Tiller

/ Tiller
What is folks thoughts on gear drive versus chain. Seems like the chain drive are more money. I thought the gears ones would be more.

/ Tiller #12  
With the gear drive all the force is only on one tooth. This gives you the same weakness that some dozers have in their final drives.

Chain drives reduce the shock load to up stream components by absorbing some of the energy first.

/ Tiller #14  
As far as tillers go I got a KK 60" and have been very happy with it. I researched it to death here on TBN and couldn't find any reason to not get one.

Got mine from Everything Attachments. They were great to deal with and free shipping.

/ Tiller
I've got a deal for a 72" Taylor way new for 1700 and a land pride 1566 for 2790. It's a grand difference. That's why I was looking for any experience with Taylor way.

/ Tiller #16  
how about a Kuhn tiller, I have a kubota 5740 and am looking at a Kuhn 62-210 which is 84". Anybody ever use one of these behind a tractor this size? they are quite a bit higher than most other
brands, just wonder if the extra expense is worth it?

/ Tiller #17  
Here in Oregon, we pay a premium price for what you pay back east; i forked out 2300 for a 5' KK tiller. Recently, Prefert is selling at the same farm store I bought my KK at. A 5 foot Prefert sells for about 1800. It has heaver steel in the sheet metal than the KK so less likely to dent and crack the paint. the gear box and tines look about the same. If I had to do it over again i would gamble on the prefert.
After looking at the prefert, I am removing the sheet metal on the KK and having steel re-bent and welded into place that should make it look nice as the sheetmetal is cracking loose because of the vibrations...

/ Tiller #18  
If you are considering doing custom work, a reverse tine rotation tiller from land pride is tops on my list. Just be sure you have the horse power to run it.

/ Tiller #19  
how about a Kuhn tiller, I have a kubota 5740 and am looking at a Kuhn 62-210 which is 84". Anybody ever use one of these behind a tractor this size? they are quite a bit higher than most other
brands, just wonder if the extra expense is worth it?

Don't want to step on the thread of the OP but I guess this is ok. I've got that exact tiller Railbender. Used it two years here behind a Kubota L5040. Outstanding machine. It has a amazing ability to not get stuff wraped around the rotor. I can just till down tall weeds and grass and its clean as a whistle. I can't figure out how it does it as my other tillers wrap badly in tall stuff. The depth wheels are a super nice feature. Much easier and faster to adjust the depth. In deep soil its a lug on the tractor in my dirt. You have 6 more PTO hp so that will help. What prices are you getting quoted? I'm not far away in BG KY but my tiller is off the tractor or I would offer a demo for you. Oh there isn't any zerk to grease on the rotor shaft which is kinda suprising to me but they must know what they are doing cause the rest of the machine is pretty darn near perfect.

/ Tiller #20  
Here in Oregon, we pay a premium price for what you pay back east; i forked out 2300 for a 5' KK tiller. Recently, Prefert is selling at the same farm store I bought my KK at. A 5 foot Prefert sells for about 1800. It has heaver steel in the sheet metal than the KK so less likely to dent and crack the paint. the gear box and tines look about the same. If I had to do it over again i would gamble on the prefert.
After looking at the prefert, I am removing the sheet metal on the KK and having steel re-bent and welded into place that should make it look nice as the sheetmetal is cracking loose because of the vibrations...

After looking at the Priefert web site it looks like they use the same gearboxes as the Tarter units. If I was going to do all that re-working on the KK unit I would probably set it up to change it to a reverse unit. If you are using the tillers on real hard pan surface then maybe a reverse unit would help more it you do not have rocks to deal with.