Tiller operation in a fenced garden

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden
I use a Kubota MX5100 with a 6 ft tiller behind. I marked off my row length then drove my tractor to the end of the marked row and made my turns on each end. This showed me how much room my fence needed to enclose. It turned out to be 150 ft long - 100 ft rows with 25 ft on each end for turning. It is tight and if I have my loader on I have to raise it to pass above the fence. Works fine without the loader. I have a lane down the side of my garden that allows me to get the tractor in the fence. The lane is just a section that doesn't get planted. Dimensions of the garden are length 150' the width is 100' on one end and 80 on the other. One side has an "L" in it to create the 20' lane.

I have a Farmall 140 cultivating tractor that I put the hiller discs on to make my lists/beds. I occasionally borrow my neighbor's 3 pt hitch bedder. The draw back on the 3 pt bedder is it doesn't plow out the tire tracks.

Thanks Ted,
I have seen bedders that have sweeps on them to take out the tire tracks.....
Your layout is similar to what I used to do.. And I think it is what I will end up doing again.

Regards,
Chris

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden #32  
Thanks Lou,

I wis thinking of something like this to keep the weeds down between the rows..

Trimmer Plus Cultivator Attachment for Split Boom Gas Trimmers, Model# GC720 | Trimmer Heads Blades| Northern Tool + Equipment

In the garden I had years ago I was out ther a couple of times a week with the hoe and the file.... Ever use a wheel how? I never have.. I wonder how they work.

Thanks,
Chris
I have one of these :STIHL YARD BOSS® - Multi-task Gardening Tools | STIHL USA , and I love it. It has just enough weight to work the ground well, but is light enough to carry around(mine has the wheels, and folds up nicely).............beats the heck out of that old Ryobi I had

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden #33  
My dilemma is......"how much garden do I want"? The other side of planting is harvesting, storing, selling, canning, freezing and the justification for it all. With my wife (RIP) and four kids gone, I give the stuff away by the truck load. One of my DIL puts up a lot and feeds her big family. But there is still a lot of stoop labor to picking and gathering etc. I can't do all that and there isn't a machine for it.....The grandkids just aren't into all that sweat that I grew up with.

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden #34  
My dilemma is......"how much garden do I want"? The other side of planting is harvesting, storing, selling, canning, freezing and the justification for it all. With my wife (RIP) and four kids gone, I give the stuff away by the truck load. One of my DIL puts up a lot and feeds her big family. But there is still a lot of stoop labor to picking and gathering etc. I can't do all that and there isn't a machine for it.....The grandkids just aren't into all that sweat that I grew up with.

My father and myself plant way more than we should. I think it's more for therapy. I usually offer it up to friends to come pick. Usually works out. My father has befriended a few people that are way worse off than us and let's them have what they want. Maybe find somebody in need?

My father and myself plant way more than we should. I think it's more for therapy. I usually offer it up to friends to come pick. Usually works out. My father has befriended a few people that are way worse off than us and let's them have what they want. Maybe find somebody in need?

What about taking what you can't use to a food pantry?

Regards,
Chris

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden #36  
That would work too. I don't mind picking it myself, but like oldballs my dad is getting older and just can't pick it all himself.

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden #37  
When we fenced ours in, I went from a 4' tractor mounted to a walk behind front tine.

Went from 4-5 passes leasurly sitting on the seat to hanging on to a bucking bronco tiller for 30 minutes. :thumbdown:

When we fenced ours in, I went from a 4' tractor mounted to a walk behind front tine.

Went from 4-5 passes leasurly sitting on the seat to hanging on to a bucking bronco tiller for 30 minutes. :thumbdown:

How did you let yourself get talked into that? LOL

Regards,
Chris

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden #39  
What about taking what you can't use to a food pantry?

Regards,
Chris

that's a wonderful idea, and for my garden's second year, I'm going to try to get some produce down to Philabundance, which is the only local resource to take fresh food.
I have bought a zillion jars of peanut butter for the local food bank, now it will be nice to actually grow it my self. Not peanut butter of course...:)

boy this discussion strikes home, and I bet a bunch of us are getting in the mood, planning our gardens now that Feb is upon us.
When I built mine, 50x100, I used six by six posts and ten foot plastic deer fencing. And in order to get the tractor in, I hope, I did something interesting with the fence.
I wanted to be able to open a section easily, my gate is big enough for my garden tractor and pull behind tiller, but not for either tractor.
so I used ten foot high strips of pressure treated "lath", basically one by ones or close, pulled the fence tight and then laid the strips on top of the plastic, and with about four screws per strip,
drilled them in using square head stainless screws. My plan is to unscrew the panel on the end, and just roll the fence back, and not have to deal with old rusty wire or ripping the fencing using my
"old" methods.

With the Gravely tractor and pull behind DR tiller, I really don't need to do anything but drive the tiller in, and try not to hit the plastic walkways. Someday I plan enlarging the garden and will open up the far end and just extend it.
Only have to move two posts so not hard, and the plastic is in enough pieces, albeit large, that I don't have to take the whole thing down. If I go larger, say 50x150 or 50x200, it may be time to get a nice rear tiller for the Kubota.
time to drive in comfort instead of eating dust...

About twenty years ago I built a similar sized garden on our farm. Was in the same place my Dad had built a garden when he was alive, so I knew the soil was wonderful there. Used very heavy deer fencing which was pretty indestructible.
And I found out how strong it was. Everyone's dreaded nightmare, catching a tine in the plastic. I was using a conventional front tiller, and the tiller climbed about three feet up the fence until I could stop it. Boy do I wish I had gone for a camera. Instead I was so embarrassed for my "poor driving" that i promptly got the tiller down. When I went to do my current garden, I tried to get the same strong plastic. Whooeey. I remembered it had been about seventy bucks a roll back then. Now it was 270 a roll. Thank you oil prices. I used thinner stuff from Tractor Supply, no way I was buying three rolls of that expensive stuff. Besides it would probably outlast me, and with a good solar powered electric fence around the garden, I'm hoping not too many animals experiment with the fence. our first year, zero animals/critters in the garden. And we have deer and ground hogs everywhere. Guess I built it ok, though six by sixes are a bit of overkill for a garden, but using my phd, no problem.

I've used my string trimmer at times to beat down the weeds, fully organic garden so trying to avoid any chemicals.

Driving "through" the garden with a tractor sure beats trying to turn it around inside. I also thought sticking with my garden tractor and tiller would compress the dirt less, with all our clay that turns into concrete.

/ Tiller operation in a fenced garden #40