing for my HF unit and then cut it to the right size with a razor knife.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #15  
I am looking at the handheld vibrating multi-tools - Rockwell, dremil, Fein, and Harbor Freight have them.. It appears that you can sand, cut metal/wood/plastic, and scrape; using the correct blade of course

who has one.. did you like it.. is it worth it..

My current usage is cutting the bottom of wallboard just a tad for hardwood flooring installation but I think it would also do well scraping the MMM deck..

HF has one theirs on sale ($24 constant speed and $49 for variable speed) right now.. Lowes has the Rockwell for ~$90 (21 piece kit) -

Thoughts on your use? disadvantages??

brian

This is one of those tools that makes me say, How did I ever get along without it"! I have 3 now. I love them!

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #16  
This is one of those tools that makes me say, How did I ever get along without it"! I have 3 now. I love them!

Tulenutn2o - I agree!!!! Used it again last night after I replied to this thread

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #17  
{Dremel/rockwell offer 2 yr warranties} how about the lifetime warranty from ridgid?? and now some hitachi tools...the hitachi is sold at lowes, the ridgid at HD.
heehaw

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #18  
I've been thinking about 1 of these as well. Got an ad from HF . variable speed for 59.99. Looked on line and the same tool is 49.99. I wonder if the store will match the net price or should I even bother with the HF brand ?

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #19  
I also have the Fein which is really an excellent tool. The problem is the cost of Fein replacement blades which are basically a rip off even though they are made of high quality steel etc. There is now an adapter that allows you to use the less expensive replacement blades made by other companies and I may pick that up.

I got mine before Rockwell, Dremel or HF came out with copies. If I were to do it again today I'd get the Rockwell as I am an amateur and cannot really justify the Fein at more than twice the cost but if I were a pro I'd still get the Fein. I've looked at the HF and it is pretty clearly a grade or two below the Rockwell in quality. I'm sure the HF tool works but the Rockwell 40 something piece kit at $125 from Costco looks like the best bang for the buck.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #20  
does the rockwell 40 pc kit include all the cutting blades ? With the cutting blades (11 is what they show ) the total HF price is 138.00

EDIT: I looked up rockwell. They offer several kits with all types of cutters

Last edited: