Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #21  
does the rockwell 40 pc kit include all the cutting blades ? With the cutting blades (11 is what they show ) the total HF price is 138.00

EDIT: I looked up rockwell. They offer several kits with all types of cutters

If I recall correctly, the one being sold now at Costco has at least one of all the cutting blade types. Of course a lot of the "40+ pieces" are just sheets of sand paper but there are at least ten or so blades I believe. I think the same kit is available on Amazon for a similar price.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #22  
I bought the rigid cordless and it was flimsy.
I needed to cut out an opening for a bath ceiling vent, 1 inch plaster with metal lath.
definetly the right type of tool for that job as there was little dust and a nice clean opening that required no patching to finish, the metal lath destroyed the blades fast though. went through 2 of them.

Anyway the rigid got real loose after that one job, so I returned it to HD.

Was thinking about getting another but it would have to be corded for me. last week I got a coupon for the HF model for I think it was only $29. I normaly would never buy HF power tool but I figured for that price and my rare need I would give it a try. I fooled around with it a little and seems to be well worth that price.

JB.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools
   / Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools
{Dremel/rockwell offer 2 yr warranties} how about the lifetime warranty from ridgid?? and now some hitachi tools...the hitachi is sold at lowes, the ridgid at HD.
heehaw

I did not see the Ridgid at Lowes.. All i found was the dremel, Rockwell, and the battery bosch one..

Is the ridgid corded?

brian

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #25  
thatguy said:
I did not see the Ridgid at Lowes.. All i found was the dremel, Rockwell, and the battery bosch one..

Is the ridgid corded?

brian

Rigid is a home depot brand...

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #26  
there is a coupon out there so it is $25 - The variable speed one is $49 ($47 with coupon) -

I ended up buying the variable speed one - BUT I am seriously thinking of taking it back and get a rockwell at Lowes for about $40 more..

Brian

I think it depends on how much you are going to use it. I needed one for a door frame. It was the only way to make the cuts I needed. I bought the Harbor freight one and It did the job well. It seemed to be well constructed and I don't think I'll wear it out. It's a specialty tool as far as I'm concerned and it suits my needs.
If I needed another circular saw or cordless drill I would not consider Harbor Freight, in this case I didn't think I'd be using this thing more than a handful of times so if that's the case buy one,I recomend it.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #27  
I have the HF unit.....used it just today for probably the 3rd time since owning it......it did the job just fine. Using these on an occasional basis....I think the small investment I made for the HF unit will fit my needs.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #28  

Is the ridgid corded?

brian

The Rigid I had was cordless, I think that's the only way theirs comes. the rigid is an interchangable head system you can get a right angle head or a impact driver head or one of those nailer things. because of that interchange system mine got loose right away, looking inside I saw a plastic drive gear, kinda hokey, but they do have lifetime guarantee.

JB.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #29  
I bought the rigid cordless and it was flimsy.
I needed to cut out an opening for a bath ceiling vent, 1 inch plaster with metal lath.
definetly the right type of tool for that job as there was little dust and a nice clean opening that required no patching to finish, the metal lath destroyed the blades fast though. went through 2 of them.

Anyway the rigid got real loose after that one job, so I returned it to HD.

Was thinking about getting another but it would have to be corded for me. last week I got a coupon for the HF model for I think it was only $29. I normaly would never buy HF power tool but I figured for that price and my rare need I would give it a try. I fooled around with it a little and seems to be well worth that price.

JB.

This is generally the same as my own experience with the HF tool. (No personal experience with Ridgid) I used the sander on the exterior windows to remove loose paint and used it to sand up against the baseboard on a wood floor besides making some trim/cabinet cuts.

This is not a tool you'd use everyday, but when you need it, it would be hard to make some of these cuts any other way. If you're a contractor that would use the tool more frequently, then maybe the FEIN is the way to go. For infrequent use for these difficult cuts, it's a good way to go.

The HF blade is held on by a simple bolt that is tightened with an allen wrench.

/ Thoughts on the vibrating multi-tools #30  
For those of you using the HF, Rigid or brand other than Fein, a question for you.
If you were to use the tool for a solid 20 minutes or more, does you hand numb from the vibration? I've owned the Fein for many years now and it is very smooth.