Tig welding practice tjoint.

• Thread starter Deleted member 371759
  • Start date
   / Tig welding practice tjoint. #11  
Next step is to bandsaw a cross section perpendicular through the bead and look at penetration. BTW, are you left handed?
rScotty

/ Tig welding practice tjoint.
Here is some coped pipe from today. Think she got a little warm.

Attachments

• IMG_20230708_185234.jpg
    IMG_20230708_185234.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20230708_185055.jpg
    IMG_20230708_185055.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 71
   / Tig welding practice tjoint. #13  
Some TIG welding practice. Feel free to tell me how terrible I am. 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten, 160 amps. 11/64th hot rolled steel . 15cfh argon. Stubby #8 gas lens. View attachment 809108
If I was you I would just get rid of that TIG machine. Send it to me. I could always use another. Take up needlepoint instead. Even better, keep TIG welding because your weld looks fine and your welds will only get better. I know, you will get a lot of nit-picking advice, which is fine, but your weld bead really looks better than many of the beads I see done by folks who weld for a living. There is a little difference in travel speed and it looks like the shielding gas may have been blown away in one spot, but that could just be the camera. I'm pretty sure you know already where the weld bead is not ideal and don't need anybody here to tell you. But to reiterate you bead is pretty good and if you did that bead for me and I was paying for the work I wouldn't complain.
Eric

If I was you I would just get rid of that TIG machine. Send it to me. I could always use another. Take up needlepoint instead. Even better, keep TIG welding because your weld looks fine and your welds will only get better. I know, you will get a lot of nit-picking advice, which is fine, but your weld bead really looks better than many of the beads I see done by folks who weld for a living. There is a little difference in travel speed and it looks like the shielding gas may have been blown away in one spot, but that could just be the camera. I'm pretty sure you know already where the weld bead is not ideal and don't need anybody here to tell you. But to reiterate you bead is pretty good and if you did that bead for me and I was paying for the work I wouldn't complain.
Eric
Thanks. I really appreciate that. Im trying hard to get good at tig welding. I does not come naturally to me. Im not a super coordinated guy. So its going to be interesting. Im also not super artistic which it seems like a lot of good tig welders are.

Trying out a technique I saw Jody from welding tips and tricks do. He called it back step. Start in the middle and took it to the tapered end then start at the end and take it to the middle. Kinda a cool technique to keep the heat out. Terrible weld but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_090218.jpg
    IMG_20230709_090218.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57