Tig welding practice tjoint.

• Thread starter Deleted member 371759
  • Start date
   / Tig welding practice tjoint. #1  
D

Deleted member 371759

Some TIG welding practice. Feel free to tell me how terrible I am. 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten, 160 amps. 11/64th hot rolled steel . 15cfh argon. Stubby #8 gas lens.
IMG_20230702_215141.jpg

/ Tig welding practice tjoint. #2  
A little ruff at the beginning, very good in the middle (steady and constant) but then there is some porosity at the end... I am sure you know what you did wrong at the beginning but do you know what went wrong at the end ?

You are doing good, keep it up and do more of what you did in the middle.

/ Tig welding practice tjoint.
A little ruff at the beginning, very good in the middle (steady and constant) but then there is some porosity at the end... I am sure you know what you did wrong at the beginning but do you know what went wrong at the end ?

You are doing good, keep it up and do more of what you did in the middle.
I may have taken the filler out of the argon shielding.

/ Tig welding practice tjoint. #4  
Might be a touch cold, but hard to tell from that photo. The HAZ is quite often your best indicator of how well it went. That nice blued line on the vertical leg shows that you started off a bit cold (perhaps did not wait long enough to build the puddle), then ran pretty consistent until you ran into some problems in the last ~inch and then started to put in too much heat as you probably stalled out a bit. Generally I'd say that is quite decent esp if you are saying this is like a first attempt. Far better than I ever started off...

/ Tig welding practice tjoint. #5  
I was looking at the last part also, with their big rounded appearances. Those do look a little cold.
It has been a while since I did any tig welding, and I am sure that is probably a lot better than I could do!
David from jax

/ Tig welding practice tjoint. #6  
I always say to myself, It's good enough for who it's for. Or I'm not building a spaceship. :ROFLMAO:

That would get the job done around here. (y)

Some of todays practice.
IMG_20230705_181542.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_181616.jpg
    IMG_20230705_181616.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
   / Tig welding practice tjoint. #8  
Practice is the key. Also remember to run a bead before you start to weld on repair just to get the feel going again. Otherwise your doing great and it will get better!

/ Tig welding practice tjoint. #9  
With both of those joints I find I need to hold the arc on the bottom plate much more and wash up to the T or the lap piece. The bottom piece tends to soak up more heat as it is in the middle of the coupon whereas the other piece is just hitting an edge. That is why you look a bit cold on the toes at the bottom plate. Very nice consistency. I wish I could be so consistent!

Tonights joint. Then I blew the corner off a piece of 1/8th inch because I got stuck got angry and quit.
IMG_20230706_181758.jpg